DHS strategy needed

DisneyMommy77

DIS Veteran
Hello,
I booked my FP+ today. I wasn’t able to get any of the new Toy Story rides, so I just got our usual: TSM, Tower of Terror and Star Tours.
So, I am guessing our best bet is to arrive at park opening and head straight to Toy Story Land. Should we do Slinky Dog or the Alien one first? We will be there at Christmas time so if we don’t have a strategy we may run into trouble.

What strategy have you found to work best?

Is there anything else in Toy Story Land we should check out? I am behind in my research.

Finally, once we enter the park which direction is Toy Story Land and which route is quickest to get there?
Thanks!

Hello,
I booked my FP+ today. I wasn’t able to get any of the new Toy Story rides, so I just got our usual: TSM, Tower of Terror and Star Tours.
So, I am guessing our best bet is to arrive at park opening and head straight to Toy Story Land. Should we do Slinky Dog or the Alien one first? We will be there at Christmas time so if we don’t have a strategy we may run into trouble.

What strategy have you found to work best?

Is there anything else in Toy Story Land we should check out? I am behind in my research.

Finally, once we enter the park which direction is Toy Story Land and which route is quickest to get there?
Thanks!

If you got TSM then it is not that bad. Sometimes ride times for TSM are similar to SDD. I would go for SDD on RD.

Steel yourself for the crowds and the mania! We were there Columbus Day weekend and were literally horrified at the crush of the crowds as they opened the park. We splurged and purchased tickets for the Early Morning Magic so we were in Toy Story Land when the gates opened (a little before 9:00) and could see the crowds rushing toward TSL from our last ride on SDD. It honestly looked like a tsunami! We then headed toward RNRC and literally walked on then headed out of the park ... it was crazy and not for the faint of heart.

We had a similar experience our first day at Magic Kingdom ... the rush for 7DMT was insane and we eventually stopped after being hit by a stroller the size of a Volkswagen! We later booked the Early Morning Magic Fantasyland ... a splurge ... but enjoyed three rides on 7DMT before the park opened for the hoards.

Wear your best running shoes and shin guards and good luck! :santa:

So, I am guessing our best bet is to arrive at park opening and head straight to Toy Story Land.

Do NOT get there at park opening. GET there about 45 min BEFORE park opening. That will put you in the front of the crowd and onto SDD in a shorter amount of time. It is also highly likely that they will open HS 30 min before posted opening, so you want to be there before they do so.

We just returned from WDW. DGD wanted to ride SDD for her birthday so we arrived at HS by 8am for a 9am opening. We were let into TSL about 10 minutes early. We made it into the queue with a posted 90 minute wait. The cast member also stated "You will have a 90 minute wait from this point." Having ridden in the summer we knew this to be inaccurate. We timed our wait at 26 minutes. This is from the beginning of the actual winding queue, not the line that forms across the bridge. We did not see anyone with Fast Pass entering so assumed they allow SB only for the first hour maybe. 3 Slinky's were running at the time. Hope this is helpful.

Do NOT get there at park opening. GET there about 45 min BEFORE park opening. That will put you in the front of the crowd and onto SDD in a shorter amount of time. It is also highly likely that they will open HS 30 min before posted opening, so you want to be there before they do so.
Agreed. We arrived at DHS about 7:30 am for EMH the Sunday of Columbus Day. They were starting to let people in about then and by the time we made it through security and back to SDD the wait was 60 min. That was at 7:45ish. So instead we rode the saucers twice with a 5 minute wait and TSM once with a short wait. By the time we finished those 3 rides and took some pictures it was 8:30 and the lines for the rides had gone up tremendously. Saucers and TSM were 60 min and SDD was 120 min! We headed out of TSL and did some other rides (star tours/TOT) but were shocked at the crowds that am. They even had to open the outdoor que area at star tours. We always do EMH at DHS and I have never seen it remotely that busy. It honestly reminded me of crowds I have seen at Easter time. Even the lines at the little popcorn/coffee/drink carts were much longer than usual. We managed to snag an ADR cancellation and ate at 50’s prime time cafe. We checked in shortly after 11 (maybe 11:10-11:15) and the number of people walking up trying to get in without an ADR was also substantial. The wait for a table without an ADR was 45-60 min and they had just opened for the day.

Steel yourself for the crowds and the mania! We were there Columbus Day weekend and were literally horrified at the crush of the crowds as they opened the park. We splurged and purchased tickets for the Early Morning Magic so we were in Toy Story Land when the gates opened (a little before 9:00) and could see the crowds rushing toward TSL from our last ride on SDD. It honestly looked like a tsunami! We then headed toward RNRC and literally walked on then headed out of the park ... it was crazy and not for the faint of heart.

We had a similar experience our first day at Magic Kingdom ... the rush for 7DMT was insane and we eventually stopped after being hit by a stroller the size of a Volkswagen! We later booked the Early Morning Magic Fantasyland ... a splurge ... but enjoyed three rides on 7DMT before the park opened for the hoards.

Wear your best running shoes and shin guards and good luck! :santa:

We are going Thanksgiving week, 15th -25th. We have reserved both EMM for MK-FL & HS-TSL. We have been on the fence due to the expense. The way you describe your experience makes me feel like the money is worth the sanity. Thanks for your report.

I'll be there a few days after you arrive so was wondering how many people you were making FPs for? I'm aiming to make my SDD FPs near the end of my trip to increase my odds and I'm only making it for two people.

I'll be there a few days after you arrive so was wondering how many people you were making FPs for? I'm aiming to make my SDD FPs near the end of my trip to increase my odds and I'm only making it for two people.

I made FP+ for 6 people. We are only staying onsite for a few days before moving to our off-site condo. We will be there until January 7th, so hopefully sometime during the trip we can ride the new rides!

Just came back from a weekend trip. RD'd on Saturday at DHS. We've been through the RD routine at all parks for over a decade and this was, by a wide margin, the single worst RD experience. It was BRUTAL. We were at the front of the rope drop, but as soon as CMs started leading the parade to TSL, it got ugly. Elbows flying, battering ram strollers, family separations, screaming kids, panic and confusion. I had a picture in my mind of townspeople fleeing for their lives as a giant mutant insect terrorizes a community in some low budget horror film. After what seemed like days of being on the run, we finally arrived at the SDD queue. By the time we exited at 9:10, the posted wait time was 95 min. and the line stretched nearly to the entrance of TSL. It was a great ride, but unless we can get FPs, we won't be going through that nonsense again. If you plan on RD, get to DHS at least 1 hr. before rope drop, wear well-secured shoes, (saw lost flip flops), and be prepared for abuse from your fellow travelers.

Just came back from a weekend trip. RD'd on Saturday at DHS. We've been through the RD routine at all parks for over a decade and this was, by a wide margin, the single worst RD experience. It was BRUTAL. We were at the front of the rope drop, but as soon as CMs started leading the parade to TSL, it got ugly. Elbows flying, battering ram strollers, family separations, screaming kids, panic and confusion. I had a picture in my mind of townspeople fleeing for their lives as a giant mutant insect terrorizes a community in some low budget horror film. After what seemed like days of being on the run, we finally arrived at the SDD queue. By the time we exited at 9:10, the posted wait time was 95 min. and the line stretched nearly to the entrance of TSL. It was a great ride, but unless we can get FPs, we won't be going through that nonsense again. If you plan on RD, get to DHS at least 1 hr. before rope drop, wear well-secured shoes, (saw lost flip flops), and be prepared for abuse from your fellow travelers.

Ugh! I'm a pretty competitive person, but I can't see throwing elbows to get on a ride at an amusement park.

This ugliness is why I'm super annoyed at Disney's last minute cancellation of AM EMH at DHS. I'm fairly certain the PM EMH they added won't give nearly the same advantage.

Hmm... I booked 8 people on SDD on day 4 of our Christmas trip this morning, surprised you couldn't get it 60 days out. We will be there on 12/25 and booked it for @noon. I think we'll RD or close to it and head to TSL for TSM and Saucers. The next day is also AM EMH so we could try for that if we don't make it on everything we want to ride in one day. We are only doing 1 day at HS, 2 or 3 days at the other parks.

Ugh, hate to hear that. I'd say people never cease to amaze me... but this seems par for the course, sadly. Took my 3 kids SOLO to the parks a couple weeks ago, got a spot for fireworks, and some DA adults crammed in right in front of my 3 kids, completely blocking their view of the castle. I just can't fathom being an adult that does this. But, we see it everywhere. At the aquarium? God forbid letting a small child stand in front of you to see, when it won't obstruct your view at all... people are so self-absorbed and obnoxious. I really hope this trend evolves into something better.

Hmm... I booked 8 people on SDD on day 4 of our Christmas trip this morning, surprised you couldn't get it 60 days out. We will be there on 12/25 and booked it for @noon. I think we'll RD or close to it and head to TSL for TSM and Saucers. The next day is also AM EMH so we could try for that if we don't make it on everything we want to ride in one day. We are only doing 1 day at HS, 2 or 3 days at the other parks.

Totally depends on who is online booking which day. You're looking at 60+4, while OP reports just a few days onsite followed by offsite. Few people are able to get SDD earlier than day 4-6, and OP will have 60-day rolling bookings for the latter part of her stay. Also, Christmas Day crowds are more likely to head to MK or Epcot than DHS, so you picked a good day to try for SDD. On other threads, some people get SDD as early as 60+ 3 (rare), and others have reported being unable to get it even at 60+6 (also rare). It's the same with other headliners; I personally was able to book 7DMT for days 2 and 3 of my trip, but I've seen people report being unable to book the same ride at all in a 5-day trip. In short, I've stopped being surprised by anyone's booking difficulties where the headliners are concerned. On the flip side, that's fantastic that you got a good time for 8 people on SDD for day 4 during a holiday! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter