Diet Madness - Tony's Town Square Review

The up side is - they all seemed to be very confident the new chef will listen and try different things, as far as the bean counters will let her.

I admit that in the hamstrung aspect, I really didn't give enough weight to this when eating at many restaurants.

A takeaway from this episode, for me, was the chef is essentially given a BOM (bill of materials), profit margins, etc. It does make me think if there are constant negotiations between the chef(s) and those bean counters. And to that end, how much latitude is a "new" chef given on menu choices.

I admit that in the hamstrung aspect, I really didn't give enough weight to this when eating at many restaurants.

A takeaway from this episode, for me, was the chef is essentially given a BOM (bill of materials), profit margins, etc. It does make me think if there are constant negotiations between the chef(s) and those bean counters. And to that end, how much latitude is a "new" chef given on menu choices.
::yes::

Seen it way too many times in my long years working for a governmental entity. "New blood, enthusiasm, and hope" habitually ground down, and finally away, by the owners of the books, crackers of the whips, and purveyors of the power, as long as they retained the power and position, which also can change on a dime, if not at least cyclically.

As I always say - staying within a reasonable budget, and making profits for your shareholders (of which I am one) is all laudable. But many times, there are things which are priceless. And, may I add, intangible, so not seen when looking for "the bottom line". Including guest experience, happiness, enjoyment, sentimental feelings about good times and memories associated with a favorite meal, or place, and special times spent with family and friends, among others. This - to me - is what a restaurant and dining experience should be, no matter the price point, or fanciness of the establishment. Otherwise it's just a dining hall to shove sustenance down your gullet until the next serving time. Of course there has to be concession in thought when it's a quick service vs. a table service, that's only logical.

Last edited:
The point I was basically trying to convey (and I'm pretty sure they were saying, although I can't speak for them) is "Somebody should clue in Tony's - they need to add berries to this recipe" because the Balsamic BY ITSELF - apparently - is not good, not a thing, and offputting. Sorry if I didn't verbalize my thoughts/comments clearly before, hope I did a better job now. The up side is - they all seemed to be very confident the new chef will listen and try different things, as far as the bean counters will let her.

And this thought is aside, and unique, from the thinking it was chocolate thing - whole 'nother thing going on there!!

Well, whether or not you think the CONCEPT of this is ok/could work (and we have balsamic reduction with goat cheese at home quite often, no berries or anything with it - just balsamic and cheese is great. Also have it with mozzarella and tomatoes all the time) the server should be VERY clear as to what the sauce it - both when it is ordered and when it is brought to the table.

At least online the menu simply states:

Seasonal Cheesecake
Ask your server for today's specialty

So while the CONCEPT I think is totally acceptable it is certainly not the typical/expected sauce and should be made clear to the diner

Okay - to heck with the spoilers, since a lot of it has been stated here already. LOL.

The following is from Charles's written review, which I just got this morning. I forgot he stated the cheesecake description WAS given by their fantastic server, Casey, but he was NOT at the table at the time to hear it. Without further ado, here is a cut/paste of his entire review of the dessert under discussion:

Seasonal Cheesecake – $8.5:

As the first bite of this strawberry cheesecake started stimulating taste buds in my mouth and my brain began processing the flavor information it was given, my first thought was, “Oh my god, this cheesecake is rancid!” I was incorrect, of course. It just so happens that I was not present at the table when a crucial bit of ingredient knowledge was dropped. The sauce, which I had expected to be chocolate or strawberry, was, in fact, balsamic vinaigrette. So, my fault there. Still, though, that is a pretty odd call to make. I understand that balsamic vinaigrette can combine spectacularly with raw strawberries — cheesecake, not so much. I admire swinging for the fences, as this creative combination does, but it was a swing and a miss, and possibly a bat-related injury.

I was not present at the table when a crucial bit of ingredient knowledge was dropped
So at least the server did explain it properly. Charles just wasn't there to hear it.

I do wish all restaurants would PRINT their specials rather than just have the server rattle them off verbally. Especially in a noisy restaurant or for those of us whose ears aren't as young as they used to be, getting all of the details is a real challenge.

As I always say - staying within a reasonable budget, and making profits for your shareholders (of which I am one) is all laudable. But many times, there are things which are priceless. And, may I add, intangible, so not seen when looking for "the bottom line". Including guest experience, happiness, enjoyment, sentimental feelings about good times and memories associated with a favorite meal, or place, and special times spent with family and friends, among others. This - to me - is what a restaurant and dining experience should be, no matter the price point, or fanciness of the establishment. Otherwise it's just a dining hall to shove sustenance down your gullet until the next serving time. Of course there has to be concession in thought when it's a quick service vs. a table service, that's only logical.
Very true, which is why when DW and I dine out, our restaurants of choice are small chef-owned and operated places. Let the chef do his/her thing without any bean counters looking over his/her shoulder. You will rarely find us at a chain restaurant because of that.

Well said, and totally agree with all in your last 2 posts, @disneysteve ! I'll also add that, for myself, and others of us maybe experiencing some short term memory issues, printing not only the ITEMS on the "Specials Menu" is imperative, but so is printing the PRICE. I've been surprised by the final bill, more than once, forgetting what the price I saw was on a chalkboard up front when something SOUNDED good (and I was HANGRY) came! :o

I ate there in early January and felt it was okay nothing special but not the worst meal I’ve ever had either. Due to the menu changes and what not I decided to book it again for November after the wine and dine 5K because it is themed to Lady and the Tramp.

And that's just it...I don't question them saying it was poorly executed and didn't taste right...because it sounds like it was missing some of the flavor components that normally brings this together to make it a success...or maybe it was too deconstructed to bring it all together. It just sounded to me like none of them had ever seen this before, and then Charles went on to talk about his chef girlfriend, who said it's not a thing. But it is. So, that's where my issue came in, since we have seen this in restaurants as well as a handful of cooking shows and food sites/magazines. I mean, I totally get that it would blindside you if you assumed it was chocolate and the menu failed to properly detail what would be on the plate. Oh well.

I agree with you. Just because your chef/girlfriend never heard of it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing.

I literally have cooked over a million pounds of chicken in my life. So I think I can speak with some authority on the matter of chicken being dry and wether or not this is because of the quality of the chicken or more the preparation of it. I personally can’t imagine a place like Tony’s getting chicken so bad that it’s really difficult to prepare and not be dry. Breast meat is very easy to dry out not a lot room for error if the chicken was dry that’s on the kitchen not the cut of meat.

Hmmm the only thing that had me thinking "You should have known better" was Steve's report on his ravioli. Every Italian restaurant I've ever been to only serves child-size portions of ravioli. That's why I never order ravioli and why I advise against it. I never understood that, especially given America's general standards on meal portions in restaurants. Other than that, I'm glad to hear an effort is being made to improve quality there. Pete's salad looked HUGE! Also, I kind of just wish they did away with the theming of Tony's. I can't think of any better ideas at the moment, but I'm sure there's something far more creative they can do with that space than make it Tony's.

Pete got swept off his feet by the chef IMO. giving the place a 7, really? when everyone else had pretty low ratings and seemed to be searching for nice things to say. maybe if Pete's predictions about the coming improvements come true you can justify the rating but to me a 7 coming from a guy with so much experience in doing restaurant reviews surprised me.

i thought overall everyone else was pretty honest and i think Pete was just trying to give the place a rub because the chef was nice and is in a tough spot there in a new role. 7 seems high for a place he's always killed.

Tony's has always been a so-so restaurant. I understand they wanted to tie it into Lady and the Tramp, but I think a complete re-theming should be considered. Since Main Street was fashioned after Walt's home in Missouri, why not make this a great BBQ restaurant?

Okay - to heck with the spoilers, since a lot of it has been stated here already. LOL.

The following is from Charles's written review, which I just got this morning. I forgot he stated the cheesecake description WAS given by their fantastic server, Casey, but he was NOT at the table at the time to hear it. Without further ado, here is a cut/paste of his entire review of the dessert under discussion:

Seasonal Cheesecake – $8.5:

As the first bite of this strawberry cheesecake started stimulating taste buds in my mouth and my brain began processing the flavor information it was given, my first thought was, “Oh my god, this cheesecake is rancid!” I was incorrect, of course. It just so happens that I was not present at the table when a crucial bit of ingredient knowledge was dropped. The sauce, which I had expected to be chocolate or strawberry, was, in fact, balsamic vinaigrette. So, my fault there. Still, though, that is a pretty odd call to make. I understand that balsamic vinaigrette can combine spectacularly with raw strawberries — cheesecake, not so much. I admire swinging for the fences, as this creative combination does, but it was a swing and a miss, and possibly a bat-related injury.
Do you have the URL for Charles's full review?

Hmmm the only thing that had me thinking "You should have known better" was Steve's report on his ravioli. Every Italian restaurant I've ever been to only serves child-size portions of ravioli. That's why I never order ravioli and why I advise against it. I never understood that, especially given America's general standards on meal portions in restaurants. Other than that, I'm glad to hear an effort is being made to improve quality there. Pete's salad looked HUGE! Also, I kind of just wish they did away with the theming of Tony's. I can't think of any better ideas at the moment, but I'm sure there's something far more creative they can do with that space than make it Tony's.

Couldn't agree more. I have yet to find adequate ravioli portions at any restaurant, even outside of theme parks.

Couldn't agree more. I have yet to find adequate ravioli portions at any restaurant, even outside of theme parks.

Ironically, I think Olive Garden serves decent portions. My friend has only ordered stuffed rigatoni, but it's essentially the same thing as ravioli. They serve it in a large skillet-esque pan. Very hearty and delicious. But if you go to any authentic Italian restaurant, it's back to 3 puny pieces of ravioli lol.

Ironically, I think Olive Garden serves decent portions. My friend has only ordered stuffed rigatoni, but it's essentially the same thing as ravioli. They serve it in a large skillet-esque pan. Very hearty and delicious. But if you go to any authentic Italian restaurant, it's back to 3 puny pieces of ravioli lol.

I spent my youth/young adult/adult years growing up in central NJ/Eastern PA. If ANY Italian restaurant skimped on either quality and/or portion size, it would have at least 5X competitors within blocks to overcome their deficiency. That is what I miss most of living in central Florida (and hot dog stands).

I always face the wrath of purists and foodies, but I love Olive Garden. Especially their salad and dressing!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter