Dec 2020 - curious about what people think will happen...

I don't think you're being a downer, you're just being realistic. I think there will be a second wave and I think we'll see it this fall, although I hope I'm wrong. The closest comparison to covid is the Spanish flu in 1918. In total it lasted a year and there were three waves, with the second wave being worse than the first. Although I'm not sure how much worse it could be. I'm a nurse and I wear a mask everyday at work to protect others and myself. The last place I want to wear one is at Disney much as I love it. So I think I'll wait until next year and see how things are then.

We were supposed to go to Disneyland in a couple of weeks as part of our anniversary trip. We have Canadian discount tickets. I'm just thankful that they're now valid until December 2021. So Ray, you're not a downer. You're just concerned like the rest of us. We'll get there again.

Hi, nat1234

Awww...thank you.

I usually renew my annual pass when I arrive in December. So if I can go I won't have to renew mine either.

And I'm a retired R.R.T. and I love my Nurses.

We have done 3 out of the last 4 Xmas/NYE at Disney, so fortunately, we did not book a Dec trip this year. We were planning our very first summer trip for July but that obviously won't happen. Maybe a blessing in disguise, as we have always avoided summer in FL and prefer Disneyland instead due to the lack of humidity there. At the moment, we are planning for next July and Dec.

I think the border will be open well before Dec. The only unknown is whether there will be a huge second wave, leading to another lockdown. I'm pretty certain there will be a 2nd wave, but not sure about another lockdown. I guess that depends on the numbers infected.

What I do know is that we likely won't go if there are no parades/fireworks. I'm not spending >$10K per trip to have a half-a##ed Disney vacation.

My biggest worry for a December trip would be the 14-day quarantine upon return but more importantly insurances! I have big doubts that insurance companies will cover ANY medical expense linked to COVID-19 for a long time! Personally, we won’t travel outside our province if we are not fully covered. Especially not at a super crowded place in a period when the second wave is highly probable.

We booked Christmas as a backup trip and were going to move discovery cove to Xmas And Disney to Easter/spring . But not feeling confident in Christmas either right now and finding a time now that the two older kids are starting college and grade 9 in the fall makes it a million times harder

We have done 3 out of the last 4 Xmas/NYE at Disney, so fortunately, we did not book a Dec trip this year. We were planning our very first summer trip for July but that obviously won't happen. Maybe a blessing in disguise, as we have always avoided summer in FL and prefer Disneyland instead due to the lack of humidity there. At the moment, we are planning for next July and Dec.

I think the border will be open well before Dec. The only unknown is whether there will be a huge second wave, leading to another lockdown. I'm pretty certain there will be a 2nd wave, but not sure about another lockdown. I guess that depends on the numbers infected.

What I do know is that we likely won't go if there are no parades/fireworks. I'm not spending >$10K per trip to have a half-a##ed Disney vacation.
As I have said many times, there is a lot of other parks to visit that cost much less.

Thanks to all who have responded. This has been so sadly catastrophic on both sides of the border. So sorry for all who have lost someone in their lives to this or had someone suffer dealing with symptoms or side effects from this ---posting about a trip seems so trite but I really hope by December that things will be much better controlled and the damage and loss is over --- and trips resume.

I'm guessing that we'll still go in December as long as cases are under control and the quarantine period isn't required on either side --- that really is the deal breaker for us (and assuming our airline flights are still a go and the border is open.) We'll wear face masks, social distance, use WAY TOO MUCH hand sanitizer constantly, bring MANY sanitizing wipes and all manner of cleaners to make sure the room is clean (sadly not really something new for us), bring disposable cups, plates, etc and do breakfasts in the room, order from a grocery delivery and be careful about the choices we make overall.. (We'll rent a car and drive to the resorts/parks/DS, if we can decline housekeeping we will (I trust my cleaning way more anyway.) Will be so sad if there are no fireworks/shows/parties --- but I think that lack of entertainment may actually break our WDW addiction of going yearly --- maybe a good thing so I guess we'll see. I think we'll plan to do the trip as of now... book our ADR's later next month (although I think this may affect our choices in that regard) and hope for the best.

Last edited:
You won't be able to book your ADR's until 60 days before your trip, they posted that until the end of the year all are cancelled and people will have to rebook them at 60 days out. Also, no dining plans (which I think is stupid of them) and no FP. You will have to choose which park you want to be in which day and make reservations for that. Which to me sounds like no park hopping? Not quite clear on that though.

There was an article that DIS posted with the details, you may want to have a look?

You won't be able to book your ADR's until 60 days before your trip, they posted that until the end of the year all are cancelled and people will have to rebook them at 60 days out. Also, no dining plans (which I think is stupid of them) and no FP. You will have to choose which park you want to be in which day and make reservations for that. Which to me sounds like no park hopping? Not quite clear on that though.

There was an article that DIS posted with the details, you may want to have a look?

Actually I get why no dining plan. I’m pretty sure they will not be having and buffets or character meals. And other table service locations will be limited when they open (limited capacity). So it wouldn’t be right for them to charge people for a dining plan that they can’t use the way it’s intended (table service credits).

Actually I get why no dining plan. I’m pretty sure they will not be having and buffets or character meals. And other table service locations will be limited when they open (limited capacity). So it wouldn’t be right for them to charge people for a dining plan that they can’t use the way it’s intended (table service credits).

Oh I understand for the most part, but they are also pushing the mobile ordering which you can only do with a credit card or dining plan credits, and you can't charge to the room. I prefer being able to use the QS credits so I don't have multiple charges on my card each day to keep track of, and hope they aren'g pending for ages since sometimes my CC holds both the pending and the actual charge, it can take a week for the pending's to drop off. Maybe that's just my card, I don't know. Plus I prefer to use gift cards to pay for the dining plan in advance to save on exchange rate fees. Any way, it's a little thing to me. And I do get not wanting to get the one with table service when there may not be many of those "worth" the cost.

Oh I understand for the most part, but they are also pushing the mobile ordering which you can only do with a credit card or dining plan credits, and you can't charge to the room. I prefer being able to use the QS credits so I don't have multiple charges on my card each day to keep track of, and hope they aren'g pending for ages since sometimes my CC holds both the pending and the actual charge, it can take a week for the pending's to drop off. Maybe that's just my card, I don't know. Plus I prefer to use gift cards to pay for the dining plan in advance to save on exchange rate fees. Any way, it's a little thing to me. And I do get not wanting to get the one with table service when there may not be many of those "worth" the cost.

I read somewhere they are adding to how you can pay for mobile order. So you would be able to use gift cards. But I don’t remember where I read that.

All the experts are saying that there will be a second wave and based on educated guesses it will be in the fall. I take that as the known info....the unknown is how will it be handled? The only other known info....no one knows anything for sure.

Personally, I don't think that I will travel again until the risks are in the same range as the common cold. That absolutely kills me to think that way. I work in long term care and it's difficult on a good day so having a vacation to plan is always my happy place.

So I just got the email in the past couple of hours about my Christmas reservation --- so really I wasn't sure this stuff would still be in place then ... At this point I'm pretty much on the fence still about cancelling the whole thing. Glad I don't have to do ADR's at 6 months since it still seems so iffy that things will happen.... we definitely hope things are well in hand by Dec but we're still waiting to see how things evolve.

We'd still go over at Christmas as long as we knew a few things:
1/ That there won't be a quarantine period once we arrive in Orlando or once we return home to Ottawa.
2/ would hate to see (and be super sad) about loss of Fireworks/shows/parties (especially since we have a CP TPV room booked for part of the trip --- if fireworks aren't available we'd definitely switch to a cheaper room), parades, etc... but it would be a trade off if the crowds in the parks were reduced so significantly to accommodate social distancing.
3/ existing bookings have priority for parks and dining. If this isn't the case we'll cancel in a minute and never be back. They had our money for months if you want to take away that advantage it should mean something.
4/ The pick a park thing renders all park hoppers not worth is... I would hope they'll refund the money we paid for that.
5/ For December we're totally willing to do the mask thing but want make sure that for photos, etc... they come up with a protocol that keeps things safe enough so Memory Maker Photos can still occur without masks.

I hope the US and Canada are both at the point where transmission has been curtailed to the point where this can be a non-issue. Nobody wants to be responsible for spreading this stuff so I guess while we hope things in December will be okay --- but I think we'll decide in October-ish.

So I just got the email in the past couple of hours about my Christmas reservation --- so really I wasn't sure this stuff would still be in place then ... At this point I'm pretty much on the fence still about cancelling the whole thing. Glad I don't have to do ADR's at 6 months since it still seems so iffy that things will happen.... we definitely hope things are well in hand by Dec but we're still waiting to see how things evolve.

We'd still go over at Christmas as long as we knew a few things:
1/ That there won't be a quarantine period once we arrive in Orlando or once we return home to Ottawa.
2/ would hate to see (and be super sad) about loss of Fireworks/shows/parties (especially since we have a CP TPV room booked for part of the trip --- if fireworks aren't available we'd definitely switch to a cheaper room), parades, etc... but it would be a trade off if the crowds in the parks were reduced so significantly to accommodate social distancing.
3/ existing bookings have priority for parks and dining. If this isn't the case we'll cancel in a minute and never be back. They had our money for months if you want to take away that advantage it should mean something.
4/ The pick a park thing renders all park hoppers not worth is... I would hope they'll refund the money we paid for that.
5/ For December we're totally willing to do the mask thing but want make sure that for photos, etc... they come up with a protocol that keeps things safe enough so Memory Maker Photos can still occur without masks.

I hope the US and Canada are both at the point where transmission has been curtailed to the point where this can be a non-issue. Nobody wants to be responsible for spreading this stuff so I guess while we hope things in December will be okay --- but I think we'll decide in October-ish.
From reading other threads and news that has been posted that if you don't have tickets yet you will probably be out of luck in guaranteeing entry to a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter