Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

Today is my last day of spring break and wrapping up some small projects. I painted below the chair rail in the dining room yesterday. Today I went through all the paint and collected a pile to take to recycling next week, labeled a few cans before I forget what they match, and touched up paint in the hallway and my bedroom.

I also went through all the mugs, cups, and a misc. cabinet. Trashed some old things and recycled some plastic.
Donate-
Set of pasta serving bowl and 4 bowls
Coffee cups we don’t need-probably about 10

Adding- just cleaned out laundry room closet. I threw out a few things, found attachments for a cleaner we don’t have anymore, and put things back in kitchen and garage. Now the shelf is organized and there are just 2 laundry baskets in the bottom. Not sure why we had a basketball in there! It looks so much better.

Last edited:
Today’s accomplishment:

One SUV full of items delivered to goodwill.

One F-150 longbed truck dropped off a truck load at the dump.

Garage swept and more organized.

Not even close to being done yet. We are still paying $144 a month for our storage unit. Ugh. I also have some more
Items inside the house I want to discard too.

I listed two tents for sale in our community yard sale board. I am thinking of
Listing my sewing machine I have not use in 10 years.

Last edited:
Another slow week on the decluttering efforts

1 book - donated
6 AA batteries - recycled

7 items left the house

394 items of 2018 or 19.52% of goal

Spent today sorting through clothes DD has outgrown and a bin of hand-me-downs that she has grown into. Filled 5 garbage bags with outgrown/unwanted clothing, shoes, toys and donated to homeless shelter. It felt great to let it go!!

We are going in the wrong direction this weekend - my in-laws are cleaning out their basement and keep bringing us stuff!!!! We have now added a table saw and a weight bench to our garage!!! DH is excited to have the weight bench, but no idea what he is going to do with the table saw since he is not very handy.

I started my decluttering in my jewelry box. DD is home this week from college, I had her look at my old gold necklaces, she did not want any of them so off they went today to the jeweler - got $320.

Took a small box to st Vincent to donate and took a bag to a co worker for her young girls and took one tiara for another co worker's daughter.

We are going in the wrong direction this weekend - my in-laws are cleaning out their basement and keep bringing us stuff!!!! We have now added a table saw and a weight bench to our garage!!! DH is excited to have the weight bench, but no idea what he is going to do with the table saw since he is not very handy.
OMG, my in laws are doing the same thing to us. Their Destashing is giving it to us. I do not want it. I just sold 10 pieces of stone wear that they did not want and they thought we should have it. I sold most of it in 10 minutes after I listed it. I could go on and on. We average items from them once a week when they visit. They use it as an excuse to visit.

I'd like to join in! I may not count every item, but we are on a major destash here. We are prepping for a large community garage sale next month. I'm really excited to be able to get some stuff out and hopefully make a few extra dollars for our vacation fund!

Our second turns 1 in two weeks and has been transitioning out of all the baby items. So far, we have a stroller/car seat combo, changing table, a ton of baby clothes, a baby activity seat, a swing, a bunch of toys, toddler bed/mattress (my toddler hated it and got a new full bed and crib changes to another full bed, so we don't need it).

I will be purging the girl's closet one more time before the sale and adding everything under size 12 months. I also have a storage unit, in our old town an hour away, I need to clean out. I haven't been in it in 4 years, so I'm not even sure what is in there. A bunch of stuff that needs trashed or sold I'm sure.

I started my decluttering in my jewelry box. DD is home this week from college, I had her look at my old gold necklaces, she did not want any of them so off they went today to the jeweler - got $320.
Oooh, I have some broken chains that I should take up! Thanks for the idea! Totally forgot the jewelry box.

Going to purge the dresser this weekend, since the weather won't let me outside. Started with the shirts this morning and have pulled out 4.

Took a small box to st Vincent to donate and took a bag to a co worker for her young girls and took one tiara for another co worker's daughter.

I have all my Jewelry grouped together and I keep looking at it, and walking away. I just can't seem to make myself go through it.

Another slow week on the decluttering efforts

1 bedsheet - trashed

1 items left the house

395 items of 2018 or 19.57% of goal

Had pretty good results from the consignment sale 2 weeks ago. Sold 97 of 111 items AND made $161! One item was missing when I went to pick up my leftovers, so 98 items left the house!

I have organized my picture frames into the way I want them to go on the wall, so after that is done, I will be able to get rid of all of the other picture frames I won't use. That's probably about 20. And we're having a yard sale in 3 weeks..so a bunch of misc stuff will go in that. Yay for decluttering!

A bit more productive this week than the past couple :)

1 book - donated
1 jar of applesauce - donated (bought wrong flavor)
2 binders - donated
1 DVD - donated
3 dry erase markers - trashed
20 sheets of specialty color paper - used up for display board project
2 home depot gift cards - used up and recycled
2 movie passes - used up and recycled (22 items)

32 items left the house

427 items of 2018 or 21.15% of goal

Another semi unproductive week :sad1:
At least some stuff left the house!!

5 cardboard boxes - recycled
2 teriyaki sauce bottles - 1 trashed 1 donated
1 bundle of tissue paper - used up
1 cardboard box - used to ship bday present
2 new Disney notepads - part of a birthday gift
2 book - donated (13 items)

13 items left the house

440 items of 2018 or 21.8% of goal

Not counting but this thread has given me inspiration.

I started cleaning out my closet: Donating some of my pants that I will not fit in anymore (pre-1st-pregnancy-- who am I kidding!??). Threw out some stained shirts and sweaters with holes. Sorted DD2 clothes-- those in good condition will return to my friend who has another friend to give to and threw out the stained clothes. Threw out chewed on books and will throw out newborn toys.
Made my sister and DH go through our snack cabinet--- so much stuff in there ! NO buying any snacks until all is consumed! Threw out old cookies.
Am trying to finish almost finished lotions/creams/foot scrubs.

It's been a pretty productive weekend here. I am getting prepared for our community yard sale in 2 weeks. It has given me a good excuse to go thru things. I have also decided to get rid of some things that were on my "to-do" list - which decreases stress as well.

Recycled - a bunch of papers and an old wipes container
Tossed - a pair of shoes, 4 picture frames, misc wrappers for different stuff
Shredded - 12 old gift cards with 0 balances

For the yard sale, I have started a pile in the spare bedroom. I have 2 large boxes of childrens books, 6 pairs of dress shoes, 20+ picture frames, childrens toys, stuffed animals, 4 never used photo albums, a throw pillow, craft supplies, and more. I can't wait to be rid of it! It's nice to see floor again in other rooms!

I also hung 2 pictures that were on the floor and re-hung the shower curtain that had been stored while we had a roommate for a little bit.

We started in June of 2017 when my wife retired. She has been getting rid of at least two garbage bags a week to Goodwill and another one a week to the trash. We have property (52 1/2 acres) that has a small cabin about two hours away. We cleaned out a shed in the backyard and some things ended up at the farm so I don't know if I can count that. But then again last Friday we brought a trailer and truck bed full of stuff from the farm to the dump so it's working both directions. I guess I have to keep two sets of numbers, one for the house and one for the farm. I know we have at least six loads of trailer and truck from the farm so it will add up fast. The clean out of the house has been going on long enough that it is slowing a little.

I've eliminated the following from our house
Eyeshadow primer (gave to friend)
Vitamins (gave to mom)
North Face jacket (gave to mom)
Ornament (sold on Ebay)
Then the rest in the trash as in bad shape
Socks
2 Fry Pans
3 Dishrags

127 out of 2018 out of the house,
1891 items to go

4 boxes of "stuff" and 2 bags of clothes headed for donation today! Last night was a good destash night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!