Dessert Party or Dining for a LARGE party

rideswithchrist

DIS Veteran
We will be going next June with family and there will be 10-12 of us, hopefully and want to plan for one thing we can all do together and get a photo.
What are the best places to eat or a dessert party that would work ok?

We've had many awesome opportunities to enjoy meals at Disney with a large family group. Just some experiences we've had (not sure what your family likes!). 1) 'OHana, where we've had as many as 20 of us sitting at the same table - we also have an amazing family photo from the Poly lobby!; 2) Boma, where we also got to sit together - and the buffet allowed people with different tastes to enjoy what they wanted; 3) Chef Mickeys - although not a fancy dining experience, we did sit near each other - and they took a family photo for us as we entered (another photo on our wall at home!); 4) We also did the MK fireworks/dessert party, and that worked out very well, too!

Funny story - if we have a time and place we absolutely want to get the entire family together - at least once, my wife and I offer to treat for that meal. Funny how everyone shows up when someone else is buying!! Good luck with your plans. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Keep in mind if you book a sit down meal there is no guarantee you will all be seated at the same table. Sometimes they do have to break up large parties.

Keep in mind if you book a sit down meal there is no guarantee you will all be seated at the same table. Sometimes they do have to break up large parties.

We pretty much assumed that seating 12-13 would mean 2 tables, but that is why I was asking if there were options to prepare for large groups since that is fairly typical at DW. We are ok with splitting seating though- mainly we wanted a photo op for everyone.

We've had many awesome opportunities to enjoy meals at Disney with a large family group. Just some experiences we've had (not sure what your family likes!). 1) 'OHana, where we've had as many as 20 of us sitting at the same table - we also have an amazing family photo from the Poly lobby!; 2) Boma, where we also got to sit together - and the buffet allowed people with different tastes to enjoy what they wanted; 3) Chef Mickeys - although not a fancy dining experience, we did sit near each other - and they took a family photo for us as we entered (another photo on our wall at home!); 4) We also did the MK fireworks/dessert party, and that worked out very well, too!

Funny story - if we have a time and place we absolutely want to get the entire family together - at least once, my wife and I offer to treat for that meal. Funny how everyone shows up when someone else is buying!! Good luck with your plans. Sounds like an awesome trip.

Those are great ideas and we have not been to Boma or 'Ohana

We have also had 12+ people at Ohana and managed to all be together. We actually got very lucky and had a window seat and, because of how long it took from check-in until we sat down, we were there when the MK fireworks were going off.

We also had a trip just before everything shut down and had several meals as a group of 8 which didn't seem to be a problem, so I would imagine that they could accommodate a few more. Those were at The Wave, Mama Melrose, Be Our Guest, Coral Reef, and Tusker House. We also were all together at Teppan Edo but I don't think we could have fit more people, there.

We also had a trip just before everything shut down and had several meals as a group of 8 which didn't seem to be a problem, so I would imagine that they could accommodate a few more. Those were at The Wave, Mama Melrose, Be Our Guest, Coral Reef, and Tusker House. We also were all together at Teppan Edo but I don't think we could have fit more people, there.

Disney will definitely try to seat you together if at all possible. However as a party of 8 we have been seated at 2 tables before. CRT is the restaurant that comes to mind first. Totally depends on the restaurant at that point in time.

After asking our other family members, we decided to do a Fantasmic package and eat at Mama Melrose and then get the VIP seating for the show later. I think we will be taking a photo in front of the Chinese Theater. I think I am just along for the ride haha.

We've done some larger groups (10+) and have eaten at various places. One that worked out well was California Grill - we had 10 people, sat at one long table and shared a lot of the apps and flat breads and stuff and got to watch the fireworks from our table. Got photos in the restaurant but the concourse area also makes for some nice photos and of course out on the observation deck with the Magic Kingdom in the background

Ohana will take a nice photopass pic of you guys with Stitch with your whole group, and is very large group friendly. I've been there multiple times with both big family groups and big friend groups (in that 10-12 range) and it always goes well.

Boma is great for eating, I agree, lots of variety super tasty... you'd need to take your own photo, but likely a friendly cast member nearby in the outdoor areas who would do it for you.

I agree, Cali grill would be awesome for that kind of hangout if it was an older family (I don't think little kids would like it as much as Ohana...)

I don't think a dessert party would be good - but I'm not a fan of them much anyway in terms of value. But it will be dark, so your photo would either by inside by the buffet (at MK at least, not very attractive/themed tomorrowland terrace) or outside in the dark (uhh...). Difficult to get a nice picture when people are spread out on the lawn already etc.

We've done lots of big family dinners. Ohana is a favorite and we've gone there about six times; sat together (usually 18-26 people) every time except once, and that time it was several reservations for 8 I think, so not really the restaurant's fault. Chef Mickey splits us every time, and so did Mama Melrose. Crystal Palace always seats us together, so does Boma. Be Our Guest was once together and once split; they also do a photo. Sorry, but I'm having trouble remembering any more.
So in the end I think 10-12 will probably not be too difficult to get seated together at many places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!