Debt Dumpers 2020

I only choose UPS when offered because it's closer to me than Kohls. If they were equidistant I'd choose UPS for the shorter line and no temptation to shop.
I wonder how much Kohls sales have increased since they began accepting returns for Amazon.
I'd think it was beneficial for their sales, brings people in. Or will we find out they didn't manage their finances one day like Toys R Us? For me, I'm not tempted. I like Kohl's, but I really hate shopping! It's more convenient to me, for parking-to-door and they have more staff working the counter usually on the returns. I suppose lines can be relative though, never know what you can encounter in a trip to UPS or Kohl's!

Ever notice the sales at advertised in store are sometimes a worse deal than what you can get online with them?

I'd think it was beneficial for their sales, brings people in. Or will we find out they didn't manage their finances one day like Toys R Us? For me, I'm not tempted. I like Kohl's, but I really hate shopping! It's more convenient to me, for parking-to-door and they have more staff working the counter usually on the returns. I suppose lines can be relative though, never know what you can encounter in a trip to UPS or Kohl's!

Ever notice the sales at advertised in store are sometimes a worse deal than what you can get online with them?

Toys R Us went under because PE firms put way too much debt on its balance sheet, not because parents didn’t take their kids there to buy toys. The toy companies are still suffering post their closing.

What would I even buy at Kohl’s?

Last edited:
Regarding the customer service people from other countries...you can request that you speak to someone in the United States and they have to switch you over to someone in the US (for our economy) versus someone from Mexico or the Philippines that you might have trouble understanding. You are usually put on hold but eventually, you get to someone from the United States. Just an FYI!

Toys R Us went under because PE firms out way too much debt on its balance sheet, not because parents didn’t take their kids there to buy toys. The toy companies are still suffering post their closing.

I know that about TRU, I followed the reports as they came out about their failure. That's why I said they didn't manage their finances. My kids miss looking in there.

Hi everyone,
I don't think I've posted on this new thread yet but I've been reading. The new year is starting out well for us. I got a promotion at work to reflect some of the additional things I've taken on lately. So that was nice. Came with a small raise, which we are putting right into retirement since we've had to cut back on those contributions to pay college tuition. DS16 had his wisdom teeth out, so that was a big-ish expense, plus we're starting the whole college board testing and college visiting again so that's some added expense. All doable though. Knock on wood, the dryer is still working, lol. DH bought me (us) tickets to see Journey this summer, and I am so excited. Turns out Jimmy Buffett is going to be at the same venue the night before and we've never seen him, so we got tickets to that and reserved a hotel. It's about an hour away but we'll make a weekend of it. So now I've got something to look forward to, just wish it wasn't quite so far away. Hope everyone is doing well!

That sounds amazing! DCL is on my bucket list. They are just soooooo expensive. But eventually I'll bite the bullet and pay the price. I hope you'll post some pics when you get back!
Agree. We used to go on DCL but they are insanely expensive now.

Toys R Us went under because PE firms put way too much debt on its balance sheet, not because parents didn’t take their kids there to buy toys. The toy companies are still suffering post their closing.

Have you never been in a Kohls? It's a lot like Target except more clothing and less other stuff. Mostly clothing, small appliances, home goods.
Some name brand clothes like Levi's and Nike but not designer stuff like department stores would carry.

So excited I paid off our cruise in June and sent an extra $3000 to my car. As long as everything stays the course I will have my car paid for by end of March!! DD has her driver's test today and I really want her to pass but I really don't want to add her to our insurance. LOL At least she is a girl and is an honor student. She will be cheaper then the boys were.

So excited I paid off our cruise in June and sent an extra $3000 to my car. As long as everything stays the course I will have my car paid for by end of March!! DD has her driver's test today and I really want her to pass but I really don't want to add her to our insurance. LOL At least she is a girl and is an honor student. She will be cheaper then the boys were.
That's great! What cruise line again? Is this going to be an early payoff for the car or is it on schedule?
Teen driving, adds a whole new aspect to the teen years! :)

I recently recertified my income and employment for student loans and checked this morning and saw I am now up to 56 qualified PSLF payments!! Haven't gotten back my new student loan payment since it says that won't be processed until my February bill generates. I think it should go up about $20 to $300 per month.

Budget is going pretty well this month. Only big purchase was buying three tickets to go see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in concert next month. I've done pretty well on eating out this month. I did take my mom out to dinner for her birthday yesterday, and I am going out with a coworker today. DH traveled for work all week this week and will also be gone all week next week. So no food costs or gas costs for him. Plus, I get to drive his new car while he's gone 8-)

Oooh and I just saw that the $250 check from my work for my travel in November is in the mail today! While this is money owed to me for my gas and parking expenses for my conference, I was actually able to eat cheaply enough while I was there to cover all my expenses with my original per diem/hotel reimbursement check. So the $250 is basically pure profit for me :flower1:

I recently recertified my income and employment for student loans and checked this morning and saw I am now up to 56 qualified PSLF payments!! Haven't gotten back my new student loan payment since it says that won't be processed until my February bill generates. I think it should go up about $20 to $300 per month.

Budget is going pretty well this month. Only big purchase was buying three tickets to go see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in concert next month. I've done pretty well on eating out this month. I did take my mom out to dinner for her birthday yesterday, and I am going out with a coworker today. DH traveled for work all week this week and will also be gone all week next week. So no food costs or gas costs for him. Plus, I get to drive his new car while he's gone 8-)

I am realllly not looking forward to recertifying my income in May. It’ll go up quite a bit due to a promotion.

In other news, I’m petitioning work to try and get my ARDC fees reimbursed. We aren’t technically required to be active and in good standing, but sales does use the fact that we are staffed by attorneys as a selling point. It’s currently with one of our Department heads, so fingers crossed!

I finally have some good or goodish news.

My current SO was notified yesterday that his re-certification for SSDI was approved. So, beginning the first week in February, he will not only begin receiving his income, but should also get a nice settlement for the couple of years it took to go through the process during which he was not getting anything. That will definitely help out.

On my personal side, I'm still waiting to get scheduled for my x-rays, but they should be scheduled the last week of January. Once those are done, it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks for the VA to have the examiners write-up and diagnosis, and the VA should have a decision in about 30 days. So, I'm looking at about 60 days or less until I know something for me - whether good news or time to start filing appeals. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

We are cruising on Royal to Bermuda, San Juan, and Labadee. This is early payoff for my car. I bought it at the end of 2018 - brand new Chevy Traverse, never again!
I liked the Traverse, I really considered it in my top choices between Traverse, Pilot, Acadia, Highlander, Odyssey, and Sienna. I previously had an Acadia. Way to go on paying off car early! I got mine maybe around the same time Oct 2018 with 4 year loan at 1.9%.

On my personal side, I'm still waiting to get scheduled for my x-rays, but they should be scheduled the last week of January. Once those are done, it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks for the VA to have the examiners write-up and diagnosis, and the VA should have a decision in about 30 days. So, I'm looking at about 60 days or less until I know something for me - whether good news or time to start filing appeals. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sounds like they are moving right along.

My bff, her husband, and my goddaughter left this morning to head home. 😭😭 we has a good couple days, but I'm still sad to see them go. Crazy to think the next time we see them our goddaughter will probably be at least a year old. (Shes currently 5 months.) We spent about $200 on food while they were here which is about on par with what I thought we'd spend so at least our budget isn't busted. We were also able to take them to see the snow (first time for the baby). All in all it was a good few days.

My current SO was notified yesterday that his re-certification for SSDI was approved. So, beginning the first week in February, he will not only begin receiving his income, but should also get a nice settlement for the couple of years it took to go through the process during which he was not getting anything. That will definitely help out.

congrats to your SO. since tax time is upon us i thought i would mention this to pass on to your SO-when it comes time to do his 2020 taxes in 2021 suggest that he consider research a rule the irs has for had in the past pertaining to retroactive ssDI payments. if it's still in effect your SO has the choice of either reporting it in it's entirety for 2020 OR looking to see if it would be less of a tax hit to amend the returns for the years, had the income been received timely it would have been received in. we used this rule several years ago to avoid a big tax hit and a friend we clued in on it used it as recently as a couple of years ago to do the same.

was his medicare cancelled for the entire period of time he was appealing? if so-if he has any desire to do something other than traditional medicare like an advantage program he might want to contact medicare to find out what his window of opportunity will be. sometimes the clock starts ticking on that window before you actualy get the new medicare card in hand so it's worthwhile to research your options (we recently changed from traditional to an advantage plan and so far so good).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter