December 2018 Check-in Thread

First, Welcome to all the new DISers! Happy to see you here.

12/5-12/9 at the Sheraton with my DW. First trip without the kiddos

Oh, I love taking a trip to DLR without the kids. And during the Holidays, even better! Got you added.

My husband is having a school conference at the convention area. I will be going with him and a friend so my friend and I can visit the parks and hubby can join us later at the end of his conference days. Staying at Howard Johnson Dec 01-05 . Can't wait to try out the new GotG Ride and get some Carthay Circle Lounge beverages!

You should have a great time. My DH and now my adult kids love trying out the bar beverages at DLR. My I suggest Trader Sam's Tiki Bar at DLH. It is one of our favorites. You are added.

Nov 28-Dec 8 at Tropicana

We did this time frame in 2016 and loved it so much we decided to do it again this year!

Oh what fun you will have! But you jnow that already. :) Added to the list.

December 2-10 at the Fairfield Inn!

DH will finish his participation in a lengthy clinical trial for Mantle Cell Lymphoma in August, and we're hopeful he'll have enough of his energy back to really enjoy the parks this Christmas season. We are both so thankful that MaxPass will help cut back on running back and forth! This summer he'll work on his stamina by walking the trails in the national park (I need to, as well) so he'll be ready for the daily miles at Disneyland.

Wishing your DH a speedy recovering and lots of prays. Yes, MaxPass will help tremendously. And what a great plan for increasing his stamina. Got you added

December 3-8 at the Howard Johnson. First trip!

As mentioned above, it might be busy. I don't have much experience during the first half of Dec. I usually go during the last half lol. Last year, I was at DLR on the Sunday about 10 days from Christmas and the crowds were not bad. Even though that Sunday was the last day the Signature Passports could get in (the reason I was there). Got you added.

December 1 - 7 solo at GCH!

I think it is a great idea going solo to DLR. Especially during the Holidays. Added to the list.

December 5-9. But just an FYi for all those going the first week of December- it is a very busy week. I know a lot of people book the first week thinking it is not too bad- it used to be fairly quiet- but the last few years has been very busy. Only week I can go- so I still go- and will still have a great time- but have learned to expect crowds and plan accordingly. Part of the reason so busy that week is it is the last full week (not including the weekend) that the South Cal AP is valid.
As long as you go with the right mindset, you will still have a great time. But the last week of November tends to be much less busy. If I could go that week, I would.

I used to go that first week (as mentioned above, I go somewhat the week before Christmas). It used to be a great time to go. Thanks for the intel. Will prove to be invaluable to lots of folks. You are on the list.

Our park days are likely going to be...
Thursday 6th
Friday 7th
Monday 10th
Tuesday 11th
Wednesday 12th

(Or maybe we'd go on Saturday and not Monday??)

What do you think of those days? We will get Maxpass and likely DAS for our son so I'm not super concerned with wait times really. I'm more worried about the congested walkways since our son has autism, is a runner, and also doesn't do well with tight crowds.

I thought this week would be better than the last week of November since it rolls into the first week of December and the candlelight thing would be going on.
Off topic: have you heard of 4 paws for ability? They make service dogs that can track runners down.

"I used to go that first week (as mentioned above, I go somewhat the week before Christmas). It used to be a great time to go. Thanks for the intel. Will prove to be invaluable to lots of folks. You are on the list.[/QUOTE]"

Yeah, just looking at this current page, a lot of people seem to be going the first week. Like to give people a heads up-as it is much better if you are going in alizing it may be busy so you can plan accordingly, rather than assuming it will be quiet- and realizing later maybe you should have made some plans.

I for one am an over planner, starting already lol. It wasn't our original plan, the trip kept getting moved up, originally September 2019, then Jan or Feb 2019. The second I mentioned going at Christmas time my husband was sold, we considered different weeks but this one worked for us and other events we had to work around. So more crowds for us, but a happy husband. pixiedust:

December 5-9. But just an FYi for all those going the first week of December- it is a very busy week. I know a lot of people book the first week thinking it is not too bad- it used to be fairly quiet- but the last few years has been very busy. Only week I can go- so I still go- and will still have a great time- but have learned to expect crowds and plan accordingly. Part of the reason so busy that week is it is the last full week (not including the weekend) that the South Cal AP is valid.
As long as you go with the right mindset, you will still have a great time. But the last week of November tends to be much less busy. If I could go that week, I would.

I went the first week of December last year, and didn't think it was too bad. Mornings in particular were great - you have to get there when they open. And I definitely used FP and single rider lines when possible.

I know is this early!

I have a one bedroom booked for my family’s annual December trip to DLR. It seems so far away I thought starting this thread will help me with the wait.

Post your December dates and where you are staying and I will keep a list going here.

BijouBabe 11/28 to 12/08 The Tropicana
MikeRx 11/30 ti 12/04
DantePD 11/30 to 12/07 PPH
marvel 11/30 to 12/7 Hyatt Regency
Catvondita 12/01 to 12/05 Howard Johnson
siskaren 12/01 to 12/07 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort Area
Alby 12/01 to 12/07 GCH
Kittyskyfish 12/02 to 12/10 Fairfield Inn
drjackal31 12/03 to 12/08 Howard Johnson
millie0312 12/3 to 12/12 BWPPI
NNCRed 12/05 to 12/09 The Sheraton
ttig34 12/05 to 12/09
smartlabelprint 12/06 to 12/10 BWPPI
ClaraOswald 12/06 to 12/12 Desert Inn

Kauai4life 12/08 to 12/13 DIS
lwanthony 12/12 to 12/14 GCH
abent 12/13 to 12/17 PPH
DLmama 12/15 to 12/19 Anaheim Hotel
NewbieMouse 12/16 to 12/19 BWPPI

funatdisney 12/17 to 12/19 VGC
tink89 12/21 to 12/25 Marriott

Mickey&JoshNut 12/21 to 12/27 PPH
bandaidqueen 12/23 to 12/26 GCH
DisneyGirl0102 12/25 to 12/31 VGC
taaren 12/28 to 1/01 VGC
SGDisneyFam 12/30 to 1/02 GCH 1/02 to 1/04 ? (to be added at a alter time)
Hello. We are going to be in Park from 12/10-12/14. We are staying at Desert Inn and Suites.

Last edited:
We've been going in early December for years and it's not so much the lower crowds that motivate us, but the fact we need to see Christmas stuff in December (before Thanksgiving is too early) and going later means we're pushing up against Christmas week and another long trip at that time. We need some down time at the house between the two vacations!

It's definitely been busier than previous years but early December is still definitely doable with planning and emphasizing weekdays and mornings. I've noticed our trips are becoming longer to allow going at a casual pace. This year is NINE park days, our longest to date! We run around in the mornings then dine, bench sit and hit a few slow rides in the evening. Mid-days are for naps!

And however busy early December can be, it ain't late December. :duck:

It doesn't seem to be so bad around Candlelight with the exception of the actual weekend. The days before are normally some of the lighter of the Christmas season. I think Friday the 7th will be very busy, but hopefully the other days you should be able to navigate okay. If you are doing both parks, perhaps do California Adventure on Friday when it is busier at Disneyland- this is what we normally do.

What are your thoughts on Saturday vs. Monday? It seems like Mondays have been insane in recent years so I wonder if Saturday would actually be better because of some passes being blocked out.

Hello. We are going to be in Park from 12/10-12/14. We are staying at Desert Inn and Suites.

We overlap a few days with you at the same hotel. :)

I am on the list already staying at the Marriott but wanting to stay at DLH in 3 bedroom suite. So if anyone ends up canceling or switching dates to a suite please let me know!!!

What are your thoughts on Saturday vs. Monday? It seems like Mondays have been insane in recent years so I wonder if Saturday would actually be better because of some passes being blocked out.

Last year Saturday was the busiest day at the park of all of our days. I know Dance the Magic does the parade on Saturday- so that brings in a lot of dancers and their families. But I know what you are saying about Mondays, I know someone at Disneyland right now and she says that today-Monday- was busier than Saturday. So it is a crap shoot!

We overlap a few days with you at the same hotel. :)
Sunday’s seem better than Monday’s.

Sunday’s seem better than Monday’s.

In my experience, early Sunday mornings are ususally a good time to go, but it starts to get busy late morning. It doesn't seem what time of the year I go, Sunday mornings are lite. I'm guessing folks staying on property are too tired to get into the park earlier or are getting ready to check and eat breakfast before they hit the parks. Anyway, that's my take.

We just booked our trip to the Grand California for Dec. 2 to 6th! Taking two kids under 3 and both sets of grand parents! We can't wait!

Hmm....we can never make it over super early so Sunday probably wouldn't be best for us then. I wonder what Saturday would be like since more passes are blocked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!