DESPERATE for help

aes74

visiting wdw since '74 (as a baby!)
When my great aunt died of breast cancer I inherited a beautiful antique dresser that has been in the family forever. I remember it from childhood. Here's the point: While she was ill, it resided in the back cottage along with a renter who smoked constantly indoors. There was supposed to be no smoking inside, but she was terminally ill....and couldn't keep up with it. By the time we knew it was happening, the damage was done.

So, please, please, does anyone know how I can get the smoke out of this piece? If it didn't mean anything to me, I would just drop it off at Goodwill. But it does mean something to me, and I would like to put it in my daughter's room.

The smell inside is horrific. I have tried many suggestions, including dryer sheets, etc. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone successfully removed the smell? I can't imagine being able to put her clothes in it, but I hope we will be able too. Please help!!!

I would try putting a box of baking soda in it or even ceder chips. See if one of those draws the smoke out.?

Like the kind of company that comes out when you have had a fire in your home. They may have some suggestions, or may even be able to pick up the piece and remove the smell.

Hi! I had a hutch from my husband's grandmother that just reeked of smoke. It took quite a while for it to smell better. I would clean every square inch of it with furniture polish to make sure there was no surface smoke residue. I put air fresheners inside it and kept changing them as needed. One thing I did not think of at the time - some sort of charcoal air filter. The charcoal is supposed to absorb smell very well.

Good luck!

Lisa

What exactly is a charcoal air filter? I have never heard of it before! Do you know where to find one? If it's expensive?
Thanks!

I did a google search on charcoal air filter. Here's one thing I found. I don't know if it is good or not. You can do a search, there were lots more charcoal air filters available.

http://www.flat-d.com/odorkleen.html

Range hood fans usually have a charcoal filter in them to absorb odors.

Good luck!

Lisa

Take a plate with some regular BBQUE charcol on it
put it in the drawers and leave it for a few days

Just don't use the briquets that are pre-soaked with lighter fluid! ;) I know it sounds stupid, but DFIL didn't want to buy any since we already had some Matchlight or whatever it's called. He just replaced one odor with another. LOL

piratesmate said:
Just don't use the briquets that are pre-soaked with lighter fluid! ;) I know it sounds stupid, but DFIL didn't want to buy any since we already had some Matchlight or whatever it's called. He just replaced one odor with another. LOL

good point! thanks!!

piratesmate said:
Yeah I should have added that

thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter