Debt Dumpers 2020

Here’s my check in:
-The new French doors to the patio look amazing and have been paid for
-The new front door and sidelites have totally changed the look of the house as you come up around the curve of the driveway and have been paid for
-The solar panels are well worth it, especially now that I’m working from home and my girls are doing full time remote learning
-We took on an unexpected project this summer and decided to finish off part of our basement so we raided our savings and pulled together a big lounge space that holds all of the kids’ American Girl dolls and the DIY AG dollhouse and a massive sectional that used to be in the playroom. We also created a separate 10x10 classroom workspace for the girls.
-I sold the beach house that used to be my little bungalow before my husband and I got married. We are taking on the last big projects for our house with that money: 18x16 sunroom and 70 ft long front porch. Fingers crossed this project is done in time for Christmas! This will be paid for from the proceeds from selling the house.
-DVC contract remaining on the credit card at 0% is getting closer but should have been fully paid off already. Life got in the way with the basement project and derailed my plans a bit. But I’m still aiming for December as the payoff. The card is 0% until 5/2021 but I just want it paid off ASAP.
-Oh and I’m done Christmas shopping so that should help me avoid spending extra money.
sounds like plans went smoothly, and your house improvements also sound amazing.
Plugging along here. was planning on paying a big chunk on debt with overtime money this check but spent some of it stocking up on baking supplies and other pantry staples for the winter. Still paid extra on the debt just not as much as we were planning on.
I'm about to do the same, that is stock up on pantry items.

Paying extra payments on the car this year has got it so far down, where I'm just going to go ahead, move from savings and pay the rest off next month after this month's payment pulls. Also, doing a few days at WDW this December. That was not planned, talked about it this weekend, and decided to do it. Have the airmiles and the tickets already from our last cancelled trip in April. The remainder portion of those tickets, since we won't use all the days in Dec., will use in March if we still go, if not have to use by Sep, so there is time.

@pblack did you decide what to do in place of the cancelled cruise?

sounds like plans went smoothly, and your house improvements also sound amazing.

I'm about to do the same, that is stock up on pantry items.

Paying extra payments on the car this year has got it so far down, where I'm just going to go ahead, move from savings and pay the rest off next month after this month's payment pulls. Also, doing a few days at WDW this December. That was not planned, talked about it this weekend, and decided to do it. Have the airmiles and the tickets already from our last cancelled trip in April. The remainder portion of those tickets, since we won't use all the days in Dec., will use in March if we still go, if not have to use by Sep, so there is time.

@pblack did you decide what to do in place of the cancelled cruise?

I have heard that baking items and pumpkin are going to be hard to come by this year. My friend and I do a huge Christmas baking day so I have been slowly stocking up on items we need. Thursday I went grocery shopping and was not able to find Libby pumpkin anywhere. Friday my husband and I went to the other grocery stores in our area and still couldn't find any! We went to Fleet and Farm and were able to find it so I stocked up but then I was paranoid about other things so I bought a bunch of nuts and chocolate chips too!

I have heard that baking items and pumpkin are going to be hard to come by this year. My friend and I do a huge Christmas baking day so I have been slowly stocking up on items we need. Thursday I went grocery shopping and was not able to find Libby pumpkin anywhere. Friday my husband and I went to the other grocery stores in our area and still couldn't find any! We went to Fleet and Farm and were able to find it so I stocked up but then I was paranoid about other things so I bought a bunch of nuts and chocolate chips too!
funny, I just read about pumpkin as a hot item to find also! Not sure what the deal is with pumpkin, the crop itself, the midwest El Derecho storm, or the transport? Maybe a bit of everything. I'm not currently looking for it, just funny that it's another time I've read about it being on the desired list. Now I'll be curious to look next time I go to the grocery store to see if it's on the shelf.

... but spent some of it stocking up on baking supplies and other pantry staples for the winter.
Have also heard the same thing. I don't want another shortage of things, but so goes life with Covid. :( Suppose I should go grab sugar and flour and stick it in the pantry.

**Edit** If you have an Instapot, you can make your own pumpkin filling. I haven't (I'm allergic to pumpkin) but my friend said it was pretty easy and tasty.

@jen7233 we haven't fully decided on our November plans, but we're currently talking about doing a road trip and hitting up Vegas for a few days, then over to SoCal so we can go to downtown Disney. After that we'll probably make a stop in Santa Barbara/Solvang, and then either head home or make one more stop in Monterey/Carmel before heading home.

I can attest that there is something going on with canned pumpkin. I wanted to make pumpkin pie (I make it without cinnamon) but I've looked at numerous different stores and can't find it anywhere. It's annoying. I saw pumpkin pie pumpkins at Costco yesterday and I'm debating going back to get them. I've only made pie from scratch scratch, with actual pumpkin, once and I wasnt a fan of the way it came out. I may need to look into the instant pot recipe and go borrow my in-laws.

Have also heard the same thing. I don't want another shortage of things, but so goes life with Covid. :( Suppose I should go grab sugar and flour and stick it in the pantry.

**Edit** If you have an Instapot, you can make your own pumpkin filling. I haven't (I'm allergic to pumpkin) but my friend said it was pretty easy and tasty.

I just bought a Instapot on Thursday! I got the Disney one at Walmart!

nice little surprise in the mailbox today. one of those 'you have been identified as a member of a class action lawsuit' postcards finally paid more than a couple of bucks. got a check for a little over $100 from something to do with countrywide mortgages and some shenanigans they pulled back in 2007 when we bought our current home. into savings it goes :thumbsup2 (let it be noted-i'm still waiting for my nintendo check dating back to the 80's on their class action lawsuit:rotfl:)

I heard the same about baking supplies and pumpkin. I’ve slowly been buying some baking supplies but I also know that I don’t want tons of baking items around because then I’ll make them and eat them!

I just bought a Instapot on Thursday! I got the Disney one at Walmart!
I hate pumpkin so no worries there, but I love to bake. I got a hand-me-down instapot from a friend and know how to make exactly three things in it. Actually made one last night, a chicken/black bean/rice "burrito bowl." Trying to find more recipes to try. I made a pasta dish in there one time and it ended up taking more prep time than if I just did it on the stove. So that was a no-repeater and I am down to making two dishes in it, lol.

I hate pumpkin so no worries there, but I love to bake. I got a hand-me-down instapot from a friend and know how to make exactly three things in it. Actually made one last night, a chicken/black bean/rice "burrito bowl." Trying to find more recipes to try. I made a pasta dish in there one time and it ended up taking more prep time than if I just did it on the stove. So that was a no-repeater and I am down to making two dishes in it, lol.

I have made two things in mine so far and have two more scheduled this week. I am looking at different recipes online to see what sounds good. Most of my friends have had theirs for a while so they have shared recipes they actually made that are good.

I have an instant pot and to be honest, I'm not really a fan..it seems to take so long to get cooking that I might as well have done it on the stove etc

I have an instant pot and to be honest, I'm not really a fan..it seems to take so long to get cooking that I might as well have done it on the stove etc

I use mine for stews. I actually save time using it for them. The rest take too long because it takes a while to pressurize.

I agree with this. I don't own one, but i've used my in-laws a few times to see if it was something I wanted to buy myself and I'm definitely happy with borrowing theirs if I want to try a recipe in it. I did pulled chicken in it, which did come out pretty good, but that's not something I make very often. I also did a pot roast in it and I much prefer a pot roast cooked in a crockpot.

I agree with this. I don't own one, but i've used my in-laws a few times to see if it was something I wanted to buy myself and I'm definitely happy with borrowing theirs if I want to try a recipe in it. I did pulled chicken in it, which did come out pretty good, but that's not something I make very often. I also did a pot roast in it and I much prefer a pot roast cooked in a crockpot.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's going to go (get sold etc) in my next kitchen purge...

I just sold my InstantPot on FB Marketplace. It took too long to pressurize and I felt like all I ever cooked in there were stews/soups which I can just use my crockpot for. Plus, I used it so infrequently that I always had to re-read the manual and then I was still uncertain if I was doing it right. Glad to have it gone. It was a BIG honkin' thing!

I just sold my InstantPot on FB Marketplace. It took too long to pressurize and I felt like all I ever cooked in there were stews/soups which I can just use my crockpot for. Plus, I used it so infrequently that I always had to re-read the manual and then I was still uncertain if I was doing it right. Glad to have it gone. It was a BIG honkin' thing!

Yes, that's what I feel too! Yes the chicken breasts only take x minutes from frozen, once it starts cooking, but it was taking ages and ages to actually start cooking!

Yes, that's what I feel too! Yes the chicken breasts only take x minutes from frozen, once it starts cooking, but it was taking ages and ages to actually start cooking!
TBH, I've used crockpots for years and prefer those. However, my DH thinks he's quite the chef with the InstaPot, so I let him cook in it. And the chicken comes out much more moist. But you'll never pry my crockpots away from me. :rotfl2:

We use both the Insta pot and crock pot. I do hard boiled eggs in it every sunday, it's just easier and doesn't take long. We have a pasta dump recipe we like in it that's easier because it all goes in at once. We do chicken in it, either on its own or marinate it in taco seasoning first and then cooking. It's quicker than baking in the oven.

I did try brownies in the silicone egg thing and they are ok. No edges which I like but there's fewer brownies because they are bigger out of the thing.

I don't find it as useful if you have to cook one thing, take it out and then cook the rest but it's good for some stuff. We use the crock pot just as much though but some of those require browning ground beef or something before too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter