Detheming of resorts? (a word?)

What rooms don't have a theme now?

I think the only bedspread that added to the theme was POFQ because of the colors. :)

I'd also add Pop bedspreads to the list. It's hard to see in the pictures, but as well as characters, the decades were on the bedspreads.

The loss of the bedspreads is on par with other major hotels in the hospitality industry. Its cleaner and cheaper to do the triple sheeting approach and/or have no bedspread. Guests prefer cleaner, hotels prefer cheaper. I think this is Disney keeping up with the trends of the hotel industry. Regardless of their status as a "Disney" resort, they still have to maintain certain standards to be competitive with people who might opt for the Four Seasons or the Marriotts around.

In addition, many resorts (particularly Coronado Springs) cater to business travelers and group/convention business. This neutral color palette is more attractive to those guests, and gives the Disney resorts a more competitive edge when drawing in groups/conventions. Especially when the Gaylord Palms is right up the street.

Lastly, I think the neutral color palette is less inclined to become outdated so quickly. This means less major room refurbishments, which of course is a cost savings.

I am in the camp of dislike. The beds look like they belong in a hospital not a hotel. I agree not to bring back the bedspreads, but what would be wrong with themed printed sheets? I guess if I want a theme, I will have to go to AoA if I ever go back to Disney. It's a shame to waste that much space for one person as I will be going solo.

You can bleach the snot out of white sheets, colored or patterned sheets wouldn't hold up.

I miss the bedspreads because they were warm. There's not enough blankets on the beds now and I get cold at night.

I hate bed runners - a totally useless item. And bedspreads usually end up on the floor - with the runners. The old rooms were way too busy IMO with patterns that fought for dominance. I think you can still see the theming but it's not so dated looking and is clean and fresh.
I agree, runners are useless. Dont like them. And I absolutely HATE hotel bedspreads!!!!!!!! They make my skin crawl, I don't know why. I just cant stand them.

Sorry but I cant believe how hideous GF rooms are (first pic)! :scared: The second pic is better, but still not the best looking rooms out there. Kinda shocked by this considering how expensive it is to stay at the GF. Wow!

I like a clean look as well but sometimes when done to the extreme it feels a little too much like a dorm room (Coronado gives off this vibe now).

We stayed at Coronado last July and my girls (10,7) loved the renovated rooms there - I did too. We're staying at Yacht Club next year at my girls' request as well because they love the pictures of the rooms. Personally, I don't need over the top Disney theming in order to consider a resort themed, because guess what? When I'm at the Polynesian, I feel like I'm someplace tropical, and when I'm at Port Orleans Riverside, I feel like I'm in the Bayou. Disney is excellent at the immersive theming - I have no complaints about what they're doing to the rooms, especially if that allows the rooms to be cleaner (aka, reduced chance of bed bugs). Truly, I don't want to sleep under a comforter that untold amounts of people have slept under since the last time it was washed.

I like a clean look as well but sometimes when done to the extreme it feels a little too much like a dorm room (Coronado gives off this vibe now).
I lived in a dorm when I was in college - I wish it was that nice. Of course, maybe they've gotten nicer in the 20 years since I lived in one, but mine had painted cinderblock walls - more prison chic than Coronado Springs.

Part of this is because of the stark white look, but also because the new beds have added storage under the beds (which is something I love)!
Hopefully it will be better then it was in the past, which I am doubting. I remember the times they did not have the boxes and you could store stuff under the bed, trust me, you would not have even put your dirty socks under there. These newer beds are higher and should make it easier to clean under, BUT you have to have someone that actually washes them, let alone sweep or vacuum them. Posts are already starting to pop up on how dirty the new floors are:(

I lived in a dorm when I was in college - I wish it was that nice. Of course, maybe they've gotten nicer in the 20 years since I lived in one, but mine had painted cinderblock walls - more prison chic than Coronado Springs.
Meh a lot of people love the new rooms and many don't.

Germaphobe here! I can 100% appreciate the removal of bedspreads to keep up with industry standards.

I feel a lot of the "de-theming" comes from losing the "classic" Disney touch. To some that was the bedspread, lots of color, heavy patterns, etc. A lot of traditional Mickey and character items have also been removed completely or replaced by subtle/refined integrated hidden Mickeys and characters.

GF lost that cute lamp, but there is a Mickey head on the back of the desk chair, in the curtains, and the sheer panels. If you're not really looking, it can easily be missed. There is also an Alice picture hanging in the bathroom.

The YC curtain constellations are adorable and I took a picture of each individual character last time I was there. If you don't really go examine the drapes, you may completely overlook "mousius jovialis," "mermaidus curiousis," "lionus regalis," etc.

While I can recognize a difference in approach, I think Disney is keeping up with the times and rebranding itself visually. Look at the change for Shop Disney stores and World of Disney stores. The old larger than life Disney characters, bright colors, clutter, etc have been replaced with streamlined woods, white walls, and an overall cleaner aesthetic making it easier to see the merchandise.

I agree that bed runners are useless, but I do think that it would add to the decor of the room if they had them. Or even a decorative pillow. I'm picturing my stays at Universal hotels, some operated by Loews, and they had "themed" pillows and runners on the bed. Yes they get thrown in a chair or on the floor, but it adds to the theme and decor which would probably appease a lot of people here.

While I can recognize a difference in approach, I think Disney is keeping up with the times and rebranding itself visually. Look at the change for Shop Disney stores and World of Disney stores. The old larger than life Disney characters, bright colors, clutter, etc have been replaced with streamlined woods, white walls, and an overall cleaner aesthetic making it easier to see the merchandise.

Great points! And I bet it will also be balanced out on a more large-scale level. People who want heavily themed rooms can one day book at the star wars hotel, for example, while people looking for a more subtle theming will have options like Yacht Club or GF.

Hopefully it will be better then it was in the past, which I am doubting. I remember the times they did not have the boxes and you could store stuff under the bed, trust me, you would not have even put your dirty socks under there. These newer beds are higher and should make it easier to clean under, BUT you have to have someone that actually washes them, let alone sweep or vacuum them. Posts are already starting to pop up on how dirty the new floors are:(

We stayed at Pop for two weeks this past summer. We opted out of housekeeping, so we bought our mini wet/dry swiffer. It was perfect.

But this is something you should not have to do and should be done before you check-in.

Well, yes. It should be done before check in. My floor was clean when I checked in.

I doubt they'll go back, but I'm actually not opposed to carpet. I know some people are skeeved out with carpeting in resort rooms, but not me.

Well, yes. It should be done before check in. My floor was clean when I checked in.

I doubt they'll go back, but I'm actually not opposed to carpet. I know some people are skeeved out with carpeting in resort rooms, but not me.
I also do not think they will go back, but it just seemed a lot of Dissers had this idea that the floors would be so much more cleaner.
Also, THANKS A LOT! My DW liked the swiffer idea, since we drive to WDW we have room to take it. More for me to lug to and from the room:headache::rotfl2:

Thanks everyone!

As both judge and jury, I've weighed all your opinions and have decided...I am right. :rotfl:

I can see how the white beds may be unappealing to some (not me, love them) but I disagree that because a Mickey lamp here and there may have been removed that it means the theming is gone. They do add the touches back in other ways, other artwork or fabrics.
The style/theme of all the room refurbs looks basically the same to me before and after.

And in conclusion, Disney rooms are not losing any theming with refurbishments.

Thank you for your time, you are free to go.

The Boardwalk Inn, the Polynesian, and the Grand Floridian have not been refurbed since the trend of de-theming the rooms, so they are still themed.

Resorts that have been de-themed so far include Beach Club, Yacht Club, Pop, CSR, recently POFQ and (still in progress) POR.

Challenge accepted. I've already posted CSR, PoP and POFQ, I concluded they lost no theming. ;)

Yacht Club (I included two pictures of latest refurb because I think the nautical details are even better after the refurb and I couldn't find one picture that captured all)

RWAVYC48961.jpg
review_disney_yacht_club_room_refurbished-20.jpg
review_disney_yacht_club_room_refurbished-28.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter