Did you go out for pizza as a kid?

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Kind of a Spin off from the Do You Remember Things Differently thread.
I grew up in the 1960's and early 1970's.
Looking at the local Things I Remember Growing up Facebook page, seems like everybody but me was eating pizza out all the time.
Money was tight. So much so that President Nixon froze wages and prices in 1970.
There were pizza places here, but they were just too expensive for us.
Mom would buy a frozen pizza and add extra cheese and meat, or a Chef Boyardee kit, but we never had pizza out.
Mostly because of the cost of Pizza out, but also because most of the pizza place appeared to be more like bars or night clubs than restaurants.
I can't speak to the $8 large pizza Domino's is advertising to death right now, but most large pizzas around here are about $25, so still not a cheap meal.

I can't remember ever going to a sit down pizza place as a kid. We'd get take out once or twice a year. Or a slice at a Jersey Shore boardwalk stand.

Sometimes Chef Boyardee or Appian Way kits. Or frozen Ellio's (rectangular slices) or Tree Tavern.

I don't think chains like Pizza Hut or Domino's existed when I was young.

Only time we got pizza was on birthdays, then it was from Pizza Hut pizza.
Same. My mother used to say it was expensive, so it was always a birthday treat. Also because it was always packed and a meal there took forever. Funny because I won't even touch Pizza Hut pizza now!

Never. I grew up in 50s and 60s. On dads payday we might go to McDonald’s. Or on Friday night maybe the local tavern for fish fry. Steak and shake was also a big night out. And on the occasional Sunday for a special occasion we would go to the local all you can eat buffet. I can’t even remember the first time I had pizza.

Eating out anywhere was a rare occurrence when I was growing up in the 80s. My parents were very frugal so we ate at home 99% of the time. That said, we live in a fairly small town and at that time only had a few locally owned restaurants, no chains, so that may have played a role as well?

friday was pizza day!!....either papa ginos or frozen pizza

We would occasionally pick up a pizza, usually from Pizza Hut. It wasn't often, but not uncommon enough to seem particularly special either.

We only had pizza or fastfood on special occasions. That was mostly going out. Very rarely did we have it delivered to our house until we were about high school age (early 90's)

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY.
We didn't "go out" for pizza. We walked to the pizza shop(after school, while playing outside with friends...) and ordered a slice. When I was in elementary school, a slice was 50 cents and a can of soda was 50. By the time I graduated from high school (1986) a slice was $1.00.

Now a slice is about $2.50

I don't recall ever going out for pizza when I was a kid (in the late 50's/early 60's.) Single parent home, not a lot of money. I can recall going to a fast food burger place once in a great while, or A & W (burgers and chili dogs were a dime if I remember correctly). The only time we went to a 'real restaurant' was on Mothers Day or a very special occasion, which were few and far between. We had to live very frugally back then!

I grew up in the 70s and 80s. I don't have a lot of memories of going out for pizza in the 70s, but I do have some fond memories of frequenting a few places in the 80s. For a couple of months, I even worked at one of the pizza places.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY.
We didn't "go out" for pizza. We walked to the pizza shop(after school, while playing outside with friends...) and ordered a slice. When I was in elementary school, a slice was 50 cents and a can of soda was 50. By the time I graduated from high school (1986) a slice was $1.00.

Now a slice is about $2.50
I went out for pizza most fridays at lunch in 5th and 6th grade. Our HS is open lunch, there were several pizzerias to choose from, but I was a smoker, no slice and soda for me, cigarettes and a snickers bar.

I was born in the late 50s and we had a large family so we rarely went out to eat period. When we lived in Ohio for awhile, every once in a long while, Daddy would stop and get a pizza on the way home from work but otherwise, Mama would make homemade pizza. In the mid 70s after all my brother's had moved away from home and we lived in NM we would go get pizza about every 2 or 3 weeks. By then Mama worked as a manager of a restaurant so if we ate out it was there.

We got the rare take-out pizza growing up in the 60s but we did not eat food not cooked at home too often

Dad took me out for pizza almost every Sat. after bowling. 60's
It took a long time to get one, the ovens weren't as fast as today.....probably at least 45 minutes.

Grew up in the 70's. We ate out so seldom (not just we as in my family, but everyone that I knew) that a local pizza place was THE place to go for prom night. I miss that place it was really good. But back then we had two options for pizza Pizza Hut and that place.

In fact, eating out at all was a treat. My grandparents opened a catfish restaurant when I was in jr. high so the vast majority of our take out or eating out was from there. Previous to that it was from the fast food/drive in place that was started by my grandparents and ran by different parts of the family over the years. But, the food was soooo much better than it is at most places today.

When my kids were little, Friday night was take out night. So usually either pizza or fried chicken. Sometimes hamburgers but not often.
Now it seems like its every other night and like there is no way around it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!