Deluxe Room Comparison-Wilderness vs Beach

fairygagamother

Mouseketeer
We enjoyed a split stay over spring break, beginning at WL. There were 7 of us, 4 adults & 3 children (10, 10, & 2). The deluxe room had a closed off bedroom with 2 queen beds & a convertible couch in the living area. The bathroom was located between the 2 areas & had 2 entrance doors- one from the living area & one from the bedroom. Those doors led into the sink/dressing area. The tub & toilet were in the area behind another door.

The room was located beyond the hallway that went past Roarin Forks. We followed that hallway until it reached a dead end & then turned into the hallway that went to the right And then all the way down that hall & then turned left again & our room was the last one on the left. It sounds more complicated than it really was! I had requested a ground floor level room, why?? I can't remember now, but when the CM called to discuss room selection, I think she sold me on it! It was convenient to Roarin Forks , the pool, & the boat, but very inconvenient to the lounge. We found a " shortcut " to the lounge, that only took about 7 minutes, if you consider that quick! It really wasn't an issue for us. There was one man complaining (loudly) to the CMs about paying all that money for a deluxe room & how inconvenient it was. He was one unhappy customer!

Which brings me to the reason for choosing the deluxe room. With 7 of us, we would have had to reserve 2 rooms & we do enjoy club level. The cost of the deluxe room compared to the cost of 2 club level rooms made more sense monetarily . I was a Little worried about such close quarters considering the personalities involved in our group. Two very opinionated , know it alls! But everyone was on their best behavior , mostly, so it worked out for us. And we were there only 3 nights, and during one of those nights, part of our party hadn't arrived yet. Had we all been there even for 3 nights, our memories might not have been so sweet!

We had a view of the lake, but the huge columns blocked most of that when sitting. It was actually too cold during our visit to sit outside much, so that wasn't an issue. The room size was fine, as long as the couch was folded up. It pretty much took up the entire living area when opened. We had plenty of storage in the bedroom for the 4 of us who were using that space. There was virtually no room for suitcases in the living area. So I would say it was a little crowded for 7 people. I forgot to mention there was a small sink & refrigerator in the living area as well. There were also tvs in each room.

The CMs were just okay. Not really helpful when we had a few minor issues. Not rude or unfriendly, but just kind of acted like they didn't care. They had called before our trip to discuss room location ( & we know how that turned out!) as well as drink selections. They stocked the. Fridge with beverages of our choice! I loved that little perk! And they stopped by every day to see if we wanted more drinks. And they also delivered our itenerary each day. I wasn't expecting either one of those things, so that was a nice surprise.

Now for the food in the lounge. There was a heavy soup or stew each day & then the regulars--hummus, raw veggies, fruits, cheese, crackers, cookies. It was more manly food rather than the typical finger food/horsdevours (never can spell that right!). Nothing lunch-worthy & the just regular breakfast options, nothing unusual or creative that I remember. The manly man in our group enjoyed the food. I rate it as just okay, only because I'm not a stew or soup person. It just felt like there were fewer options available.

We did go out on the lounge balcony every night to watch the fireworks . The balcony is fairly small, but the first 2 nights it was just 4 of us & then about 2 or 3 others. That's a great way to see the fireworks! Not having to fight the crowds & the booms were muffled, were a huge plus to me! And then just walking for 7 minutes back to the room was awesome.

When we left to change resorts, we left our bags with bell services & had them sent over to our new rooms . Worked like a charm, although they aren't delivered until late afternoon & you do have to be in your room when they are delivered. But we knew this & were prepared.

Because of schedule changes, school issues, etc I had to rearrange our resort stays several different times. The 3 that arrived later , stayed longer, & the 3 that arrived earlier, left sooner. All that to say, our party ended up having reservations at separate hotels for the last part of the trip. DD, DSIL & DGS had a reservation at Grand Floridian ( yeah, sad, isn't it?) for their last night, while the rest of us went to Beach Club in a deluxe room. I really did feel a little guilty putting them at GF, not club level, while we had not only a club room, but a deluxe one. BUT--- DD texted me after they checked in & said" why is there food in the lobby?" Pixie dust!!!! They were upgraded to Sugar Loaf!! She's stayed CL numerous times, but never at GF & had always had to go into a different floor or room to use the lounge. And I had made that particular reservation through an online agency instead of Disney. So I now know upgrades happen regardless of where the reservation is made. I think they got it because their reservation was for one night only. But, however it happened, WOO HOO, guilt gone!

Our room at BC was spacious & had been re-done since the last time we stayed. A lot of the extra space is in the entryway, so it's kind of wasted in my opinion. There were 2 queen beds & a spacious sitting area with a fold-out couch. The twins shared the couch & DD & I each had our own bed. Our second floor room had no balcony or patio, which I really did miss here. The faux balcony overlooked a grassy area & the beach & water beyond that. I could turn a chair to look out the window, but it just wasn't the same as sitting outside. And it had warmed up enough that sitting outside would have been pleasant. I had requested a ground floor room here on purpose because the first floor deluxe room is beyond fabulous! It has a huge patio & lots of light & it's a few steps away from the quiet pool & hot tub . But it was not to be this time. I still loved the room we had.

Just for comparison sake, I will mention that our refrigerator was not stocked here, as it had been before. And we were actually given fresh flowers when we had stayed here previously! And the welcome drink was absent as well. I hate cutbacks! These are not complaints, just stating the facts, ma'm.

If you've ever stayed at BC you know its hallways are like mazes. And it was a long circuitous trip to get to the lounge. Or to get anywhere, really! But, again, we knew this, so it didn't bother us.

I always enjoy the lounge food here. It's heavy on seafood, and I am definitely a seafood fan. But what really stands out here are the kids' food offerings. Chicken fingers, mini corn dogs & macaroni & cheese were offered, one each night.

Now a word about the CMs here. I got sick on our second day & went to ask about walk-in clinics. The CM really didn't help me much. She said they used to have some brochures but they were all out. Period. Nothing else. As at WL, she wasn't rude or unfriendly , just didn't seem to care.
At both places, I was made to feel as if I was imposing when asking for help. The CMs I encountered were all typing on their computers & barely looked up. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I felt. UNTIL---- I encountered Adam. I was having fast pass issues, had made fast passes for me & DGS for TSM & passes for DD & DGD for RockRC. Since I was sick, I was not going to a park. I asked if they could use my band if I wasn't actually in the park so that each kid could ride their ride with an adult. That was a no. Adam & I brainstormed, coming up with every possible option. He was making phone calls & spending a lot of time with me trying to find a solution. He told me he would keep working on it. Well, Pixie Dust again!! He called several hours later & had FP for ALL of them to ride TSM and RRC!!! Two tier one attractions!! For everyone!!

One other observation is that we were never inconvenienced by room checks. Maybe when they brought the drinks & itinerary at WL, that was the room check? And maybe the turndown service was the room check at BC? I don't know, but no one ever knocked on our door at an odd time or disturbed us.

In conclusion, both experiences were good & I would stay at either one again. I do love all the little hidden nooks at WL & I love the transportation to MK. But I also love the Atrium area at BC for sitting & relaxing. It used to be mostly empty, but they have started having activities there, so it's not as tranquil as it once was. I do like the food better in the lounge at BC. But the fast food place is much better at WL. And only because of Adam do I have to say the CMs win at Beach!
And I can't wait to go back!!

The reason that your band won't work for others to use your fast passes is because you have to of entered the park (scan your fingerprint)for them to work.
I injured my arm at MK last yr and WL management gave me 6 FP's for all my family members (they were on a paper).
WL is my fav place...with the shady areas and woods feeling. I feel like I am far away from Florida there lol
If your looking for a Florida vacation/beach feel I certainly get the love of the Beach Club.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It is amazing how one person/CM (yours was Adam) can make all the difference!pixiedust:

Thanks for your review. I’m surprised, WL CL cms and lounge always have gotten such good reviews. We stayed at BC CL and the cms there were very friendly. And helpful. We were on the CL floor and had to pass the desk to get to elevator. They always made a point of chatting with my daughter asking her where she was off to. And when we returned they remembered and would ask how she liked ..... on check out they remembered she liked the taffy (they kept a bowl of it on the desk and she would take one in passing) and gave her a whole bag to take home. But this was quite a few years ago.

It was a deluxe room category & used to be called a Junior suite. We were allowed 7 people because the 7th person was two. And, I'm not sure if this information is correct, but I was told there were no extra charges for the 3rd & 4 th adult. I like that!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!