Debt Dumpers - 2019

Ugh...DH just sent me a link to the new Lego Disney Train set and of course we NEED to buy it on Sept 1. Budget busted!

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/disney-train-and-station-71044
Gonna need to shift the budget around a bit, but there is no way we aren't buying this. It will look amazing under our Christmas tree this year with our Disney castle in the background!

This is why we can't seem to get ahead. LOL. Lego is an expensive hobby...

But, it helps that we are only renewing 3 Disneyland APs this month rather than 4, and I have decided to just keep doing the monthly payment option.. Since we are renewing before they expire, I won't need to make an additional downpayment so our monthly payment will remain the same as it was last year when we had 4 passes financed, but paid the cost of one as a down payment. Also, I thought our annual fee for the Chase Sapphire Reserve would post Sept 1, but looking at old statements, saw that it is actually Oct 1, so I was already budgeting in that $525 for Sept, which is now freed up. So, Lego store, we'll be seeing you on Sept 1!

I moved $1000 to our short term savings this month and will move $3000 to our Ally account on Sept, so we are right on track with the savings goals.

My nephew LOVES Lego. I would need to commission him to build it for his favorite aunt! LOL

Also, I thought our annual fee for the Chase Sapphire Reserve would post Sept 1, but looking at old statements, saw that it is actually Oct 1, so I was already budgeting in that $525 for Sept, which is now freed up.

$525 is the annual fee to just have the credit card :faint: i hope that card comes with some incredible perks! i'll admit i don't know much if anything about the whole credit card rewards/airline points thing but it would kill me to be paying that much to a lender just for the privilege of having their credit card (only one i pay for is through our credit union b/c the perks are so good-and the come on offer waived the first year's fee and paid a promo amount of points that was equal to paying for the next 3 years of fees).

Ugh...DH just sent me a link to the new Lego Disney Train set and of course we NEED to buy it on Sept 1. Budget busted!
Now I want this, lol! It looks fun.
I need to sit down and rehash the CC's after they're paid off. We have two with annual fees. Alaska Air. We got them for the free companion tickets for the Dec. 2018 trip. Now, it seems like a waste of $200/year. Not sure if closing them will affect our credit, but I have a few months to figure that out. I'll start reading the CC massive thread more carefully now to help with our future choices. We chose not to pay off the car until March. And are leaving the mortgage as is until at least June of next year, to build a cash reserve.
I'm evaluating my Alaska Air card next year. They get you right away with their fee, too, well for me it wasn't waived the first year. I know it's not a long term keeper unless my DD stays in the northwest. I got it simply for that reason as it's a major airline for her, or for me if I go travel west, or both. We already used the companion fare this year, will wait through 2020 to see what I intend to do with it.

$525 is the annual fee to just have the credit card :faint: i hope that card comes with some incredible perks! i'll admit i don't know much if anything about the whole credit card rewards/airline points thing but it would kill me to be paying that much to a lender just for the privilege of having their credit card (only one i pay for is through our credit union b/c the perks are so good-and the come on offer waived the first year's fee and paid a promo amount of points that was equal to paying for the next 3 years of fees).

It's a $450 annual fee plus $75 per authorized user, so for us, $525.

It comes with the following perks:

-$300 annual travel credit. The first $300 you spend on anything that coded as travel, you get back immediately as a statement credit. This brings the effective annual fee down to $150.

-Priority Pass membership (each card member can bring up to 3 guests into any airport lounge associated with the Priority Pass program, worldwide). These lounges often cost around $40-$50 per person to enter and serve food and have full open bars, as well as offer a nice area with comfortable seating, numerous charging areas, showers, etc. They are amazing when you have a long layover and my husband travels a lot, so totally worth it. This is an approximate retail value of $250 per membership.

-A huge sign on bonus. I opened the card with a 100,000 point bonus, which when redeemed for travel, was worth $1500. That was free money right there.

-Automatic Travel insurance for ALL trips booked using the card. This benefit is worth a LOT. Last time we bought travel insurance for a cruise, it was about $200 for our family of 4. We haven't had to buy travel insurance since getting the CSR. It also includes trip delay coverage, lost luggage reimbursement, and access to other special perks at certain hotels through the Visa Infinite Perks program.

-up to $100 credit for Global Entry or Pre Check. I used it for Pre Check. You get this perk once every 5 years, so I won't ever pay for Pre Check as long as this remains a benefit.

-3% earnings rate on travel and dining. This racks up for us very quickly. I can pair using this card with purchasing travel through Costco for even more savings. For example, Disney cruises earn about 8% back at Costco (in the form of a cash card), but then I earn an additional 2% via my executive membership, then another 3% in chase points.

We have earned FAR more than we have paid out in annual fees on this card. We net between $850-1250 every year in rewards dollars, more if we take a big trip. As long as we keep making a profit on this card, we are keeping it because the benefits are amazing.

Ugh. July was a very expensive month for me. I just lowered my last credit card payment by $200 to try and offset some of the spending so the payoff will be a bit delayed. While I have the money to just pay it off, I don't feel comfortable letting my checking account dip too low (even with having some money in savings).

This thread is amazing. I haven't read through everything, but I am struggling with loads of debt too. We had a rough few years and had to put nearly everything on credit. Thinks have finally improved for us financially and now we are trying to pay it down, but it never seems to get any lower. We always pay over the minimum too. I just need lots of tips and advice on how to really get this going while trying to save some money and save for our vacation next fall or winter. I know they say pay the smaller ones off first, but its the big ones that scare me and I would rater get rid of them. I really don't even know how to go about making a budget...I need to ASAP.

We have considered selling our home to pay it all off and just renting for a bit, but rent around me is higher per month than we pay out now. I'm just desperate and need some direction.

I am also on the losing weight and getting healthy train. I feel awful, look awful and we will be married 25 years in 2020 and I want to look great. I just turned 50 and I am feeling it. I never wanted to be fat at 50 but here I am.

Thanks!
Welcome!! I haven't been on this thread long myself, but it has quickly become my favorite. You sound a bit like us - we live in an area where rent is a lot higher than a house payment, not sure why. I will be turning 50 in March, and my 25th anniversary is this October. We've been paying down debt for a few years now - it will get better!! I decided to tackle our highest interest card first, after I noticed the interest rates creeping up when the economy started doing better. It was the card in the middle as far as how much was on it, but when I saw the rate I got physically ill. That was the decider. Worked on that until it was paid, then went for the next highest rate (but smallest amount charged). That got paid, now working on the lowest rate, highest amount charged card - ironically the amount we're paying in interest a mo. on it is less than either of the other 2. It's the only bill left besides mortgage so we plug along. Also still putting away for retirement, savings, and trips. Sometimes broken vehicles and home improvements get in the way, but I try not to let those get to me since it's still going to something necessary. Also building up food storage for bad winters, putting $ aside for a driveway repair, and purging the house of too much junk!!! Easy Peasy!!! You're in the right place.

This was me when I came into this forum. I've been a DIS member for years and years. I was so embarrassed that I made a new login. This forum has been so supportive, so very helpful. Welcome and I hope we can help you!

LOVE the snowball! And I'm not a DR follower, but I stuck to the snowball and am ALMOST to the end.

I saved this quote for last because...the inheritance check just came in. And it's so much more than I'd even thought. I never asked DH because it seemed pretty hawkish to do. We've both been still dealing with the aftermath of missing Grandma. Just this weekend, we were talking about her and missing how she brought the family together. It's been a rough process with the inheritance, to the point that DH stepped back and refused to have contact with the cousin who was taking extra time to get the funds dispursed.

But now, with the check in front of me, I called him and he wasn't surprised about the total. At all. My guess was 1/4 of it. He wants to sit down with the snowball and look to see what we can pay off. If we apply it to the CC debt, we can pay EVERY SINGLE CARD in full!!!! That leaves us with the car payments, which I can pay off by the end of the year.

If I could have zero dollars and still have Grandma, I would. I miss her fiercely. It's taken me a while to type this because I keep crying about how generous she was, even in death. I'm absolutely overwhelmed at the prospect of being CC debt free. Kinda breathless. Giddy. Scared that I'll mess it up again. That DH will.

I'm not leaving this group. Not ever. You all have been my lifeline when I've wanted to chuck it and live payment to payment again. Hoping that the talk with the DH and I will go well tonight and we make some good decisions.
You deserve good things to happen for you - remember that! And my DH is the same way, I took control completely of the finances about 6 years ago and don't let him talk me into anything I feel we can't afford. He doesn't even bat an eye, just accepts the answer 'cause he knows better, lol! He's the reason the cc got so out of hand - all on trips that did make amazing memories. But we only take trips we have the cash for now. And he works hard and makes good money - which is how we've been able to pay down the debt in a decent time. Even with setbacks - and still save for retirement, savings, xmas, trips, etc. So you are absolutely headed in the right direction! And the pain of (and reward!) of paying things off slowly does teach us to make better decisions. So happy for you!!

Ugh. July was a very expensive month for me. I just lowered my last credit card payment by $200 to try and offset some of the spending so the payoff will be a bit delayed. While I have the money to just pay it off, I don't feel comfortable letting my checking account dip too low (even with having some money in savings).
I'm the same way most of the time, I don't like our checking account too low.

Oh my word, that CC thread is big and scary. :rotfl2: I'm almost afraid to pop in there and ask basic questions.
I like that board and mostly just browse because I don't have much to say as I'm a credit card points amateur here, and way too chicken to get a business card! I play a very minor league game of credit card points! At some point (it always feels like it could be around the corner for me to say OK let's streamline our cards and bank accounts), I plan to scale down our cards to just 2 each. Way over 5/24 here now for me on Chase as I often take up on the pre-approval offers I get in the mail as long as it's one of my banks I bank with (I have a few as I'm not a one-bank person) and lately took up two USAA cards, so no light in the tunnel for 24 months with Chase, banned for the next two years. My credit score didn't take too big of a hit currently 775.

I like that board and mostly just browse because I don't have much to say as I'm a credit card points amateur here, and way too chicken to get a business card! I play a very minor league game of credit card points! At some point (it always feels like it could be around the corner for me to say OK let's streamline our cards and bank accounts), I plan to scale down our cards to just 2 each. Way over 5/24 here now for me on Chase as I often take up on the pre-approval offers I get in the mail as long as it's one of my banks I bank with (I have a few as I'm not a one-bank person) and lately took up two USAA cards, so no light in the tunnel for 24 months with Chase, banned for the next two years. My credit score didn't take too big of a hit currently 775.
I'm only at 60k points after using them for a flight and rental car in May. Also am too chicken for the business card right now. Maybe next year. I'm only at 2/24 and DH is 1/24, so we can go hog wild. HOWEVER, there will be no hogs wilding yet. :rotfl2: I need to learn more about the game.

Today is the day I log in and pay things off, since the check cleared overnight. It's overwhelming, but LET'S DO THIS!!!

I'm only at 60k points after using them for a flight and rental car in May. Also am too chicken for the business card right now. Maybe next year. I'm only at 2/24 and DH is 1/24, so we can go hog wild. HOWEVER, there will be no hogs wilding yet. :rotfl2: I need to learn more about the game.

Today is the day I log in and pay things off, since the check cleared overnight. It's overwhelming, but LET'S DO THIS!!!
Move slowly with the credit card game. Once you understand how it all works - which cards give what benefits, you can pick up speed if you want.

I personally move very slowly and I have been playing the game for a little over three years. I don't do business cards. I only have one card with an annual fee ($95), and I don't churn or get new cards often. I researched the best cards for my travel needs and have five that I regularly use to pay just about everything. I don't buy things just for the points. Every purchases is in my monthly budget. Each one of the five cards give me something different in terms of rewards (1x, 2x, 3x, 5x) and the rewards for me are either Chase UR, Amex MR, or cash back. I log into my three credit card accounts EVERY DAY and pay the balance so that if feels like I am using a debit card. In the three years since starting this game the only flight out of pocket money I have paid is the 5.60 fee. I have flown my son back and forth from school several times a year for 3 years and taken a few family trips and have not come close to running out of points.

I tell you all this to let you know that it is okay to move slowly. Just like in real life there is not reason to "keep up with the Jonses." I really like the people on the credit card thread and am not trying to say they are doing it wrong - they rock! But that level is not for everyone. Sometimes I wish I could do what some of them do. But I don't personally have it in me to manage a lot of cards and to always have a minimum spend to work on. If after you get your feet wet you find that you can do more - go for it. But only if you can pay your balances. Earning the rewards is not worth it if you are paying interest on the cards.

Ask lots of questions on the credit card thread. Everyone there loves to help everyone else and they are very friendly.

Last edited:
Ask lots of questions on the credit card thread. Everyone there loves to help everyone else and they are very friendly.
Will do. Am in info overload right now, and taking notes. I don't mind moving slowly. Had a PM from someone with over 50 CC's in the last 5 years and it made me breathe a little funny. :rotfl2: I can't even imagine that right now, or anytime soon.

DH and I are headed out on a date tonight to chat and celebrate, to take a hard look at the future plans and figure out what step to take next. I honestly could not have done this without the wisdom and kindness of the people on this board.

Great news today - the pet insurance company finally processed my claim for my pup's surgery and it was approved! They are actually even paying for $200 more than I expected. Such a relief to have this out of the way before I leave for France!

For some reason I rarely get notifications for this thread - just wanted to say what awesome news that is that you can pay off all of your cc debt @imbatman! My grandfather left quite a bit to his three daughters when he passed and it allowed my parents to pay off their mortgage. It was an amazing and unexpected gift but everyone would have traded it for more time with him, so I understand the complexity of those emotions. :hug:

@DLgal does your chase reserve card cover the TSA pre check fee for both of you? Or does it just cover you?

Currently debating the reserve, or the cheaper preferred card.

This board is so quiet! No real budget or debt reduction things to discuss I suppose. Continuing to save monthly here, that is going well. Just in that last stretch of the month where trying not to make any other Target runs! September brings some new things to think about, school, activities, fall, then Christmas.

@DLgal and @pblack -- I'm a frequent reader on the Debt Dumper thread and have noted some good Disneyland advice you have given to others here. I'm arriving at the Anaheim Marriott about 9:00am on Saturday (Aug 24) and plan to go to the parks on Sat (Disneyland) and Sun (California Adventure) before starting a work related conference Monday-Wednesday. I was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking for some advice?
I had major surgery in May and my mobility and stamina is not the greatest yet. I use a rollator walker if I am going to walk far or carry things, but I am not sure the rollator will be enough assistance. I was thinking about leaving the rollator at the hotel, taking an Uber to and from the parks, and then walking to the onsite ECV rental. Can you help me figure out where Uber drops off? And how far is the walk to the ECV rental? I have taken ART twice before when I stayed off-site and it was not a great experience, so I was hoping I could get close enough with an Uber drop off??

I won't be able to ride anything that would shake my back up too much, so this will be a very different kind of trip for me. Any thoughts or ideas on the attractions I should do early at each park?

@DLgal and @pblack -- I'm a frequent reader on the Debt Dumper thread and have noted some good Disneyland advice you have given to others here. I'm arriving at the Anaheim Marriott about 9:00am on Saturday (Aug 24) and plan to go to the parks on Sat (Disneyland) and Sun (California Adventure) before starting a work related conference Monday-Wednesday. I was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking for some advice?
I had major surgery in May and my mobility and stamina is not the greatest yet. I use a rollator walker if I am going to walk far or carry things, but I am not sure the rollator will be enough assistance. I was thinking about leaving the rollator at the hotel, taking an Uber to and from the parks, and then walking to the onsite ECV rental. Can you help me figure out where Uber drops off? And how far is the walk to the ECV rental? I have taken ART twice before when I stayed off-site and it was not a great experience, so I was hoping I could get close enough with an Uber drop off??

I won't be able to ride anything that would shake my back up too much, so this will be a very different kind of trip for me. Any thoughts or ideas on the attractions I should do early at each park?
The Uber drop off is a slightly further walk then the art bus loop at the esplanade. If you need an ECV I would recommend renting one to be delivered at your hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!