Did you go out for pizza as a kid?

The only time I remember getting Pizza was when I had the Book it certificate from reading for a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. We lived 25 miles from the closest town and didn’t have much money. So, we rarely ate out anyways.

Oh yeah. What I remember was that a couple of the local places had coupon specials (often a pizza with a pitcher of soda) that were in local coupon circulars that were mailed. It made it pretty cheap. And one place had an extra-large rectangular pizza, and that was the one we usually got for some reason.

Until high school, my school districted participated in the Book It! program. If you read a certain number of books in the month, you'd get a coupon for a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. I would get the coupon every month, but we would only go if my mom was in the mood for Pizza Hut. She preferred Dominos and it was torture for her to take us to Pizza Hut.
We order pizza and pick it up fairly often, at least every other week. It's our typical Friday night meal.

Oh, no we were on very limited income. Going out was very rare. I don't even think I knew there were pizza places. My dad always cooked everyday.

Sometimes, but usually we went out for spaghetti. Akron had some great spaghetti places with the best garlic bread, too.

I remember occasionally we would get pizza from Domino's to bring home for dinner which I loved. Pizza Hut buffets occasionally for birthday/special meals out.

We would go over to South Philadelphia and go to 1 or 2 pizza places every so often. We also would get pizzas from a restaurant near my Grandparents' home a few times a year.
Sometime when we were visiting my Dad's grandparents in Western Pennsylvania pizza was picked up from a place up the street .That place bought my Great Grandparents home after they died and relocated their operations. Talk about a weird experience when we went back to visit family still in town.

Grew up in the 80s)90s We rarely ate out when I was little but we had Showbiz Pizza for birthday parties. And there was a place in Chicago my grandparents took us to a couple of times called Pipes and Pizza. My grandpa played the organ and loved that place. Once I was in high school in the 90s we did order pizza it seemed like weekly on Friday nights.

80's kid, PacNW. My Mom would usually have to work Friday nights (retail), so my Dad would order Dominos for the 2 of us. We, as a family, used to occasionally eat out at Shakey's Pizza and later Round Table. Shakey's had the window you could watch them make the pizzas, so I remember standing there watching.

Grew up in the mid/late 70's (I'm 50 now), in New Jersey.

We wouldn't go out much, but we would have pizza about once or twice a month. One pie, 4 people. A lot of times we'd get Sicilian style, which had a super thick crust -- would feed us for a couple of days.

My dad would go to Elliott Beverages and have the glass soda liters refilled - he'd keep a 12-pack in the basement. It was always exciting to go down and pick out a flavor for pizza night.

Those were also the days before fast food meal combos. So we'd order burgers and fries, and then bring them home and have the soda from Elliott.

Not very often. I remember when school was out we would go to Pizza Hut as a treat. We went to Stawhat for parties or celebrations a couple of times. Most fast food was reserved for special weekends at Grandma's or vacation. My kids eat out way more than I ever did growing up.

I was a kid in the 80's/90's and we had pizza a lot. There was a Mr. Gatti's with a pizza buffet that we ate at quite a bit when I was in elementary school. Once I got into Middle and High school we generally just ordered pizza and ate it at home from Papa Johns.

We wouldn't go out much, but we would have pizza about once or twice a month. One pie, 4 people. A lot of times we'd get Sicilian style, which had a super thick crust -- would feed us for a couple of days.

My dad would go to Elliott Beverages and have the glass soda liters refilled - he'd keep a 12-pack in the basement. It was always exciting to go down and pick out a flavor for pizza night.

Those were also the days before fast food meal combos. So we'd order burgers and fries, and then bring them home and have the soda from Elliott.

We owned a motel so we had our own pop machine. When we had takeout and for Saturday & Sunday supper, we got to take the key and each get our own bottle. I always got Sprite or Dad's root beer, my weird brother would get Tab (gross), and everyone else got Coke :)
b3ec8625d33dcc1fcaff5dc77ac6272b.jpg

When my sons were very young we had a pizza place that was like sort of similar to Chuckie Cheese. But you could watch them make the pizza and then sit down in this big area and there was an animontronic band of animals that played and entertained (sort of like Country Bears at WDW) and then on the other side there was another room of a huge number of video games. Anyone else remember a place like this? It was really good pizza--not like Chuckie Cheese at all with that. They had a nice salad bar. And the way it was set up, you could go in and sit down and eat without the kids even really noticing the video games. I mean sooner or later they would know they were there but they weren't surrounding you.

LOL. I haven't heard anyone call a pizza a "pie" in a long time.

Yes, in the 80s and early 90s when my brother was involved with soccer, the whole team and their families would have a Round Table pizza party about once a month after a game. Also our school gave out Round Table certificates for free personal size pizzas when you made the honor roll. My brother was also a part of the Jazz circuit and would play gigs at Round Table all the time. So yeah, grew up with a lot of pizza but it was always Round Table. My dad refused to eat at any other pizza chain anyway so I guess it worked out. I have very vague memories of being at Chuck E Cheese maybe twice when I was very young.

My mom grew up in rural North Dakota and didn't even know what pizza was until she came to California in the 70s.

My father's business had an old fashioned Pepsi vending machine like this. Refillable glass bottles. No choice of other flavors, just Pepsi. You had to insert the coins and push down on the lever. The bottle opener was attached to the machine.

It wasn't nice looking like this one. The guys who worked there put all kinds of graffiti on it.

vmc33_1.jpg

It was sometimes my job to refill the machine and collect the money. The interior was similar to this old Coke vending machine. It had this unusual but not unpleasant aroma when you opened the door to refill.

CokeVMC33insideafter.jpg

By the mid 1970's it was replaced by a model similar to this. Now you could get Diet Pepsi and other flavors, including Pepsi's version of 7-Up: Teem.

lf

LOL. I haven't heard anyone call a pizza a "pie" in a long time.

That’s what we call a pizza. Just ordered one for lunch today. “A large pie”

We always found pizza as a kid in the 70s but usually take out.

We always went out to eat at restaurants high end and casual as a kid. My mom was a foodie before it was in. Lol.

Very rare that we ate fast food like McDonald’s. Did that when I got older with friends

My parents would often take us to Chinese restaurants. Would even go into manhattan from Long Island just to eat. Now we usually eat Chinese as take out. Not sit down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter