December 2017 Car Rental Watch

FYI- I've been checking daily, and prices for my dates the first week in December keep going up and are crazy! I finally bit the bullet tonight and booked with Hotwire, using a coupon BEEPBEEP for an extra $10 off. I ended up getting Hertz, which we've never used but it gets good ratings in the UG. I paid $173.12 for a compact, Dec 2-9. I just signed us up for the Hertz Gold Plus rewards, but not sure if it will help us with this trip since it was booked through Hotwire. Any advice or tips from Hertz users that will be helpful to a first time Hertz renter?? Thanks all!

FYI- I've been checking daily, and prices for my dates the first week in December keep going up and are crazy! I finally bit the bullet tonight and booked with Hotwire, using a coupon BEEPBEEP for an extra $10 off. I ended up getting Hertz, which we've never used but it gets good ratings in the UG. I paid $173.12 for a compact, Dec 2-9. I just signed us up for the Hertz Gold Plus rewards, but not sure if it will help us with this trip since it was booked through Hotwire. Any advice or tips from Hertz users that will be helpful to a first time Hertz renter?? Thanks all!

Hertz is a good company but heavily try to push you into upgrading. They also don't let you pick your car so that is kind of a bummer to me. Hertz also usually holds a big amount on cards also.

I have a mini van for Dec 7th to Dec 14 for $225. We had to add a toddler seat so total is $301. I have never paid that much for one of my trips and only paid 125 last year for a 10 trip in November but if thats the best I can do then I will be satisfied.

Hertz is a good company but heavily try to push you into upgrading. They also don't let you pick your car so that is kind of a bummer to me. Hertz also usually holds a big amount on cards also.
Interesting. I hope that since this is prepaid, they won't be pushy about upgrades!

Interesting. I hope that since this is prepaid, they won't be pushy about upgrades!

All of my dealings with Hertz has been prepaid from either Hotwire or Priceline. There favorite thing to do is say you won't have enough room.

All of my dealings with Hertz has been prepaid from either Hotwire or Priceline. There favorite thing to do is say you won't have enough room.
I'm glad you are preparing me for this! I don't like pressure. Knowing it's probably coming, I'll be able to say NO very easily! Thanks:)

I'm glad you are preparing me for this! I don't like pressure. Knowing it's probably coming, I'll be able to say NO very easily! Thanks:)

No problem. I have not had Hertz in Orlando but I had them in Arizona on a prepaid from Priceline and they didn't have live people there and instead had a phone with a video chat to do your reservation. They told me that I should upgrade to a full size car from a standard car because I would only have 2 doors. I went a head and upgrade because I hate a 2 door car and the charged me $100 to upgrade. Got to the car and it was a 2 door Challenger. Loved the car but again didn't want a 2 door car. Had to go back and got the money refunded and given a full size car. It was a frustrating experience and after being in line for 2 hours long we missed our Spring Training baseball game because of it.

No problem. I have not had Hertz in Orlando but I had them in Arizona on a prepaid from Priceline and they didn't have live people there and instead had a phone with a video chat to do your reservation. They told me that I should upgrade to a full size car from a standard car because I would only have 2 doors. I went a head and upgrade because I hate a 2 door car and the charged me $100 to upgrade. Got to the car and it was a 2 door Challenger. Loved the car but again didn't want a 2 door car. Had to go back and got the money refunded and given a full size car. It was a frustrating experience and after being in line for 2 hours long we missed our Spring Training baseball game because of it.
Did you originally book a Standard sized car? They are often 2-door cars. If you don’t like 2-door cars you should avoid that class of Car in the future.

Did you originally book a Standard sized car? They are often 2-door cars. If you don’t like 2-door cars you should avoid that class of Car in the future.

Yes I did. First and last time I made that mistake

I thought standard usually meant 4-door. I guess it’s always good to just double-check the description.

I thought standard usually meant 4-door. I guess it’s always good to just double-check the description.

most places for me have had no real standard section and I always got full size but for some reason hertz seems to be the exception for it

Just checked the Alamo minivan rates for 12/2 to 12/11 using the AP contract code. The rates actually dropped! Down to $435. Will continue to watch. I actually have a ressie made back in April for $335. Won't give that one up unless rates REALLY drop. Would love to get it down to $300. At least there is movement downward.

Does anyone know which companies don't charge for an additional driver? I managed to get a 15% discount with Dollar, but then I can't find where to add it, and how much it is for one additional driver. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know which companies don't charge for an additional driver? I managed to get a 15% discount with Dollar, but then I can't find where to add it, and how much it is for one additional driver. Any help would be appreciated.
I googled it and Avis, Budget and Enterprise allow spouses to drive for free. National does as well but only if you're a member of the Emerald Club.

If the rate is too good, we just have one person drive. The other does drive in a pinch but we are aware that there would be a problem if there was an accident and the non-authorized person was driving.

I googled it and Avis, Budget and Enterprise allow spouses to drive for free. National does as well but only if you're a member of the Emerald Club.

If the rate is too good, we just have one person drive. The other does drive in a pinch but we are aware that there would be a problem if there was an accident and the non-authorized person was driving.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we are not spouses, and we don't all go out together all the time, someone stays in babysitting while the others go out, so we have two drivers. We'll be there 9th-26th December so trying to save money wherever we can.

We usually go through Alamo because they let you pick your own car, you can skip the counter, and a lot of times they have better cars than what you paid for in the row you’re allowed to choose from. I stumbled across this link on Groupon for $25 off rentals with a base price of $175+. We booked a midsize SUV for $237 from 12/8-12/16. We would’ve preferred a smaller car, but that was the cheapest one for some reason. Hopefully it’s not that much different than driving a compact? We’re used to city driving with small cars so we’re a little nervous. Haha

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/deals/deals-details/featured/25-Off-Any-Size-Car.html

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we are not spouses, and we don't all go out together all the time, someone stays in babysitting while the others go out, so we have two drivers. We'll be there 9th-26th December so trying to save money wherever we can.
Your signature says you are staying at a WDW resort. Do you really need a car the whole time? Maybe you can save money by cutting back on the days that you get a car.

I also think the whole "spouse" thing is a little fluid. I found mention of "spouse or domestic partner" but I'm not sure the later is still valid now that everyone can marry anyone else. I would start with the ones that I mentioned and search their websites or call customer service to see if your situation fits.

Your signature says you are staying at a WDW resort. Do you really need a car the whole time? Maybe you can save money by cutting back on the days that you get a car.

I also think the whole "spouse" thing is a little fluid. I found mention of "spouse or domestic partner" but I'm not sure the later is still valid now that everyone can marry anyone else. I would start with the ones that I mentioned and search their websites or call customer service to see if your situation fits.
Unfortunately we have someone in the party with sensory and queuing issues so can't ride the bus so always need a car. I will check out what you've said though as we the opposite sex so could be common law spouses :ssst:

I will check out what you've said though as we the opposite sex so could be common law spouses :ssst:
Gender doesn't matter here anymore :). I think perhaps you may just have to share an address to qualify as a spouse/partner. My last name is different than my DH's and I've never had to provide any proof. IIRC, you're also from the UK so that might also throw a monkey wrench into things.

Just checked the Alamo minivan rates for 12/2 to 12/11 using the AP contract code. The rates actually dropped! Down to $435. Will continue to watch. I actually have a ressie made back in April for $335. Won't give that one up unless rates REALLY drop. Would love to get it down to $300. At least there is movement downward.

There are lots of reports of people getting vans in the full size aisle at MCO lately. I have booked a standard car (no aisle at MCO) and we plan to go check the aisle prior to going to the front desk and seeing if there is vans in that aisle. If so I will take the cheaper of my reservations. I have a van reserved for $225 for Dec 7th to Dec 14th. So for us we will go with what ever is cheaper. I also get a free additional driver because I book through Costco. Costco prices have been better than any I have found.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts