• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Did we pick the wrong week? Oct 13th - Columbus Day week??

hopetoseedisney

Earning My Ears
We have went through a long process trying to pick a week, and dh called today to tell me that he got the week of Oct 13th off for his vacation time (don't know if he can change it - so we may be stuck). I've read different opinions of the month of October, and now I am panicking because I read on wdwig.com under historic attendance, that the week of Columbus Day was packed!!! UGH! We were trying to pick a time when crowds were light......because it's our first time, and we want to really enjoy everything, but don't want to have to deal with over crowding problems. Did we pick the wrong week? I don't want to have to change plans again....but I will if the park will be too packed for our tastes. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry too much. Columbus day wknd itself Sat - Sun - Mon. will probably be pretty busy because many have that 3 day wknd off but the rest of the week may not be quite as crowded as those first 3 days. Oct. is generally a medium crowds kind of time (although popular dvc time). Enjoy!;)

My DD and I are doing a Moma and Me trip Oct 13-18! I'm just hoping for some nice weather!!

I was a little concerned about possible crowds too, but hey - we'll be at Disney!!! This will be our first MNSSHP and we can't wait!!!! We've done the Merry Christmas Party three times and we love it!!

Enjoy your stay!!

I'm also going Oct 11-18th with 3 kids, DH, and my parents. I booked the flights and hotel and then started reading about the crowds and I paniced! But I decided to just go and enjoy. I'm hoping that only Sunday and Monday are the busy days while we are there.

hopetoseedisney and Dizzie...WELCOME TO THE DIS!!! :)

I wouldn't worry at all.I think I've been in WDW every week of the month of Oct over various trips and IMO it is THE BEST time of year to go! :) The past 2 years CD week has been the week we visited because my sons have a couple days off that week for teacher in house something or other! The weather is absolutely GORGEOUS in Oct.!! Food and Wine Fest is wonderful and MNSSHP a "must see"! I've always found the crowd very manageable if there has been one at all. Even if it is a bit crowded all the pluses out weigh the minuses for visiting at this time of year. :)

Glad you posted this question because my family and I will be flying in on Columbus Day for 9 days. After making all the arrangements, I got a little worried, but I think that no matter what time you pick, there is always something that makes you wonder if you picked the wrong time to go. Oh well, right now I am worried that I won't survive the wait until we go. Have a great time!!!!

Deb

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! We are planning Oct 14th for our first time at the party!

We have been to WDW over Columbus Day twice - - 1997 and 2001. Both times the crowds were very manageable, even light. We never waited more than 15-20 minutes for anything.

Do your homework - learn about FastPass, EE, E-night. these are all ways to "work" the crowds.

We absolutely love going in October!

We went during that week last year. The lines were not long and the crowds were managable. Now the MNSSHP on the other hand was PACKED!! We went twice during that week and couldn't believe the amount of people there. The lines were ridiciulously long and you could barely move. It was fun though :)

What is the consensus on attending the MMNSHP?
My girls are 8 and 10 and are excited about going to it....but is it mostly for younger kids, or would my girls have a blast too?

Originally posted by wendyandpeter
What is the consensus on attending the MMNSHP?
My girls are 8 and 10 and are excited about going to it....but is it mostly for younger kids, or would my girls have a blast too?

I think your girls would have fun. Heck, I had fun and I'm 26 LOL. There are a lot of trick or treating stations for them to go to, a dance party in tomorrowland and a cute parade to watch. Not to mention all the rides are open.

I've gone that week in the past and we will also be there that week this year.

Crowded is relative. Crowds were lighter that week in October we went than over President's week in Feburary. And President's week was lighter than early June. And I've never considered going when its really busy (mid-summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter).

If you are looking for very light crowds, consider switching to September or mid-January. But there are trades....its still pretty hot in September and mid-January can be quite cold. And they often cut back hours and parade schedules, revamp the popular rides, etc, in the low attendence periods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter