December 2018 Check-in Thread

I went to DLR yesterday to check out the Halloween decor at both Parks. Cars Land has added a new Halloween decor and I thought they did a great job. It seems thre was more Halloween feel in DCA then DL.

After my visit yesterday, I am getting excited about Holidays and can't wait for my first visit to DLR when it is fully decorated for the Holidays. My next visit is planned for Nov 15 to attend the DVC Moonlight Magic event at DCA. The 15th can't come soon enough.

First post!

Booked Dec 12-16
Hyatt Regency

This will be both of my kids (2 and 6) first experience in any Disney park and my wife's first time to DLR. I haven't been in 15 years so I'm excited about what DCA has become.

Welcome! I am very honored you pick this thread to make your first post. You all will have a great time and you will enjoy experiencing your wife's and kids' first time at DLR. You have been added.

I am going to be in the parks November 26-30. I am super excited. This will be my first trip in 7 years. My evil villain, who is accompanying me hasn't been in 46 years.

I am not sure if there is November thread, but I say more the merrier is always best. Gotcha added.

My 64 y.o. mother and I are leaving adulting behind and hitting the parks on Dec 1 & 2. Staying at DI & S. This is my 2nd visit this year but when we booked a cruise out of Long Beach for our trip we just couldn't resist adding a few days before to visit Disney at Christmas. It's my favorite time to be in the park.

Sounds like a terrific plan. Disneyland and than a cruise. You should have a great time. You are added.

Last edited:
We haven't been during the holiday time since 2007 so I am excited about it. Just nervous for my 5 year old in the crowds. With Maxpass and DAS, that should help a lot of waiting in the queues. But waiting at bag check makes me nervous. And just maneuvering through dense crowds too.

We went last year and took our 6 year old niece who is not a fast walker or walker at all. We took her pace and we were able to do everything we wanted. We arrived at opening left when it got too busy/crowded used the pool and came back at night. When we hit crowds DH would grab her & I would grab DD10 and we would just meet somewhere after passing the crowds. Or we would go through the shops which is not a good idea with kids who want anything and everything

I think where it really gets crowded is Main st and in Adventure land and between star tours and Buzz everywhere else is open enough to where people are spread out. I guess not so much anymore by Star tours since I remember reading about them removing a planter.

We haven't been during the holiday time since 2007 so I am excited about it. Just nervous for my 5 year old in the crowds. With Maxpass and DAS, that should help a lot of waiting in the queues. But waiting at bag check makes me nervous. And just maneuvering through dense crowds too.
We kept our kids in their stroller and had bubble wands from target. That helped distract.

I’m not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but my husband and I are debating a last minute, quick trip to DL in mid December. We would fly in on a Thursday night, go to the parks Friday and Saturday (14th and 15th), and leave Sunday. We have only been to DL one other time and are desperate to return. I want to see it at Christmas, but I have a feeling next Christmas season we won’t be able to for different reasons. Ideally I wanted to go to the parks for three days, in the middle of the week, but unfortunately, my husband does not have any more vacation days. The weekend is our only option for this year.

So my question is—am I wasting my money? Will the crowds and wait times be unbearable, honestly? This would cost us total around $3500. We would be buying MaxPass. I know it’s a somewhat subjective question, but any insight would be great. Because if waiting would be the better option, we can. Hopefully next year would work out. Thank you in advance!

@BissyBobbitiBoo - $3,500. Less park tickets, that's about $2900 remaining for airfare and hotel, for a three-night stay. I've also been to DLR many times over that weekend you're planning, and expect thick crowds and overflow walkways to open up. It's not pleasant, but we tolerate it because our trips are 7-9 days long and we can relax when the park is crushed. I remember getting stuck (stuck!) for 30 minutes near the Matterhorn because of parade traffic congestion.

You will have two days to get your money's worth. Personally, I would not do it because I think you are overspending in airfare and hotel - for what you get. I would suggest planning in advance for next year, securing cheaper airfare and hotel, and get a lot more park time for the same dollar.

@BissyBobbitiBoo - $3,500. Less park tickets, that's about $2900 remaining for airfare and hotel, for a three-night stay. I've also been to DLR many times over that weekend you're planning, and expect thick crowds and overflow walkways to open up. It's not pleasant, but we tolerate it because our trips are 7-9 days long and we can relax when the park is crushed. I remember getting stuck (stuck!) for 30 minutes near the Matterhorn because of parade traffic congestion.

You will have two days to get your money's worth. Personally, I would not do it because I think you are overspending in airfare and hotel - for what you get. I would suggest planning in advance for next year, securing cheaper airfare and hotel, and get a lot more park time for the same dollar.

Thank you so much for your input! Sorry, I should have specified. That total was based on hotel, flights, PH tickets, maxpass, transportation to and from airport, and food/merch. Still a lot of money, but that would be the total for everything, not just hotel, flights, and tickets. But yeah I am going back and forth on doing it right by waiting, going for longer than 2 days, and going to the parks on a T, W, Th. We just may or may not have a baby by that point next year, which is why I was trying to squeeze it in this year. But if the parks are wall to wall crowds with obnoxious waits, it probably would be better to wait a year or two, I guess.

Thank you so much for your input! Sorry, I should have specified. That total was based on hotel, flights, PH tickets, maxpass, transportation to and from airport, and food/merch. Still a lot of money, but that would be the total for everything, not just hotel, flights, and tickets. But yeah I am going back and forth on doing it right by waiting, going for longer than 2 days, and going to the parks on a T, W, Th. We just may or may not have a baby by that point next year, which is why I was trying to squeeze it in this year. But if the parks are wall to wall crowds with obnoxious waits, it probably would be better to wait a year or two, I guess.
We have taken all our babies to the park. The younger the easier IME. Just get noise cancelling ear muffs on amazon. :) Can he get some vacation days in Jan? I think the holidays are until 1/9.

Yes. But I imagine DCA will be insanely crowded that night if that's the case. And we always end our visit at Disneyland so it's just a bummer since it will be quite a few years before we return (2024? 2025? Who knows.)
Bummer.

We were there in oct. One or two years ago. We were there on at least one party night and I don’t recall it impacting teh parks very much. Even after DL closed. I think we were at dca most of the day. I have seen others comments about busy dca so maybe it depends on the day or things have changed.

Yes. But I imagine DCA will be insanely crowded that night if that's the case. And we always end our visit at Disneyland so it's just a bummer since it will be quite a few years before we return (2024? 2025? Who knows.)

The other site must have been wrong because the official calendar has the park open until midnight on our last day and not 6am. Woohoo!!

I went to DLR yesterday with a friend. This friend and I go to DLR quite often but we don't go between Halloween and New Years Day. Our lives are too busy and we just never seem to crave out a day to go during this very busy time of the year. She wanted to to get a AP and had enough on her DV rewards card to get one. Off we go.

We got there in the afternoon and planned to stay until 8 pm (DCA closed at 8 and DL at 9). DLR is in the process of transititon to their Holiday decor. There are a few decorations up (mostly on Main Street) and the Main Street Tree has been installed. Main Street is decorated with garlands and bows, but the tree was the only object with its Christmas lights on in the park. It looked so lonely. You can hear Christmas music as you walk around the parks. My friend was so enthralled with the decor, she wants to go back. So last night we sat down with a Starbucks coffee and set a date. Dec 4 is in the books for a day trip to DLR! Never can get enough of DLR during the Holidays, I say.

My family is going next week on the 15th. The Parks will be fully decorated for the Holidays by then. I can't wait.

We have booked for another New Years Eve at DLR! Dec 29 - Jan 3. Red Lion Inn. This will be our second NYE at DLR.

What a great way to bring in the New Year! I have added your info to the list.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter