Different use Years

thebigman65

DIS Veteran
Hello All, Currently we have a Feb use year and I came across a good deal on a resale I want to look at, but it has a Sept use year. Typically we travel in Sept and then April/May. How difficult is it to juggle 2 use years?

I have 4 UYs - not difficult at all!

Hello All, Currently we have a Feb use year and I came across a good deal on a resale I want to look at, but it has a Sept use year. Typically we travel in Sept and then April/May. How difficult is it to juggle 2 use years?
With 2 UYs, you will have 2 separate memberships. The points are not easily combined between the two. You have to transfer points from one membership to the other in order to make one reservation with the points. You also need to keep track of different banking deadlines (just put a reminder in your phone).

While not impossible to deal with, it can make things more complicated than they need to be.

Depends.

For many, it's easy - just part of the game.

But the first time you forget to bank since the 2 contracts have different banking deadlines... or run into issues since you can use 3 years' worth of pts under 1 membership but can run into trouble doing that with separate UYs (remember that you cannot borrow transferred pts - and you cannot pool pts from separate memberships without transferring them - so limitations may trip you up at some point)... you might regret it. Some owners find it to be too much trouble.

Unless you intend to use the contracts separately for trips at different times of year, I would stick with 1 UY. But if it's a great deal and you are very organized, then sure - put in an offer...

If you remember to use your Sept contract for your Sept stays, and your Feb contract for your April/May stays, then you should be okay. We also travel throughout the year, so got 2 disparate (June and Dec) UY to split the difference.

I'll have three use years once my contracts close. I think if you plan to bank, borrow and transfer between the memberships routinely, calling MS to use transferred points can be a pain, and the risk losing points are higher. But if using the memberships separately, multiple use years don't seem that complicated to me.

But if using the memberships separately, multiple use years don't seem that complicated to me.

We have 2 resorts, 2 UY by choice - so far we haven't had a need to transfer. We are thinking of using both sets of points for a bigger trip in 2020, but as it stands right now, we will probably just book a split stay at 11 mo and decide if we want to switch one at 7 months. If we do a long-ish trip, we will probably prefer to stay at 2 different places.

We have 2 contracts at different resorts with different UY. It isn't difficult, but you do have to keep track of when you need to bank points/use points. Like everything, if you pay attention to what you are doing, its not difficult.

If each are of sufficient size to stand alone and you will use them independently for the Sept then the April/May trips, it's fine. If not, there wouldn't be enough savings to justify doing so IMO.

We have two different use years at two different resorts, and I did that on purpose. Our first contract has a December use year-when we bought that, I didn't really put any thought in choosing a specific UY. Thankfully, it worked out because we use that one for traveling in the Spring.

When we purchased our second contract at PVC, they tried to sell me a December UY, but since we use this contract for Fall trips, I insisted on a September UY.

They are not hard to manage at all.

just book a split stay at 11 mo and decide if we want to switch one at 7 months.
Would you say this tactic bypasses the need to transfer points? Simple book 2 consecutive reservations at your 11 month resorts with each contract then at 7 months modify one of the reservations, if there is availability or waitlist. I guess the sticky point would be if the reservations would need to be cancelled, if the UY are very different then possibility of losing points is greater.

We are planning a possible add on and for the purpose of increasing our contract option we are open to different UY. We don't mind split stays so I am guessing that we could just consistently plan split stays to avoid the need to transfer points and then still need to call MS to make a reservation. Now if only the DVC system allowed us to see transferred points.

Would you say this tactic bypasses the need to transfer points? Simple book 2 consecutive reservations at your 11 month resorts with each contract then at 7 months modify one of the reservations, if there is availability or waitlist. I guess the sticky point would be if the reservations would need to be cancelled, if the UY are very different then possibility of losing points is greater.

We are planning a possible add on and for the purpose of increasing our contract option we are open to different UY. We don't mind split stays so I am guessing that we could just consistently plan split stays to avoid the need to transfer points and then still need to call MS to make a reservation. Now if only the DVC system allowed us to see transferred points.

Transferring points doesn’t get around home resort priority and split stays are between ifferent resorts. Nor does transferring change UY and banking deadlines

Transferring just allows a reservation to be booked as a singke reservation but it has to fit Within the home resort priorities and use year. If you are looking to add on at a resort you already own at Then a transfer to be done and single reservation booked. Or else you could book the nights required within each of the memberships and have them linked or a continuing stay, that’s not a split stay.

Transferring points doesn’t get around home resort priority and split stays are between ifferent resorts. Nor does transferring change UY and banking deadlines

What KAT said - we have 2 resorts and 2UY, they overlap (within banking window) in August, so say we did an 8-day vacation, we'd book the first 4 days at the 11 mo window at home resort 1, and book the second 4 days, 4 days later, at HR2. The potential problem here is that if you're trying to get a busy week (fall frenzy, Xmas), you may not find availability for your second part of the stay if everyone's booked their HR for the full week+ or is walking. Though I don't see that happening in August. Then at 7 mo, I could look at availability at a resort I don't own, say, AKV or BCV, and if there's availability, use the points from one of the 4-day stays to book there. And if there's no availability, I still have 2 home resorts. So no point transfers because it's always 2 different consecutive reservations.

(note - I haven't yet done this in practice, but likely will in 2020. Xmas trips will still be using all the points from one home resort.)

2 UYs no problem - Feb & Jun
We started off with the June UYs and found that we like to travel in May. So when we purchased added-on we purchased a contract with a UY that works for May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!