Diabetes Insulin at the WDW Park Gates?

mtm65

Earning My Ears
Our youngest grandson has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and needs to carry his insulin and supplies with him at all times. Is there anything we need to do before getting to the parks to alleviate any problems or delays with bringing his insulin supplies into the parks? Is there a specific park gate to use? Any doctor's notes needed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

My dad has traveled there with his meter, insulin pen, etc... all in a small pack that he can carry in his pocket. If I remember correctly he just always went through the no bag line and put his pack and phone on the table and walk through the metal detector and picked them up on the other side. I don't know how they handle it at bag search, but I do know they will be used to searching those that require their supplies with them. If you go through bag search just have everything unzipped and ready for them to look at, no particular park gate to use.

I'm sure you'll get someone with firsthand experience to answer this as well, hope you have a great trip!

Same as the poster above, my dad carries his insulin with him into the park with no issues. He doesn't carry a doctor's note or go in a special line or anything. If it's in a bag, it will be searched anyways and if he carries it in his pocket, he will have to take it out of his pocket to go through the metal detector. No big deal!

Nope - my husband is a type 1 diabetic and we had no issues going through the bag check/lines with his supplies in my bag.

Keep in mind the insulin and test strips break down when above 86 degrees. We use Frio packs for my DD. It has a gel bag inside that you hydrate. It is reusable. We keep them hydrated the whole trip.

Our youngest grandson has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and needs to carry his insulin and supplies with him at all times. Is there anything we need to do before getting to the parks to alleviate any problems or delays with bringing his insulin supplies into the parks? Is there a specific park gate to use? Any doctor's notes needed?

No you need to do nothing at all. I would get a frio bag to put the insulin in. No dr note needed theynwill not look at it. And bring extra of everything you think you might need

My son was dx'd at 26 months and is almost an adult now - we've been going to WDW many times all those years and never have been bothered once with all of his supplies. He pumps but I still usually bring backup supplies of insulin, syringes and a set change into the parks so we don't have to go back to the room if there's a problem...plus the meter and syringes. A DAS may also be helpful - especially depending on the age of the child, how hot it is, and other challenges etc. You can PM me if you have questions about this.

I'm sorry your grandson was dx'd with type 1. My son started pumping when he was 2 years old and we got him on a continuous glucose monitor as soon as they were available. Currently he uses the Dexcom - no finger sticks!! It also alerts if they go high or low and numbers and alerts can go to cell phones to notify parents and caregivers. I recommend it without reservation. Frio pouch is also good although I only use it if it's really really hot out - not sure when your trip is. It's not expensive and good to have.

Also check out Children With Diabetes (.com) - they run a conference every summer at Disney World for children and adults with type 1 and their families....it's in July this year at Coronado Springs. There is even an entire grandparents track! It's an amazing conference: https://childrenwithdiabetes.com/conferences/friends-for-life-orlando-2019/

Someone had posted about going thru the no bag line....
Plan that you will need to go thru the bag check line. Our last few trips, the security CMs have been directing people with anything more than just a phone to the bag check line. One was saying, “a bag is a bag, no matter how small.”

During bag check, expect to open anything they can’t see thru. We don’t have diabetes supplies, but do have medical supplies that we have in our daughter’s backpack in quart or gallon zip lock bags - very easy to check.
They are looking for things that could be used for a weapon and prohibited items, like alcohol. Even though it’s new to you, they probably see several thousand people a day with insulin and diabetic supplies. The checks are actually very efficient- the situations that take longer are usually people who have not prepared by unzipping their bags and people whose bags are so full that the bag can’t be checked without removing items.

adult daughter never had a problem. one thing she did was carry her supplies bag is her backpack. she would have them out of backpack before we got to table and replaced as we were leaving. she was never even questioned about why

Someone had posted about going thru the no bag line....
Plan that you will need to go thru the bag check line. Our last few trips, the security CMs have been directing people with anything more than just a phone to the bag check line. One was saying, “a bag is a bag, no matter how small.”

The only problem I can see with this is where do you draw the line at if it is a bag or a wallet?

At the end of January, my wife got told multiple times to go to the no bag line, despite the fact she had a very small camera bag, I mean it is the size of a wallet because her camera is very small, but I tend to be the one that tried to follow the rules and said it was a bag as well, security said it wasn't, so we go with what they say, but my point is I would be ready for either scenario to play out.

They are also looking for selfie sticks and glass bottles and such.

The only problem I can see with this is where do you draw the line at if it is a bag or a wallet?

At the end of January, my wife got told multiple times to go to the no bag line, despite the fact she had a very small camera bag, I mean it is the size of a wallet because her camera is very small, but I tend to be the one that tried to follow the rules and said it was a bag as well, security said it wasn't, so we go with what they say, but my point is I would be ready for either scenario to play out.

They are also looking for selfie sticks and glass bottles and such.
My point was to prepare people that they may or may not be going thru the no bag line with diabetic supplies.
The tiniest FRIO bag is about 3.5 inches x 7 inches and might not get checked. The largest ones might be the size of a small purse and probably would.
With any small bag, it’s best to assume it will be checked rather than get into the no bag line and get sent back to bag check. If in doubt, there is usually a Security CM directing people that can be asked.

I didn’t list all the prohibited items that Security is searching for. There is a complete list here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

I really dislike opening my diabetes kit in really hot weather as heat degrades the insulin. Drip bags are great but some still make you take the insulin out. Am using vials of insulin not pens so I must keep the regular with me.

When we take our son, they usually just ask if his bags are medical supplies and just usher us through. We have never needed any doctor notes and have had wonderful experience dealing with all cast members.

Never an issue. DS just goes through regular bag check and nothing has ever been said at all. Make sure you read some of the other threads on here. There is some useful information and personal stories about how touring WDW affected blood sugars (my DS needs only 1/2 his regular insulin) and information about carb counting etc while in the parks. Good luck, I’m sure you will have a great time. I was so worried our first trip after diagnosis but other than a couple lows ( that’s when we found he didn’t need as much insulin at WDW) it was cake!!

Be careful with the FRIO bag in hot weather. I used it at Disney in mid-July and the pack didn't stay cold in the 1,000 degree summer weather. I generally carry my insulin in a Stanley thermos. I just fill it 3/4 of the way with ice and put my insulin in it. Most of the ice lasts for 12 hours, some to 24 hours. It stays cold for up to 24 hours. Ice can be found at nearly all of Disney eateries, so you can refill the ice with ease if necessary. Most onsite hotels have ice machines or ice available at the food courts. Offsite, I get ice from the hotel or from a convenience stores. Most convenience stores will not charge for ice.

When we take our son, they usually just ask if his bags are medical supplies and just usher us through. We have never needed any doctor notes and have had wonderful experience dealing with all cast members.
You don’t need a doctor’s note for medical supplies/items, but I would not count on being just ushered thru.
My daughter’s medical supplies are always checked. They do ask us if they are medical supplies and often ask if there is anything they need to be careful of touching or anything sharp.
We have things in ziplock bags inside of her bag, so they can easily see what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter