Dessert Party - w/ Plaza Garden Viewing

Sorry to hijack the thread but is
One desert party better than the other in terms of view?

You may want to scroll through the first few posts of this thread for some pics: https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...ing-info-now-watching-for-5-28-dates.3604693/

Generally speaking, most people are going to say the Plaza Garden party has a better view. The castle is front/center and the projections are clear/mostly unobstructed.

The Tomorrowland Terrace seated version is at an off angle from the castle and has more obstructions for viewing the projections (more so towards the bottom of the castle) from some spots.

I think both are good choices, but I prefer the Plaza Garden myself. To me, seeing the show "head on" is the biggest benefit.

Hope that helps!

I was in the same situation, I was going to be at MK for one night and it was the saturday of president's week and princess half marathon, so I was expecting heavy crowds. It's just myself and my son so it was probably half of what you are saying for your family of 4. I was very concerned about the crowds so we booked it.

I am not really a dessert person and I ate basically 1 chocolate covered strawberry and the kid had a couple of macarons. I don't really find the other desserts at this thing appealing. What I REALLY wanted was the viewing area. We showed up at 6:45 for the dessert party but by around 7 went out to the viewing area to get a front row prime view. This is the view of the castle we had before the fireworks started:

20180224_195308.jpg

they shut that lamp off and this is the view during the firworks show:

20180224_195644.jpg

I loved the show so much that we changed our after cruise plans from Epcot to MK in the evening. It was a Friday night and still pretty crowded. Instead of going to the dessert party at 6:45, we went to the open area that is the mirror of the plaza viewing area. We showed up there around 6:15 and had our pick of spots right up against the fence. I left the kiddo to hold the spot and went and spent $29 on dinner from Caseys. We had a nice picnic dinner there and chilled out (it was the end of our trip so we were tired and happy to chill for a while). This is the view of the castle before the show:

20180302_190543(2).jpg

and here it is once the fireworks started:

20180302_201125.jpg

I would say they were both very very good views and the "free" version only cost me a half hour more of time to secure. That other little garden viewing area didn't even fill up the whole time we were there, but I am "front row" for fireworks kind of a person. The kid loved his mac and cheese dog. It was all very laid back. But we WERE there nearly 2 hours before fireworks started, 6:15 for an 7:55 start time... but like I said, only an extra half hour on the dessert party. I'd take fries with plastic cheese over any of those desserts any time!

Last edited:
I was in the same situation, I was going to be at MK for one night and it was the saturday of president's week and princess half marathon, so I was expecting heavy crowds. It's just myself and my son so it was probably half of what you are saying for your family of 4. I was very concerned about the crowds so we booked it.

I am not really a dessert person and I ate basically 1 chocolate covered strawberry and the kid had a couple of macarons. I don't really find the other desserts at this thing appealing. What I REALLY wanted was the viewing area. We showed up at 6:45 for the dessert party but by around 7 went out to the viewing area to get a front row prime view. This is the view of the castle we had before the fireworks started:

View attachment 310050

they shut that lamp off and this is the view during the firworks show:

View attachment 310049

I loved the show so much that we changed our after cruise plans from Epcot to MK in the evening. It was a Friday night and still pretty crowded. Instead of going to the dessert party at 6:45, we went to the open area that is the mirror of the plaza viewing area. We showed up there around 6:15 and had our pick of spots right up against the fence. I left the kiddo to hold the spot and went and spent $29 on dinner from Caseys. We had a nice picnic dinner there and chilled out (it was the end of our trip so we were tired and happy to chill for a while). This is the view of the castle before the show:

View attachment 310051

and here it is once the fireworks started:

View attachment 310052

I would say they were both very very good views and the "free" version only cost me a half hour more of time to secure. That other little garden viewing area didn't even fill up the whole time we were there, but I am "front row" for fireworks kind of a person.
Beautiful photos! I’m not sure about this, but in the last month or so I think I read that there is now some kind of extra pay VIP fireworks viewing in that “mirror” garden area over near Casey’s. The information was such that they didn’t know for sure if the whole garden area would be used for this, or just part of it. Anyone know more about this development?

Beautiful photos! I’m not sure about this, but in the last month or so I think I read that there is now some kind of extra pay VIP fireworks viewing in that “mirror” garden area over near Casey’s. The information was such that they didn’t know for sure if the whole garden area would be used for this, or just part of it. Anyone know more about this development?
We were there on March 3rd and I asked a CM before sitting there because I did not want to get told to move at the last minute. But of course that is 2.5 weeks ago at this point.

I booked mainly for the view and not to have to line up and stand in one spot for so long. One caveat is there is a 5 day cancellation on this event and it goes on even if if the fireworks are cancelled. Today there is a tornado watch so a good possibility of cancelled fireworks. I've been keeping an eye on the forecast and I should be good for next Monday but weather is unpredictable.

I've been considering booking the Plaza Garden Dessert Party for our upcoming honeymoon trip in June. My fiance has always been resistant to fireworks simply because of the crowds, but I think this would be right up his alley (plus desserts for me!). The reviews here have definitely pushed me to book it. Thanks!

We were there on March 3rd and I asked a CM before sitting there because I did not want to get told to move at the last minute. But of course that is 2.5 weeks ago at this point.
I just looked it up. It started on March 13. Club level Deluxe guests now have the option to buy more fast passes. Those and their regular fast passes can be booked 90days from the last day of their reservation. Along with this option comes one special viewing area per day for fireworks at MK or Epcot, Fantasmic, or Rivers of Light. For the MK fireworks the vip viewing area is indeed that garden near Casey’s. I still am not sure if it’s the whole garden or just a part of it. So I don’t know if the regular park goer will still be able to use this area. I’ve viewed fireworks from there a few times. Sometimes I think a Disney “nickel and dime official” follows me around to see some of the things I do for “free”, so that they can figure out what they can charge more money for.

I just looked it up. It started on March 13. Club level Deluxe guests now have the option to buy more fast passes. Those and their regular fast passes can be booked 90days from the last day of their reservation. Along with this option comes one special viewing area per day for fireworks at MK or Epcot, Fantasmic, or Rivers of Light. For the MK fireworks the vip viewing area is indeed that garden near Casey’s. I still am not sure if it’s the whole garden or just a part of it. So I don’t know if the regular park goer will still be able to use this area. I’ve viewed fireworks from there a few times. Sometimes I think a Disney “nickel and dime official” follows me around to see some of the things I do for “free”, so that they can figure out what they can charge more money for.

Just FYI, the early reports that came in last week were that one night they used approx 1/4 of the garden for the trial CL program, another night it was a smaller area. Obviously need more real-time info to see the long-term trend, but I suspect the space will flex night to night depending on the guest count. I doubt they will ever have enough takers to actually fill the whole garden - I just don’t see that being a reality if you look at the eligible guest count for the trial - but something to watch.

Just FYI, the early reports that came in last week were that one night they used approx 1/4 of the garden for the trial CL program, another night it was a smaller area. Obviously need more real-time info to see the long-term trend, but I suspect the space will flex night to night depending on the guest count. I doubt they will ever have enough takers to actually fill the whole garden - I just don’t see that being a reality if you look at the eligible guest count for the trial - but something to watch.
Thanks for the update. That sounds pretty good!

We booked the Plaza Viewing last June and I thought it was worth it. I do love my desserts (my DH isn't a huge fan however) though I didn't really eat that many as we showed up around 8:15 for a 9pm show. We got our treats and ate til 8:35 then we headed over to the viewing area. Great view and my boys were able to stay in the stroller and see it. The party right in front of us was gracious enough to sit so my boys could see.

I will definitely do it again in the future.

I booked mainly for the view and not to have to line up and stand in one spot for so long. One caveat is there is a 5 day cancellation on this event and it goes on even if if the fireworks are cancelled. Today there is a tornado watch so a good possibility of cancelled fireworks. I've been keeping an eye on the forecast and I should be good for next Monday but weather is unpredictable.

Yes...we arrived on Southwest during the tornado watch yesterday. Right before the airport started diverting flights. I’m glad tonight will be nice for the Dessert Party - chilly, but nice! :)

Well, as promised, I am reporting back about the HEA garden dessert party. We loved the unobstructed view and how relaxed this option was for our family! The desserts were pretty good (nothing amazing) but they also had many beverages, a huge cheese platter, and a fruit platter. It wasn't too busy at the dessert party either. We got an awesome view leaning against the back rail. It was packed at the hub and all the way down main street, so I am so happy we made this choice. It was our first time seeing HEA and all I can say is WOW! I am so happy we had a great view of the castle projections and also of Tinkerbell flying past us! In my opinion, it was worth every penny. :)

Hmmmmm so if it only takes an extra half-hour to secure a good spot, is the dessert package really worth it cause you'll be inside eating desserts during that time anyway?

We booked this dessert party for June on our vacation. My DH hates waiting in enormous crowds so I’m looking forward to not having to stress about finding a good spot hours ahead of time.

Well, as promised, I am reporting back about the HEA garden dessert party. We loved the unobstructed view and how relaxed this option was for our family! The desserts were pretty good (nothing amazing) but they also had many beverages, a huge cheese platter, and a fruit platter. It wasn't too busy at the dessert party either. We got an awesome view leaning against the back rail. It was packed at the hub and all the way down main street, so I am so happy we made this choice. It was our first time seeing HEA and all I can say is WOW! I am so happy we had a great view of the castle projections and also of Tinkerbell flying past us! In my opinion, it was worth every penny. :)

Thank you so much for posting your experience. It sounds like you had a great time. We are booked for June 24th and cannot wait! Thanks for sharing.

Hmmmmm so if it only takes an extra half-hour to secure a good spot, is the dessert package really worth it cause you'll be inside eating desserts during that time anyway?

I think this depends on your crew. We did this dessert party last weekend (3/25) and for my 7 and 9 year olds, having space to goof off and spread out while waiting all that time was WELL worth it. I can't imagine having them sit still in one place with crowds gathering for that long, at these ages at least. We were bummed that we still had some obstructed views because people up at the front railing were standing - I wish cast members had been there to politely discourage that as it created a huge ripple effect behind them. But maybe we just had bad luck.

I refuse to fight the crowds to watch the fireworks after a bad experience with some man.
We have done both the Terrace and Plaza Garden viewing. The Plaza garden definitely was our favorite view. Worth every penny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter