Did I Have An Off-Experience At Coral Reef?!?!

AMusicLifeForMe

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I am not one to post negative reviews on Disboards or a person that likes to post negative comments. I just can't get this out of my mind though.

I went to Coral Reef this evening. I had only eaten there once before and had a decent experience but nothing outstanding that I could remember. I think I will remember this meal for a long time and Coral Reef has deserved the award for the only restaurant I will now stay away from on Walt Disney World property.

I would order the lobster bisque which ended up being ok, but didn't look or taste like a bisque at all. I still thought it was fine and tasty. That's not what I'm necessarily complaining about.

For my entree, I would order the mahi mahi. Now, this was a fish entree at a fish restaurant. You would hope that they would know how to cook fish. I would receive the dish and had a few bites of the mahi mahi, and I could just tell there was something wrong. I have had mahi mahi plenty of times throughout the years. I looked over to my friends that are from a very dominant "fish location" and had them try it. They were able to put my thoughts into words that it was overcooked and dry. The waiter would come by and ask how everything was and I explained that this wasn't good. The waiter would be willing to take it back and get a new one for me.

Well, the second one came out and it was the exact same way. Overcooked and dry. I would explain to the waiter that it was the same way, but I would muscle through it. I just don't like getting into confrontation or being "that person" that anyone can't please. I'm not that way at all. I'm very easy going and only complain if it is something that I can't handle. I would get through half of this mahi mahi and eat the jasmine rice that came with it before saying I had enough of this dish.

I never saw the manager but my waiter explained that the manager was willing to give me free dessert. I'm not a dessert person so I respectively declined. Later, I find out that the manager decided to give me the tables and wonderland discount instead of the AP discount. So, only an extra 10% off the meal. Anyways, the bill still came out to about $42 for the soup, mahi mahi, and an 18% gratuity due to being in a large group.

Personally, I don't think this meal was worth the price of what I spent. If I was to go to a fish restaurant, I would choose Flying Fish and many other Disney restaurants now before Coral Reef. I can't see myself going back here.

I am just wanting to know if anyone has had a similar experience with this restaurant lately. It has been several years since I had been. Just something seemed off about the entire experience this evening.

If you’re still in town tomorrow and can go back, I would talk to the manager. S/he needs to know why the food was bad. And why you ended up eating a decent amount of it despite saying you didn’t like it. Otherwise they don’t know what to fix, and might just assume you maybe did like it but didn’t have a big appetite.

I agree- you need to let them know why you were unhappy. I believe Coral Reef can be hit-or-miss, like a few other restaurants. It is one of the places my husband and I will not return to- he had a steak there a couple years ago that did not sit well with him and he was nauseous all evening as a result. We have not returned since. we have a couple other restaurants we avoid, but those were primarily due to the service. Coral Reef was most definitely the food for us!

If you’re still in town tomorrow and can go back, I would talk to the manager. S/he needs to know why the food was bad. And why you ended up eating a decent amount of it despite saying you didn’t like it. Otherwise they don’t know what to fix, and might just assume you maybe did like it but didn’t have a big appetite.
I agree- you need to let them know why you were unhappy. I believe Coral Reef can be hit-or-miss, like a few other restaurants. It is one of the places my husband and I will not return to- he had a steak there a couple years ago that did not sit well with him and he was nauseous all evening as a result. We have not returned since. we have a couple other restaurants we avoid, but those were primarily due to the service. Coral Reef was most definitely the food for us!
Thanks. I might go back to talk to a manager. Just not sure if it is worth it for me now that I know I won't be going back there. It was just an odd meal.

The restaurant tried to make it right for you, but they failed. I would just let it go and cross it off my list. I wouldn’t make a special trip back to the restaurant on my vacation to talk to the manager. If you feel strongly about your off experience, send them an email.

By the way, How were your friend’s entrees?

Our December visit to CR was not good. The service was pretty sad and the meal was okay. Not good, not bad, just meh. We are not going back.

With regards to your circumstance, the gratuity woudl be 18% for any table 6 or over, so you woudl have paid that anyway, no matter the discount.

I think that there is a difference between not liking something, like your bisque, and haveing badly cooked protein, like your fish. My concern would be the fish. Is $42 savings worth the fish? If not then I would take the time to go back and discuss the situation with the manager. For me, I woudl have been satisfied with teh offer of dessert and the discount for the table. It was more than removing the cost of your meal.

ETA: My main issue was the service from a snippy waiter. He ignored that soe of the sides were wrong, pretended there was no salt until I asked for the third time, and made some sarcastic remarks. There were 8 of us going to the candlelight processional, so this was an expensive meal. By the time I got back tot he villa and heard more of the remarks made to my family I was pretty mad. I did go down to the concierge to discuss the situation and she removed the tip, which was pretty substantial. I did not want compensation for the food, we ate and we did get to enjoy the processional.

Last edited:
I never saw the manager but my waiter explained that the manager was willing to give me free dessert. I'm not a dessert person so I respectively declined. Later, I find out that the manager decided to give me the tables and wonderland discount instead of the AP discount. So, only an extra 10% off the meal. Anyways, the bill still came out to about $42 for the soup, mahi mahi, and an 18% gratuity due to being in a large group.

The Tables in Wonderland should have given you 20% off.

We went in 2015. The calamari was good. Caesar salad was edible. The kids salmon was good. I got the mahi mahi...it tasted like the fish Lean Cuisine I eat sometimes for lunch. It was edible (for me, since I eat fish Lean Cuisine), and I didn't complain, but we won't go back.

I'm sorry, I don't think it was a one off. I think that they use fish that has been previously frozen and then cooked to death.

Welp, thanks for the reviews... was thinking in booking Coral Reef for July trip, but I don’t want to waste a TS credit unless I am fairly sure the meal will be enjoyable. I had read some pretty discouraging reviews before this but these were the final nail in the decision coffin.

We went February and none of us really enjoyed it. We did 14 table service restaurants on our trip and it was the only bad one.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have heard this place can be hit or miss. My last meal there was fantastic all our food was great and service was great. I think most Disney restaurants can be like this. Maybe if you ever go back try a different dish, the shrimp and grits were great. It does sound like they tried to make it right for you giving you an additional discount off. I would have probably requested having the fish just removed from the bill entirely.

Well we usually eat there once a trip. We have always had a good meal there but I should add this I am from Kansas City and while I am a barbeque snob a friend from New York has told me I would not know good seafood if it walked up and smacked me in the face. As others have said talk to the manager. Waiter/waitresses will do their best most times to not get a manager involved.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
Off-topic, but do you mind if I ask why you're sorry? People apologize far too often for things they have nothing to do with, or no control over. So I'm curious why?
I would have probably requested having the fish just removed from the bill entirely.
Poster chise to muscle through instead of sending the meal back a second time. They ate, so they pay.

Off-topic, but do you mind if I ask why you're sorry? People apologize far too often for things they have nothing to do with, or no control over. So I'm curious why?
IDK, the polite thing to say when someone has a bad experience? I know what it's like having a bad meal, it's never fun so I am sorry they had to go through that.

Poster chise to muscle through instead of sending the meal back a second time. They ate, so they pay.
That's true they did eat it. I've had restaurants take a meal off when it's really bad and I've eaten half, but not all of it. Never hurts to ask. Disney usually tries to make the guest happy when they leave, some places do a better job at it.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the experience I have had at Coral Reef. Bad, beyond bad service and food. Add in wait times that were beyond unreasonable and no manager in site. I, like the OP, will never be back to Coral reef. They seem to be highly inconsistent in their reviews, so they may actually have 'good days', but there are too many other reliable restaurants for me to take the chance again on this one.

The restaurant tried to make it right for you, but they failed. I would just let it go and cross it off my list. I wouldn’t make a special trip back to the restaurant on my vacation to talk to the manager. If you feel strongly about your off experience, send them an email.

By the way, How were your friend’s entrees?
I probably won't go back to talk to the manager. The restaurant always fills up so my critique probably won't mean much to them.

There were 7 of us. 5 of them got the steak and 1 got the shrimp and grits. The person that got the shrimp and grits was the only person that completed their meal. I was considering getting that and probably should have.

Our December visit to CR was not good. The service was pretty sad and the meal was okay. Not good, not bad, just meh. We are not going back.

With regards to your circumstance, the gratuity woudl be 18% for any table 6 or over, so you woudl have paid that anyway, no matter the discount.

I think that there is a difference between not liking something, like your bisque, and haveing badly cooked protein, like your fish. My concern would be the fish. Is $42 savings worth the fish? If not then I would take the time to go back and discuss the situation with the manager. For me, I woudl have been satisfied with teh offer of dessert and the discount for the table. It was more than removing the cost of your meal.

ETA: My main issue was the service from a snippy waiter. He ignored that soe of the sides were wrong, pretended there was no salt until I asked for the third time, and made some sarcastic remarks. There were 8 of us going to the candlelight processional, so this was an expensive meal. By the time I got back tot he villa and heard more of the remarks made to my family I was pretty mad. I did go down to the concierge to discuss the situation and she removed the tip, which was pretty substantial. I did not want compensation for the food, we ate and we did get to enjoy the processional.
I'm aware the 18% gratuity would have been added since there was 7 of us. I just found it funny when I got the change, the waiter gave me 1 $5 and $13 one dollar bills with probably hopes that I wouldn't see that the tip had already been added. Good thing I noticed since I'm not used to eating with a large group at Disney.

I completely agree. The protein being wrong twice in the row is definitely not on me. I just don't like dessert as much as most people do and explained that to the waiter.

The Tables in Wonderland should have given you 20% off.
It did. I was explaining that I got an additional 10% off which came close to the price of the soup. Maybe 1.5 dollars less.

We went in 2015. The calamari was good. Caesar salad was edible. The kids salmon was good. I got the mahi mahi...it tasted like the fish Lean Cuisine I eat sometimes for lunch. It was edible (for me, since I eat fish Lean Cuisine), and I didn't complain, but we won't go back.

I'm sorry, I don't think it was a one off. I think that they use fish that has been previously frozen and then cooked to death.
I never thought about the fish being a frozen fish dinner lol.

Welp, thanks for the reviews... was thinking in booking Coral Reef for July trip, but I don’t want to waste a TS credit unless I am fairly sure the meal will be enjoyable. I had read some pretty discouraging reviews before this but these were the final nail in the decision coffin.
Please be sure in knowing that I am one of many people that have eaten at this restaurant. Always take food reviews as a grain of salt since you can have a completely different experience.

We went February and none of us really enjoyed it. We did 14 table service restaurants on our trip and it was the only bad one.
That is quite the ratio in terms of where this restaurant fell on your list.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I have heard this place can be hit or miss. My last meal there was fantastic all our food was great and service was great. I think most Disney restaurants can be like this. Maybe if you ever go back try a different dish, the shrimp and grits were great. It does sound like they tried to make it right for you giving you an additional discount off. I would have probably requested having the fish just removed from the bill entirely.
I'm glad that you had a great experience. I had a friend order the shrimp and grits and he is the only one that finished his meal...I could have asked for that, but I did eat the meal. So, I should have paid the amount for it. It just wasn't worth $30 for that fish entree.

Well we usually eat there once a trip. We have always had a good meal there but I should add this I am from Kansas City and while I am a barbeque snob a friend from New York has told me I would not know good seafood if it walked up and smacked me in the face. As others have said talk to the manager. Waiter/waitresses will do their best most times to not get a manager involved.
As someone who moved from Kansas City to Orlando last week, thank you for making me crave Kansas City barbecue on this Monday morning. I guess I'll have to drive 18 hours to go get some. :D The waiter was doing a fine job to try and make the experience happy. I was just trying to not inconvenience more. The fish was edible, but it was definitely one of the worst pieces of fish I have had in recent memory.

I would just like the clarify that I did pay for the fish since I ate it. That doesn't take away from the fact that it definitely wasn't worth $30. Maybe be a little nicer on the internet next time.

IDK, the polite thing to say when someone has a bad experience? I know what it's like having a bad meal, it's never fun so I am sorry they had to go through that.

That's true they did eat it. I've had restaurants take a meal off when it's really bad and I've eaten half, but not all of it. Never hurts to ask. Disney usually tries to make the guest happy when they leave, some places do a better job at it.
Thank you for being sorry. :) Bad meals are never fun especially when you are at one of your favorite places. I was totally expecting to pay for my meal which I did. I was just surprised in general with the discount since I basically only saved $4 extra which really wasn't a lot when it was the entree that was the issue.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the experience I have had at Coral Reef. Bad, beyond bad service and food. Add in wait times that were beyond unreasonable and no manager in site. I, like the OP, will never be back to Coral reef. They seem to be highly inconsistent in their reviews, so they may actually have 'good days', but there are too many other reliable restaurants for me to take the chance again on this one.
Flying Fish is easily the best fish restaurant on property in my opinion but there are still a few others that I need to try. Coral Reef has fallen to the bottom of my list in terms of Walt Disney World property.

If anyone wants a great mahi mahi, go to Sebastian's Bistro at Caribbean Beach! Awesome dish! They might not have it in season though.

We, too, have had really mediocre meals at CR which is why we haven't been back in a few years. It just doesn't even cross my mind to eat there anymore as it's not worth our time or money. IMHO, there is far better QS in EP than what is offered at CR, so I would rather save my money and eat in places in EP that we've found to be consistently good. With all the restaurants in EP, we've found we've narrowed our spots down to about 4 QS and 2 TS. If we want even better food, we head out to the EP resort area.

OP, I don't think this is a one-off and I, too, would be disappointed in spending $40+ on a meal like that. I, personally, wouldn't waste more of my vacation time in going back to the restaurant to speak to a manager. The restaurant did try to rectify the situation even though it wasn't to your full satisfaction. I would enjoy the rest of your vacation and, if it's still bothering you, perhaps send an e-mail to guest services when you get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter