DESPERATE for homemade frosting recipe

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
Can someone please help me? I need a frosting recipe for sugar cookies - not the thin powder sugar and milk frosting that drips.....a thick, yummy, homemade frosting recipe................. the best frosting in the world is what I'm looking for.

where is my mom when I need her? :confused3

This is how I make my buttercream...

1/4 cup (1/2 cube) butter, softened (more or less depending on how much you are making)

beat into a few cups of powdered sugar (use an electric mixer), you want to end up with a mixture that is more crumbly than smooth, so add sugar accordingly.

mix in 1 tsp. of vanilla

mix in milk 1 Tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached. I'm sorry I don't have better measurements, but I just guesstimate... :)

good luck!

cryssi said:
This is how I make my buttercream...

1/4 cube butter, softened (more or less depending on how much you are making)

beat into a few cups of powdered sugar (use an electric mixer), you want to end up with a mixture that is more crumbly than smooth, so add sugar accordingly.

mix in 1 tsp. of vanilla

mix in milk 1 Tbsp at a time until the desired consistency is reached. I'm sorry I don't have better measurements, but I just guesstimate... :)

good luck!

My recipe is the same...makes a really creamy frosting...yummy!!!!

This is what we use here: we get lots of compliments on it (I think it tastes a lot like the stuff used at Cheryl's Cookies (out of Ohio)

I BOX powdered sugar (my Mom swears there is a difference between the boxed and bagged)
1 stick butter/margarine (1/2 lb), softened
1 teas. vanilla
3 Tbls. milk

good luck!
jen

Creamy vanilla frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons milk

One of the above covers just about a double batch of my sugar cookies.

Frost, but let sit on table until the frosting sets up, then put in plastic container with wax paper between layers.

ETA: to keep from thinning when coloring, I use the gel coloring instead of the old liquid drops my mom used

Grumpy's Gal said:
1/4 what? cup? stick? lb?

thanks for anyone who can answer!!

I just realized that it should have said 1/4 cup (1/2 stick)...

but really, it's at your discretion. Oh, and if you find it is too stiff, add more milk, too runny, add more powdered sugar!

My favorite recipe is the same as jenniferma...but I use canned evaporated milk or liquid coffee creamer to thin. It makes the frosting richer and smoother than plain milk.
Deb :coffee:

Here is my buttercream recipe that I always receive a million compliments on(to toot my own horn):

1 cup solid veg. shortening (or one crisco stick)
1 cup butter (not margarine) (or two sticks)
3 teaspoons pure vanilla
8 cups sifted confectioners/powdered sugar (about 2 lbs) (boxed is better)
4 tablespoons milk (I use skim)

cream butter & shortening. Add vanilla. Slowly add sugar. Beat until well blended. Add milk.

I've got the exact same recipe as rt2dz, but mine is cut in half (1/2 cup each butter/shortening, 4 cups powdered sugar, etc.). Is enough to frost a cake or cupcakes made from box mixes but I'll double it (or used rt2dz's version) for anything larger. My recipe came from a Wilton 1980s cake book and I also get a TON of compliments on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter