DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. Not sure at this point. I think one of the main reasons for TSMM closing is because they shoot stuff off of the GMR building and other buildings in that area. I could be wrong though.
Yeah that makes sense, and obviously we'll have to wait and see. I hope not just because that'd be a downer for people trying to experience it, and also would bottleneck Star Wars with only one way in/out at night

Honest TSL question I just was thinking about: does midway mania still close early because of the Star Wars fireworks? If so does that mean that the whole land will have to follow suit? I think if so that'd be kinda frustrating for a park that needs the extra space/things to do desperately
Good question. Not sure at this point. I think one of the main reasons for TSMM closing is because they shoot stuff off of the GMR building and other buildings in that area. I could be wrong though.

I feel like @yulilin3 might be able to tell us if this is still correct? I know that was why, but I thought it was different now with new(er) show.

I honestly wonder if we won't get some pop up things happening at DHS starting August 14th since half the park will be closed :/
or maybe I just hope so. Honestly if it weren't for Tower of Terror and Fantasmic I would skip it completely right now

I feel like @yulilin3 might be able to tell us if this is still correct? I know that was why, but I thought it was different now with new(er) show.
To update on this toy story was open until park close when I was there (although park close and fireworks were at 9:30 so I don't know if my finding means anything)

Stumbled across this today... Basically, they are the shotgun gates for a roller coaster that is currently being made in Orlando. They don't say the ride, but the timing, location, and layout all suggest they are the gates the for the Slinky Dog Coaster.

https://www.garmendale.co.uk/blog/shotgun-gates-all-packed-and-ready-to-go/
https://www.garmendale.co.uk/blog/work-shotgun-gates-orlando-theme-park-continues/

Pretty neat to see the sub side of ride construction.
Found it interesting that they say to be installed in October for a December opening.

Found it interesting that they say to be installed in October for a December opening.

As a subcontractor, I would guess the "December opening" means their part in the project will be over. Or they could just plain be wrong. I wouldn't get too excited that TSL itself will be open then.

Stumbled across this today... Basically, they are the shotgun gates for a roller coaster that is currently being made in Orlando. They don't say the ride, but the timing, location, and layout all suggest they are the gates the for the Slinky Dog Coaster.

https://www.garmendale.co.uk/blog/work-shotgun-gates-orlando-theme-park-continues/

The color is also appropriate. I am trying to think if there is any other ride in the Orlando area this could be for. The only thing I can think of it Fast and the Furious at Universal which is supposed to open next Spring.

Although they say there are 16 gates in the system. If the renderings from Disney are accurate, they show only 10 rows per Slinky Dog train. 16 rows would be a large upgrade in train capacity. Although I suppose it is just as possible to have shorter trains of 8 and be able to load 2 trains at a time.

Are there any renderings of the Fast and the Furious ride at USF? ucfknight makes a good point regarding the disparity on the # of gates versus train renderings.

Edit: Looks like the trams for F&F have 8 rows and 4 trams. If it was a clone and if they only loaded and ran two trams at a time it would be 16 gates. Color does not match Universal Hollywood though.

Last edited:
Is it just me that's excited about the Grand Avenue I know it's just an extra place to eat and a bit more space - although I feel like it's the beginning of the end of construction.

As you have this area opening 2017, followed by TSL 2018 culminating in the (What I know will be the ultra super fantastic) Galaxy Edge 2019 (Oh and the Mickey ride in the mix somewhere, just can't remember the Dates lol)

So on my Jan trip I will really look forward to strolling along the Grand Avenue ;)

It seems odd they made Pizzerizzo's if they are retheming this courtyard area away from Muppets? A New York style Pizzeria in an area themed for mordern Day LA? (And a "chararcter" style restaurant) Did they just come up with this Grand Avenue plan recently? Were they originally going to expand the Muppets area and changed plans? They couldn't have just left Pizza Planet and then rethemed that restaurant to fit in this "Grand Avenue" area?

I feel this leaves them the option to put whatever show they want in the Muppets theatre in the future. *shrug*.

Either way .. speculations of an expanded "Muppets" area seem gone.

Just wondering why they chose a "modern day LA" theme to this area instead of a Muppets area or a New York style area?

I think Pizzerizzo is actually themed to be in California, if I'm remembering the DFB review of it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter