Did you go out for pizza as a kid?

I didn't go out for pizza until I was a teenager and able to go with friends. I don't think my parents ever set foot in a pizza restaurant. We'd go out about once a week but usually to diner type places or maybe a family Chinese restaurant.

Growing up (80s and 90s) we probably had pizza once a month. Often it was a birthday treat, or occasionally after a soccer or baseball game. Sometimes it was a Friday payday treat. I do remember that it wasn't cheap. We ate at Straw Hat or Round Table, either dine in or take out, and a large pizza was $20-$25. I will say that it tasted much better than the pizza we have today. We don't have either of those chains locally so we go to Marcos. It's our typical Friday night meal.

A few times a year we would get a take-out pizza from a local Italian bakery. We only ate at a restaurant on vacations. I was maybe ten, 12 years old before I had McDonald's. Grew up in the 70's, 80's.

I think the only time we went out for pizza was a couple times we went to one of those places like Chuck E. Cheese. We rarely went out to eat at all. I don’t know if it was a money issue or not. We ate a lot of t.v. dinners, but never frozen pizza.

We didn't often eat out in those days. And cokes were only in the house for Christmas and Thanksgiving.

60s and 70s kid. We rarely went out for pizza. We usually had it when we were traveling. My parents made their own on Sunday night which we'd eat while watching Wild Kingdom, Lassie and WD's Wonderful World of Color and of Disney. In high school is when my friends and I would go to Pizza Hut (this was in South Carolina) after Friday night football or basketball games.

When I was in elementary school in the 60s, every Friday night we'd pass right by a Shakey's pizza on our way to get 19 cent hamburgers, but never ate there once. In the mid 70s, getting pizza after every high school football/basketball game was *the* thing to do.

eta: It seems L&Lfan and I were doing the same thing at the same time on opposite coasts.

70s/80s kid here. At our "old house" (we moved in 1980 when I was in 3rd grade), there was a local pizza place that we would order from. It was an occasional treat -- definitely not weekly, and probably not monthly, but it also wasn't "birthdays only" or anything like that. Like you said, the restaurant was very bar-like so we never ate there, but we'd get take out. I liked to go with my dad to pick it up because you could see into the kitchen and they had the pizzas in a big rotary oven.

After we moved (to a rural area) there was no place close to get pizza, so if we had it at all, we'd make it at home. But homemade pizza wasn't anybody's favorite, so we didn't have it often. My dad occasionally had to travel for work. When he was gone, mom would sometimes take us into town to go to Pizza Hut. Apparently we hurt dad's feelings because we'd get a little *too* excited to find out he would be leaving town. Oops! ;-)

Last edited:
When I was a kid our local library had Summer reading challenges. The reward for finishing was usually a coupon for a personal pizza from Pizza Hut, so after finishing the challenge we would go out and use our coupons. Those are the only times I remember going out for pizza as a family. I remember having pizza fairly regularly at one of my friends' house, but now that I think about it it might have always been for some kind of special occasion (there were always a few extra people over). When I was a bit older we used to get frozen pizzas from time to time until we found out my dad has celiac.

When I was very young, my Mom used the Chef Boy-ar-Dee pizza kit and would add a small slice of velveeta and a green olive cut in half on each piece. We thought it was awesome at the time. We had a lot of mouths to feed and money was a little tight. By the time I was a teenager, we'd go out after Friday football games for pizza at local mom-and-pop pizzeria.

No - never. In those days there was only 1 pizza restaurant in the small city near the farm community where I was raised, and it was waaaay too exotic for my family! I was probably 10 or so before I even tasted pizza and then it would have been a frozen one, when our local general store started stocking them! :p

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY.
We didn't "go out" for pizza. We walked to the pizza shop(after school, while playing outside with friends...) and ordered a slice. When I was in elementary school, a slice was 50 cents and a can of soda was 50. By the time I graduated from high school (1986) a slice was $1.00.

Now a slice is about $2.50

Hey I grew up in Brooklyn too. The pizza place was right down the block. I went there A LOT with my friends. For sure we went for lunch on Saturdays. For $1 I got a slice, fountain drink and two songs on the jukebox! That pizza place is still there and when I'm at my mom's house we still order pizza from there.

In my neighborhood there was a pizza place every few blocks.

60s and 70s kid. We rarely went out for pizza. We usually had it when we were traveling. My parents made their own on Sunday night which we'd eat while watching Wild Kingdom, Lassie and WD's Wonderful World of Color and of Disney. In high school is when my friends and I would go to Pizza Hut (this was in South Carolina) after Friday night football or basketball games.

There was a Circus show on TV every Friday night. My mom insisted on watching it, and had to make popcorn every Friday to eat while we watched it.

We had pizza delivery every Saturday as a kid. That was my folks date night and the sitter always ordered pizzas for my brother and my cousins (my family put all the kids in one house for Saturday nights). We also often went out for pizza after games, band, mock trials, or an afternoon at the pool - with parents and a bunch of kids in a big group.

I guess we were a weird family because people in our town had pizza all the time because I worked at one of the 3 pizza places we had in town. It was a small town with around 1000 people in it. I started working there in 1974, and we had been eating pizza out for years before that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter