Dig A Little Deeper: Dopey 2019

So you didn't even step foot in the merch area at the expo?? You are strong! That was my first stop!

Agree about the 3D/simulator-type rides - I personally LOVE FoP (minus that awful pre-show) but in general I can't handle most of the rides at Universal because they all make me queasy. I can handle FoP though - for me it is a bit more intense than Soarin, but not as bad as Star Tours. Pandora at night is amazing!

I love Satuli canteen myself - I remember my kids enjoying their food there as well. I just hope Disney doesn't get rid of the restaurants that are a little "different" (AKA - something other than burgers/chicken nuggets/pizza).

So you didn't even step foot in the merch area at the expo?? You are strong! That was my first stop!

Agree about the 3D/simulator-type rides - I personally LOVE FoP (minus that awful pre-show) but in general I can't handle most of the rides at Universal because they all make me queasy. I can handle FoP though - for me it is a bit more intense than Soarin, but not as bad as Star Tours. Pandora at night is amazing!

I love Satuli canteen myself - I remember my kids enjoying their food there as well. I just hope Disney doesn't get rid of the restaurants that are a little "different" (AKA - something other than burgers/chicken nuggets/pizza).

I got within eyeshot of the merch area and that was it! Part of me wishes I checked it out, but a bigger part of me says, “Dude, you just got six shirts!” I definitely didn’t *need* any merch, but some of it looked good. I’ll still probably order a 48.6 decal for my car, but I can find that on Amazon.

FoP was great, but it did leave me queasy. The motion rides were overkill at Universal.

And I agree, re: restaurants. I like having some variety.

Great pics of Pandora at night and the safari. I’m a big Flame Tree fan, haven’t tried Yak and Yeti or Satuli yet.

Great pics of Pandora at night and the safari. I’m a big Flame Tree fan, haven’t tried Yak and Yeti or Satuli yet.

Thanks!

We loved Flame Tree and I recommend checking out Yak and Yeti and Satuli when you have the opportunity.

Day 3, Part 1: Shots, the coldest 5K ever and "Dig A Little Deeper"

My alarm was set for 2:30 a.m. Thursday morning, but Maya - who had her own pull down bed, but had wound up in ours - was kind enough to kick me in the back around 2:20, so I was up and at 'em *real* early.

I brushed my teeth and got dressed for the race - short sleeve compression shirt under a long sleeve Captain America compression shirt, compression shorts, regular shorts, socks and compression sleeves for my legs. I threw on a running stocking cap and a long sleeve throwaway shirt, thinking I'd be warm enough before the race. Turns out, I was very wrong.

Since I was the point person for the pre-race meet-and-greets, I wanted to get to the staging area early. I got to the bus depot right at 3, thinking that's when they left. Turns out, they didn't leave until 3:30. But, the bus driver let me on and we watched a Jackie Chan movie for half an hour.

At 3:30, we got moving and were quickly to the staging area. I immediately noticed that I was under-dressed for standing around for two hours. It was probably about 40 degrees and breezy.

I went to the designated meeting area and held up my fancy, one-of-a-kind, if-you-have-to-ask-how-much-it-cost-you-can't-afford-it "DIS" sign. Very quickly, I met @DustyWA - the first of many Dis-friends I'd meet over the week.

*ATTENTION* I want to pause here and say that I suck at remembering names, screen names, etc. So, I'm not going to tag most of the people I met because I don't want to leave anyone out. A few exceptions will be made.

Anyway, more runDisney all-stars showed up and we all chit-chatted in the cold. Before too long, @jennamfeo showed up and - as we had joked about on Twitter a week or so earlier - she had shots for @rteetz and I. So, I knocked back a shot of Jager before the race. NBD. Thanks, Jenna!

shots.jpg

After shivering in the staging area for a while, we all made our way over to the corrals. I was in A and walked with a few other Dis'rs into the corral. I think we got in there around 5 and I tried to get into the middle of the crowd to warm up a bit, but that was a big fail.

For the 5K, they released runners in "mini waves" within each corral. The idea makes sense in theory because the corrals were so big, but the execution was whack. It seemed like they were only letting 100 or so people go at a time. I think I was probably in wave A5 or A6, meaning I started around 5:40 or 5:42.

5K1.jpg

The first two miles were pretty tame, which I expected. I took it pretty easy since I had zero intent of PRing anything this weekend and wanted to save my legs as much as possible for the full.

The fun really began when we hit Epcot. We entered the World Showcase (near China, I think?) and I immediately recognized the music playing. "Dig A Little Deeper." I was floored and smiling like crazy. That song has been my Disney jam for the last month.

Then, I don't know if it was the cold, exhaustion or what, but I felt a tad emotional. I had been looking forward to running through World Showcase with the lights and torches on for months and it was beautiful. Couple with with the verse in "Dig A Little Deeper" about how much Tiana's dad loved her and me thinking about my own girls and it was just an emotional experience. I haven't experienced anything like that since running down Main Street, USA during my first full in 2017. Disney magic hits you right in the heart, sometimes.

Anyway, World Showcase was gorgeous in the early morning hours. I would have liked to see it as the sun was coming up just a bit, but this was pretty perfect.

Torii.jpg

I finished and got my Oswald the Lucky Rabbit medal, which was probably my favorite of the weekend.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRUNDISNEY_8304166362 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After the race I grabbed a food box and a powerade. They were also giving out plastic sheets to block the wind, which was much appreciated.

The last waves of runners for the 5K hadn't started yet and the buses couldn't leave, so I decided to get into the Oswald character line. I wanted to get a pic with him and I figured if I was going to be standing around in the cold, I might as well do something worthwhile.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRUNDISNEY_8304692166 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

By the time I met Oswald, 45 minutes had passed and the buses were now running. I got on the third or fourth bus, but was quickly back to POR.

Next up: Magic Kingdom!

I’m with you the getting emotional during a race. Out of the blue, I got choked up during the 10k last year. It was one of those times where it just all hit me how beautiful Epcot was in the dark and how I loved running at Disney. Great pic with Oswald! I was totally fine with “just” doing Goofy and then they had to go and release the 5k medal.

Day 3, Part 1: Shots, the coldest 5K ever and "Dig A Little Deeper"

My alarm was set for 2:30 a.m. Thursday morning, but Maya - who had her own pull down bed, but had wound up in ours - was kind enough to kick me in the back around 2:20, so I was up and at 'em *real* early.

I brushed my teeth and got dressed for the race - short sleeve compression shirt under a long sleeve Captain America compression shirt, compression shorts, regular shorts, socks and compression sleeves for my legs. I threw on a running stocking cap and a long sleeve throwaway shirt, thinking I'd be warm enough before the race. Turns out, I was very wrong.

Since I was the point person for the pre-race meet-and-greets, I wanted to get to the staging area early. I got to the bus depot right at 3, thinking that's when they left. Turns out, they didn't leave until 3:30. But, the bus driver let me on and we watched a Jackie Chan movie for half an hour.

At 3:30, we got moving and were quickly to the staging area. I immediately noticed that I was under-dressed for standing around for two hours. It was probably about 40 degrees and breezy.

I went to the designated meeting area and held up my fancy, one-of-a-kind, if-you-have-to-ask-how-much-it-cost-you-can't-afford-it "DIS" sign. Very quickly, I met @DustyWA - the first of many Dis-friends I'd meet over the week.

*ATTENTION* I want to pause here and say that I suck at remembering names, screen names, etc. So, I'm not going to tag most of the people I met because I don't want to leave anyone out. A few exceptions will be made.

Anyway, more runDisney all-stars showed up and we all chit-chatted in the cold. Before too long, @jennamfeo showed up and - as we had joked about on Twitter a week or so earlier - she had shots for @rteetz and I. So, I knocked back a shot of Jager before the race. NBD. Thanks, Jenna!

View attachment 376873

After shivering in the staging area for a while, we all made our way over to the corrals. I was in A and walked with a few other Dis'rs into the corral. I think we got in there around 5 and I tried to get into the middle of the crowd to warm up a bit, but that was a big fail.

For the 5K, they released runners in "mini waves" within each corral. The idea makes sense in theory because the corrals were so big, but the execution was whack. It seemed like they were only letting 100 or so people go at a time. I think I was probably in wave A5 or A6, meaning I started around 5:40 or 5:42.

View attachment 376874

The first two miles were pretty tame, which I expected. I took it pretty easy since I had zero intent of PRing anything this weekend and wanted to save my legs as much as possible for the full.

The fun really began when we hit Epcot. We entered the World Showcase (near China, I think?) and I immediately recognized the music playing. "Dig A Little Deeper." I was floored and smiling like crazy. That song has been my Disney jam for the last month.

Then, I don't know if it was the cold, exhaustion or what, but I felt a tad emotional. I had been looking forward to running through World Showcase with the lights and torches on for months and it was beautiful. Couple with with the verse in "Dig A Little Deeper" about how much Tiana's dad loved her and me thinking about my own girls and it was just an emotional experience. I haven't experienced anything like that since running down Main Street, USA during my first full in 2017. Disney magic hits you right in the heart, sometimes.

Anyway, World Showcase was gorgeous in the early morning hours. I would have liked to see it as the sun was coming up just a bit, but this was pretty perfect.

View attachment 376875

I finished and got my Oswald the Lucky Rabbit medal, which was probably my favorite of the weekend.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRUNDISNEY_8304166362 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After the race I grabbed a food box and a powerade. They were also giving out plastic sheets to block the wind, which was much appreciated.

The last waves of runners for the 5K hadn't started yet and the buses couldn't leave, so I decided to get into the Oswald character line. I wanted to get a pic with him and I figured if I was going to be standing around in the cold, I might as well do something worthwhile.

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRUNDISNEY_8304692166 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

By the time I met Oswald, 45 minutes had passed and the buses were now running. I got on the third or fourth bus, but was quickly back to POR.

Next up: Magic Kingdom!
I’m enjoying reading along! My favorite race moments are also the run towards the castle all lit up for the half and full and entering Epcot with torches lit during the 10k. Those moments are magic.

Your photos are great!

Come on you’re from Iowa and that’s the coldest 5K ever? ;)

I definitely love the music and atmosphere of running through World Showcase.

Okay...I might be exaggerating a tad, but not by much.

The Sampson Stomp at the Milwaukee Zoo was probably a little colder. I’m talking official races, not just training outside.

Great race recap! I cried all the way around WS at the end of the marathon (they were playing "You'll Be in My Heart" - always makes me think of my girls) - so I get it! It really is the moments like those that make running at Disney so very special.

Love the Oswald medal! I was sorry to miss out on that one this year.

Great race recap! I cried all the way around WS at the end of the marathon (they were playing "You'll Be in My Heart" - always makes me think of my girls) - so I get it! It really is the moments like those that make running at Disney so very special.

Love the Oswald medal! I was sorry to miss out on that one this year.

The Oswald medal is sooooo good!

Well done on the Oswald race. I was supposed to be doing that but didn't make the race due to illness :sad2: It annoys me because their policy is to not send the medals to anyone who didn't make it to the race which I get but then you've other people who clearly did the race and now have their medals for sale on ebay for like 95 dollars :eek::faint:

Well done on the Oswald race. I was supposed to be doing that but didn't make the race due to illness :sad2: It annoys me because their policy is to not send the medals to anyone who didn't make it to the race which I get but then you've other people who clearly did the race and now have their medals for sale on ebay for like 95 dollars :eek::faint:

Sorry to hear about your illness! Bummer about the medal.

Hopping aboard a little late. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures.

I am thinking Yak and Yeti for lunch my next trip. I have only tried the counter service but want to give the full service a try .

Love the report. I love running around World Showcase but haven’t done it when it’s dark out. That’s awesome about the song. I’d made my playlist for the marathon and hadn’t seen Princess and the Frog. My daughter made me watch it and I had to put that song in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!