Differences between Swan and Dolphin?

happily single

Left foot first!
I was on Priceline playing around and noticed the Dolphin for about $238 a night, but the Swan was over $350. Is there one advantage over the other, especially when the difference is over $100?

There is a Swan/Dolphin thread you might want to check but here is what I know. The Swan is smaller than the Dolphin. The beds at the Swan are queen, double at the Dolphin. Swan has a sink in the bathroom and a vanity and sink outside the bathroom. It seems, and this might be perception in my part, that the Dolphin tends to have more convention people. I've stayed at both and enjoy them both, you can use the facilities at both when staying at either.

The price seems to ebb and flow. I’ve seen times where Dolphin is pricier than the Swan.

My personal preference is the Swan because of the queen beds, and it’s smaller size makes it easier to run back to the rooms. The buses go to Swan first, so you’re more likely to get a seat. The Garden Grove restaurant has character meals, though it’s easy for Dolphin guests to walk over.

With the double beds, the Dolphin rooms can accommodate a rollaway bed, making it the best bargain in the crescent lake area for a family of five (assuming your family can sleep two to a double bed). Also the Dolphin is closer to the main feature pool, though the facilities are shared between the resorts and not a hard walk from either. Dolphin has better quick serve options.

My personal preference is the Swan because of the queen beds
This is what made our decision. We have a king at home. We're okay in a queen but not in a double. That's just a guarantee that neither of us will sleep well. We liked the Swan just fine though I can't compare it to the Dolphin having never stayed there. No way I would spend $350 for it, though.

The simple answer: they were designed as upscale, business convention hotels but appealed to different markets. The Swan was designed as a more deluxe, upscale property with greater amenities and according was managed by the Westin whereas the Dolphin was managed by the Sheraton.

During the 1990s, Starwood acquired both the Sheraton and Westin brands. Although the latter was kept as a more upscale brand, there was some convergence through the years, and this is best reflected by the Swan and Dolphin.

(Marriott acquires Starwood several years ago and now owns their brands.)

There are several nice things about the Dolphin. 1. the 24 hour Picabu quick service dining is located in the bottom of the dolphin. 2. Picabu is one of the locations that you can use the refillable mugs so it is convenient for that. There can be more conventioneers hanging out at the lobby bar at the dolphin.
btw, the character dining is stopping soon at the Swan.

Where did you read that?
The character breakfast that has always been on weekends is going to 7 day/week for several busy periods in 2020, including fall dates.
I am sorry that I misread the info, they are ONLY doing away with the character DINNERS. The character breakfasts will continue to take place every Saturday and Sunday. During busy periods, the character breakfast will take place 7 days a week, 2/29-4/12, 6/1-8/31, and 11/21-1/3/21.

I am sorry that I misread the info, they are ONLY doing away with the character DINNERS. The character breakfasts will continue to take place every Saturday and Sunday. During busy periods, the character breakfast will take place 7 days a week, 2/29-4/12, 6/1-8/31, and 11/21-1/3/21.

Well, that's a bit of a bummer because it's really the only off-property character dinner I know of. It's nice to have a more budget-friendly dinner option.

On the other hand, we don't do much character dining, but liked the character breakfast when we went. I wish it were offered during weekdays for our trip, but I'll take the (predicted) lower crowds of May instead!

Pick your priority. The Dolphin has better amenities (i.e. quick service restaurants, ice cream, lobby bar, etc) but the Swan has bigger beds. If you are looking for a single King bed, I pick the Dolphin every time. If you need two beds, you have to decide if the Queen vs Double is a difference maker for you.

We stayed at Swan once and both are basically the same hotel, theming is slightly different but amenities are very similar. I'd pick the cheaper of the two

We like the Swan slightly better than the Dolphin due to the smaller size but we book whichever is cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter