Decorate a stranger's stroller?

This is an idea that sounds great in your head, but comes off very creepy in real life. If you really want to give someone some pixiedust then surprise a child with a candy in the store who is behind you in line. I did this once at a grocery store, well it was for an adult but it still made her day. Didn't know the woman whatsoever and I left extra money at the register to pay for the few items she had in her hands. I still remember the smile on her face when I waived bye to her, didn't even get her name. Just wanted to make someone's day a little better.

I think it's a great idea, but it would be problematic to implement. Maybe let your kids pick out some little things to pass out to kids in line or just randomly while exploring the parks? Coming from an adult it can be creepy (we all learned not to take candy from strangers) but it's better with kids. My kids love doing variations of this, giving away tickets or tokens at Chuck E Cheese, leaving a quarter on top of the machines at the grocery store, giving away an extra squirt gun or sand toy or something while playing at the park.

If you really want to give someone some pixiedust then surprise a child with a candy in the store who is behind you in line.

No. Don't do this. Ever. You have no idea what kind of food allergies or dietary restrictions the child may have. Never, ever offer food to a child you do not know. No parent wants to have to take something away from their child, or worse yet, have to pull out an epi pen.

No. Don't do this. Ever. You have no idea what kind of food allergies or dietary restrictions the child may have. Never, ever offer food to a child you do not know. No parent wants to have to take something away from their child, or worse yet, have to pull out an epi pen.
We must be the most allergic population on earth.

I think they mean everyone has allergies now, I understand you want to do something fun for someone else but don't it sounds creepy in real life along with the candy back in my day i'm in my mind 20's I learned to not take candy from strangers.

I'm not sure what you mean?
I think they mean everyone has allergies now, I understand you want to do something fun for someone else but don't it sounds creepy in real life along with the candy back in my day i'm in my mind 20's I learned to not take candy from strangers.
Actually, what I meant is that most children are taught not to take candy from strangers. And most children aren't allergic to anything. Yes, some children are, but most aren't.

And most adults are taught to ask parents before handing over candy to a child. In fact, on this very forum, people are told time and time again to ask the parent before even smiling at a child. Okay, it doesn't go that far, but pretty darn close. So there isn't any problem giving candy to a child, just check with the parent first.

Yes, decorating a stroller seems to push it. If someone decorated my scooter, I would be pretty uncomfortable.

But if the OP really wants to do it, pull one of the parents aside and ask them about it. That way the family has warning. And he has the option of saying no.

I'll be honest I've never understood the desperate need on these boards to pixie dust people at the parks. If you honestly want to do some Disney based good then take a day out of your vacation and go volunteer at Give Kids the World or donate to them. Now that's a place that can use all our generosity. If a family is at Disney no matter how much they needed to save to get there then they really aren't the type that need a ton of help. Not being able to buy a plush Mickey is not a life or death situation when there are people who never will make it to Disney no matter how much they try to desperately save for that once in a life time trip. So take the time and energy and money and put it towards GKTW, a local wish organization, a family shelter, or even a children's hospital. Many children's hospitals take donations of unused or easily cleanable toys that can go in their play areas or if you have enough you can set up a meet and give.

We brought extra glow sticks to give away- it really made my kids happy to share and the other kids sitting next to them are so happy when they get something (plus their parents are happy!)
I have heard about people passing their balloons off if they leave the park... if it was a kid to kid handoff, that is not very creepy.

Of course- IF there was a neat little note on the balloon stating the intent (like when people put candy canes on cars at Christmas)- I think the parents would be appreciative.

Some people are at Disney on a shoestring and their kids don't get all the extras so a balloon on a stroller with "Random act of kindness" balloon is a fun idea.

I wouldn't touch anyone else's stroller, and I would prefer that nobody touch mine.

If you decorate their stroller, and they are looking for their stroller as they left it, they are going to have trouble finding it, and maybe get upset. I mean, I wouldn't expect to leave my undecorated stroller and when I came back, if my undecorated stroller wasn't there, I'd never think that they one with a balloon and streamers on it was mine, so I'd likely report to a CM that my stroller was missing.

Bottom line: no, don't do it.

I wouldn't touch anyone else's stroller, and I would prefer that nobody touch mine
If you decorate their stroller, and they are looking for their stroller as they left it, they are going to have trouble finding it, and maybe get upset. I mean, I wouldn't expect to leave my undecorated stroller and when I came back, if my undecorated stroller wasn't there, I'd never think that they one with a balloon and streamers on it was mine, so I'd likely report to a CM that my stroller was missing.

Bottom line: no, don't do it.
My kids no longer need a stroller but back in the day our double stroller was a sacred thing to us. I wouldn't want strangers touching 'our ride'.

OP, it looks like I'm in the minority here, but I think it's a great idea perhaps with a few tweaks. First, as some said it might cause a tad bit of confusion locating their stroller so I'd probably only put it on a stroller that obviously stood out. Maybe one that already has a big name tag on the back and/or a totally unique color design. Second, I'd put a little tag on the balloon or gift so they know it was meant for them. Something like just a little pixie dust from Mickey Mouse, I hope this little surprise put a smile on your face, or something along those lines. So they won't think someone put it on their stroller by accident. And I also wouldn't stand around waiting to see the reactions. People can park their strollers for a really long time and you could waste a significant portion of your day. If you want to see the smile on someones face offering them a balloon in person would be a better way to go. We've done that many times ourselves.

I also wouldn't go crazy with too many things because the only downside I could see from this would be too much stuff to carry back on the bus. Just a simple balloon or small gift that wouldn't require you to even touch the stroller would be ideal IMO.

We do plan for pixie dust gifts and have loved being the recipient of a few over the years. For us, it just adds to the whole joyous experience of the Disney parks.

I think the best thing to do in this case would be to pass on your mickey balloon. I've heard of families doing this before (not my idea). If you buy a balloon on your vacation and are about to leave, pass it on to a family that is just arriving. It's wonderful and thoughtful surprise. Also, the face-to-face interaction allows for a decline in case that family has latex/balloon allergies. You can do the same thing with any leftover souvenirs or unopened snacks you might have.

I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought the Family thread would be best.

Would it be totally crazy to decorate a stranger's stroller, just for fun?

I've heard of people getting "pixie dust" and having CMs decorate their strollers. This never happened to us when we had small children but we would have LOVED it. My thought was that my kids, DH and I could buy some Disney stuff--balloon, small stuffed animal, ears, whatever--and watch for a family to leave their stroller to go to an attraction (this way we would know they weren't coming back soon enough to discover us). Then we could decorate the stroller. I'm talking very superficially--we wouldn't go pawing through its contents or anything--we could probably do the whole thing without actually physically touching the stroller. Then we could sit far back and watch the family discover this "non-pixie dust" in secret.

Is this crazy? Could we get in trouble for this? Would you freak out if you came back to your stroller and found a stranger tying a balloon to the handle?
I wouldn't touch anyone else's property. It's a sweet idea, but I can imagine Angry Parent marching up at the wrong moment, loudly demanding to know what you're doing with their stroller, pretty much scaring all of the pixie dust away.

Don't mess with people's stuff. That is not cool, despite your intent.

If you want to make little magic moments, that's very nice. Next time you are in line at a food cart, turn around and ask the person behind you what they are going to get, and then order it for them and pay for it. Guaranteed, you will make someone happy.

I'm sorry but there are people out there with anaphylactic latex allergies that it would make it a VERY bad idea to "pass off a balloon" or even think of putting one on an unsuspecting strangers belongings (stroller etc). Just don't do it, I agree with someone above if you want to spend money on strangers(do a nice deed), do something like pay for the next family in lines ice cream at the Plaza Ice cream shop etc. Or volly at GKTW, they will love and appreciate it and you don't have to worry about ruining someones vacation due to allergies etc.

I'm sorry but there are people out there with anaphylactic latex allergies that it would make it a VERY bad idea to "pass off a balloon" or even think of putting one on an unsuspecting strangers belongings (stroller etc).

This, plus there's always a chance that they're staying at AKL, where balloons are not allowed.

Yeah unfortunately good intentions with bad outcomes

1. Its one thing if a cast member is doing something and offers, just some stranger- not so much
2. There is the AKL issue or the allergy issue as mentioned above
3. There is the - I would kind of be really PO'd if someone did something to our stroller, not knowing its ours, knowing its ours and someone was messing with it anyway, and not knowing whats missing or if there is damage to it (especially since its pretty much going to be a new stroller with little usage. )

I think a small toy with a note that says "have a magical day" or something to the sort would be nice and wouldn't cause me any panic/suspension. Unfortunately my grandsons adaptive stroller will be going through the lines with us and be left as boarding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter