Developmentally delayed DS age 3 at WDW

admepo

Mouseketeer
Hello! This is my first time posting on this board. I have a DS who just turned 3 at the end of May. He has been to WDW at age 26 months BEFORE we have been through every road of evaluations, EIP, speech, OT, neurologists, etc, etc...... where he was really unable to enjoy the park. Reading about the GAC, I am wondering if he will be able to get this. I almost feel guilty asking for one, but I think he may better enjoy the parks (as will others around him!). He has not been labelled autistic yet (He will be evaluated in August in Pre-K for autism) but his official diagnosis for now is Developmentally Delayed with Autistic tendencies. Jacob screams, can be inconsolable, and has MANY autism characteristics which we continue this post on forever. I think at this point they are just trying to figure out what part of the spectrum to label him - I have heard PDD, Asbergers, etc for him. Any advice on this??? How would I go about asking my doctor for this note and what needs to be included on it? Should a note come from his therapists or his pediatrican? Like I said, I do feel almost guilty about asking for this card for him but I do want him to enjoy WDW too! Any advice is VERY appreciated!

Melanie

Melanie,
First, DON'T feel guilty about asking for any special assistance--you have a special child! I'm not sure exactly what the policy is now, but you should definitely get a letter from your therapist. My daughter, who is now 6 and diagnosed with high-functioning autism was in prett much the same boat for our last two trips to Disney--she had been diagnosed PDD-NOS, on the autistic spectrum, etc. Disney is such a great place for her! She was two and a half on our first trip and it was in the middle of the trip that she said her own name for the first time! Her very favorite thing (though there was lots of stuff she loved) was the Electric Light Parade. I didn't know about the GAC the first time, but luckily she pretty much ignored other people at that age. The second time we went she was four and had started sometimes getting hysterical if strangers looked at her or especially if they tried to talk to her. Luckily I found a great resource on All Ears Net (http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/dis_aut.htm) and asked her therapists about getting a letter. I wasn't sure what to expect (and it may well have changed by now), but at that time it basically meant getting a pass that let us in the fastpass line. This certainly helped cut down on being in the biggest crowds and she didn't have too many breakdowns. More importantly though, I think it helped with the characters. When I showed them the pass and/or explained a little about her problem, they were very careful in how they approached her. (The only character she got really close to was Pluto--I think it's because he's the most animal, least human-like!)

Anyway, I could go on and on......but I would say take a look at the All Ears link and that may help you in how to approach your therapist about a letter. I know I felt a little silly too, but when I approached the therapists they had absolutely no problem, and said that there were a few other patients they had written letters for also. Have fun on your trip, and feel free to pm me if there are any more questions I can answer!

snoozn

First of all, do not feel at all aprehensive about asking for a GAC, it is meant for special needs people. We have a special needs son, and it sounds like he has some similarities with your son. We've taken him twice, once at 2, & once right after he turned 3. You should not have any difficulty getting a GAC for your son. The Guest Relations people are pretty much the best of the best, IMO, when it comes to cast members at WDW. Just explain your son's situation, just as you've explained here, & you will have no problems. Also, we've never brought a note, but just by explaining the situation, they gladly issued him one.

They will probably give you a stamp on the GAC that will allow the use of FASTPASS or use of an alternate entrance on all the attractions. Also, can your son walk? (ours can't) If he cannot, and you are planning on having him in a stroller, then you can also get a stamp on the GAC which will allow you to use the stroller as a wheelchair, so that you do not have to remove him from the stroller at shows, etc.

Again, don't feel guilty for asking for a GAC. You're not cheating the system or anything, it's there so that your son can enjoy WDW just as much as every other boy and girl. I have to say Disney is the very best at accomodating and even giving special attention to special needs children. (as you probably already know)

Hope some of this helps and please forgive me if I've told you a bunch of stuff you already know!

Have a great trip!

::MickeyMo

Thank you so much for those of you who already responded.

Jacob CAN walk - actually his gross motor skills are the only area he is completely on age level with! :) My only worry is that Jacob has absolutely NO FEAR and NO regard for danger.... so he will be kept in the stroller at all times, on someone's lap, or in immediate finger grasp! For instance, at home when trying to get Jacob to the car he will immediately run for the street as soon as the door is open. He will run anywhere the minute he is let go of in any situation - store, outside, office, parking lots, etc. It is quite humorous to watch me juggle him and my 11 month old to the car in each arm when I am alone taking them out or going to therapy! So I am not quite sure how I am going to handle that yet or how he will sit through the shows. We know we should be able to get him to make it through the Playhouse Disney show at MGM, but unsure about other shows yet. I think I can get him through a few rides with little to no outbursts....my only concern is the WAIT for the rides where he won't fair well which is the reason for the GAC of course.

I appreciate any ideas anyone might have. THANKS

Melanie

Hi there!!
And welcome!!

Our two sons both have ASD...and LOVE WDW!!
They are "flight risks" as well, and WDW is the one place where they don't run. I think that there's just too much else going on everywhere they look:)

We used the WDW strollers for them, and they worked tremendously well...they just felt very protected in them. Our last trip, we didn't even bother with the stroller(the boys are now 6)

Just let the CM know - at every show- that you may have to make a "quick exit". It's no problem, and they will help out however they can..

And I'm glad that you have a sense of humour...it comes in handy!!;);) The ability to find joy is a precious thing...!!!:):)

Have fun!!!!
:sunny:

I'm a special education preschool teacher. Several of my students have been diagnosed with some type of autism spectrum disorder so I know how sensitive little ones can be to changes from their daily routine.

Don't feel guilty about getting a GAC for your son! You want this to be an enjoyable trip that all of you will remember and if your son needs a GAC to make this possible, then by all means get it!

I don't have time for a long reply right now, but just wanted to mention that some of the information on the allears site about GACs and autism is not correct. They state that there are "6 supported needs for a GAC" and that autism is one of them. According to WDW Guest Services CMs, there are no "this condition automatically gets a GAC and this doesn't". Getting a GAC is not based on diagnosis, it's based on needs. Two people with the exact same diagnosis (even autism) can have very different behavior, needs and problems at WDW. So be prepared to explain what sorts of behaviors/problems you expect to have in line. Autism is a fairly common condition that the CMs are very likely to be familiar with, so they are more likely to understand your son's needs if you are using the word "autism" than PPD.
The allears site says to "Bring a doctor's letter, as usual". You have never needed (and still don't need) a letter from a doctor or therapist to request a GAC. Some people do feel more comfortable having one though, so if it makes you feel more confident, bring one.

Just to agree with SueMN, We've got GAC's twice now at Disney parks, and in other parks too, and no-one has ever asked to see a letter. We thought we might have problems at DL Paris last month, but as usual, the CM just took one look at DS ( 5 with ASD) trying to climb onto the counter, singing loudly and "giant stepping" around, and smiled and handed the GAC over (LOL)::rolleyes:

And also , when giving it to CM's at the ride, I've never had anything but the most pleasant and supportive response.
Go for it, it will give your son a chance of getting the most out of WDW like everyone else. You wouldn't think twice about using Babyswap on a ride, a service offered to ensure all guests ( those with young children) can enjoy WDW, and a GAC is the same principle.
DS also loved Playhouse Disney, after we thought he'd never cope, as it's so informal, the children sit on the floor, or get up and dance, and no-one cares if he wouldn't sit still. The first time we went and sat near the edge, thinking we could leave easily if necessary, but we didn't need to. DS loved it so much, and by using the phrase "Live on Stage" we've got him to agree to and enjoy loads of other shows since, because he now knows what to expect.

Welcome Admepo!
I know what you are going through! Just last year, our DS 5 year old was diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder. He actually has 3 diagnosis from 3 professionals. The neurologist says it's Pervasive Developmental Disorder, his special ed teachers say it's mild autism, the school psychologist says he has autistic tendencies. :confused:
We have plenty of advise on traveling with an autistic child. Definitely ask for the GAC. Our son does not like people getting too close, and is prone to what we call "meltdowns". For us, we used the GAC to allow us to use the stroller in line. He could take refuge in that stroller, which made him feel more protected from the crowd. He's too big for a stroller now (he's almost as tall as me!), so I'm not sure what we will do on the next trip. Maybe see if they will let us use the fast pass line, or try to rent a stroller in the park, since they look like a bigger kid will fit. I have a 2 year old, and believe me, I know all about having your hands full! But I know that DisneyWorld is a great place to take a special needs child!!!

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies and advice! I am going to ask for a GAC and get a note regarding some of Jake's more extreme behaviors from his Occupational Therapist just for backup!

Thanks again :teeth:

Melanie

definitely don't feel bad about requesting the GAC. Just figure out what he will need and ask the doctor to list all that apply. Like if he cannot wait online in heat or online at all? Needs to be seated in the front so he can pay attention etc. Do not feel guilty at all. Disney is for EVERY kid and family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter