Didn't get to ride Hagrid, when should I plan a short return trip that will be inexpensive?

KMc Charlotte

Earning My Ears
My family was at Universal June 20-22-- the week after Hagrid's ride opened. It was closed much of the time we were there, so we were unable to ride it. We decided to upgrade our tickets to AP since it was only $20 extra per ticket. I'd like to return for a day or 2 in the park so we can ride Hagrid (and our favorite rides). We've stayed at Royal Pacific and now the kids are spoiled with the express passes. My dilemma is that I'd like to return and also not spend too much on the room since we have a trip to Costa Rica in July 2020 planned. I need advice on when the best time would be to visit for low crowds and low hotel prices.

It's probably going to have to be a weekend since I don't want to pull kids (twins, age 11) from middle school. Most of the school holidays coincide with national holidays and spring bring (and oddly we have some teach work days midweek which isn't optimal). When is a slower time for Universal? It seems that all the special events have kind of removed the seasonal lulls of years long past. Also, when would be best for good AP hotel rates (how far out do they post these rates? do they book up fast? do more appear closer to the actual date?). Finally, is there a time we could go on a weekend and stay at a non express pass hotel and still have short waits with out the Express Pass? Please let me know what you think is best.

If we can't find a slow time in the year, we go to FL anually in June so we could tack it on before the trip in mid June before the AP exprires. It was so darn hot and busy then, I was hoping to find another time to take them, though.

We'll be driving down from NC, so it's a 8 hr drive for us. Not just a hop skip and a jump- but easy to do on a weekend.

To be safe, I'd vote for very early Dec. Lower times, less crowded, and the prices for hotels are lower, as well as by then Hagrid's coaster should have no excuse, but to be a well oiled machine by then.

Last year we went in early December and it was the least crowded I've ever seen it, plus the Christmas decorations were so nice, both in the parks and the hotels. The hotel rates are cheaper as well.

On the negative side, the parks close earlier so you can't enjoy rides at night. If you have Seasonal AP's you will be blocked out of going into US on days when they have concerts. So plan to go to IOA on those days. Also I found it chilly in the mornings (50's) so I ended up buying hoodies to wear around in the parks until it warmed up later on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter