Deja vu—do you experience it?

katie01

DIS Veteran
I experience deja vu quite often and have since I was a child. My 14 year old was asking me today what it meant since she’d heard if it somewhere, and when I described it she said she’d never experienced it before (and I went into great detail with examples). My 11 year old knew exactly what it was and says it happens to her all the time too, which didn’t surprise me, because I remember her describing deja vu experiences to me when she was very little, before anyone had mentioned to her what it was.

So I was curious if there are others out there who have never experienced it. Or if you have, about how often?

I mostly get it when I take a long walk and I have a lot on my mind. It scares me how I do not remember getting from Point A to point B, but then It feels like I have been there before. I almost think it is like you actually fall asleep a few seconds, but your body stays in motion.

When I was a kid I did quite often. As an adult maybe every few years.

The weirdest thing that was not deja vu, but was really weird was having a vivid dream about visiting Charleston, SC when I was in my early 20's. I have never been to Charleston, even to this day, but I have the most vivid, specific dream I've ever had that it compelled me to learn a little bit about Charleston. My dream was so spot on it was spooky. I still don't know why or how I had that dream, but I still think about it from time to time.

I used to get it all the time as a kid, now it happens less frequently but it definitely still happens. The weirdest one was when a friend and I had deja vu at the exact same time, but it was our first time at that particular place.

Yep. Every few months and once I blurted out the phone was going to ring and it did. Freaked everyone out!

Yes. I experience it more often than I'd like. It creeps me out. I wish I understood it.

Last edited:
Once in a great while, usually minor stuff. But I do once remember "changing the ending", and I actually got kind of dizzy.

Yes. It's so surreal when it happens. I feel like I'm watching a rerun of my favourite show, where I know exactly what people will say and what happens next.

There is a scientific explanation for deja vu. It happens when the pathways that send experiences to your short-term memory screw up and send them to your long term memory. So - as you experience situations. your brain tells you that it already happened.

Knowing what is going to happen next isn't deja vu - it's something else.

Ending up somewhere and not remembering getting there isn't deja vu either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts