Debt Dumpers - 2019

Back from a magical weekend at DL, followed by a mountain of work on Tuesday and Weds.! I believe we blew our food budget for the DL trip, but I promised myself not to freak out over DL prices. Those mint juleps, though...they kill my budget!!! It was 71 on Friday and 94 on Sunday, so quite the temp swing. DH and I really enjoyed our time, rode Smuggler's Run twice (he did it three times), visited Oga's (my opinion: never again), and he LOVED the World of Color dessert party. Worth the splurge? Absolutely. Because...

We are coming home to a tighter budget (on purpose), my dad is losing his battle to cancer (and his horrible attitude isn't helping), DH is going through the first steps in a major foot surgery, and our power was turned off again by PG&E because of winds.

BUT, there is joy: the power is back on now, my SUPER big surprise to bring my oldest's friend home for Thanksgiving is still lined up, insurance is playing nicely in the sandbox with the requirements for surgery so far, and I get to go on a short road trip with my mom to see my sister tomorrow. My biggest thanksgiving joy is that DH is on board with budgeting now (after thousands and thousands of dollars being run up by him, for those who don't know my story). I pray that this time next year, we will be in such a different place.

AND starting tonight, I'm turning on my Christmas lights.
I'm expecting DW to to kill my budget as well - cheers! So glad you enjoyed your DL trip, you guys deserve a nice getaway. What's up with Oga's? Is it lame? And that temp. swing is something I'm a little more concerned about this trip (7 days!!! Til Orlando!) Last Dec. I was cold 90% of the time, so bought a rather expensive Patagonia nano puff hoody coat that I hope was worth the extra $$$ (on sale, of course). My house is already completely decorated for xmas, all presents bought and wrapped, need a few fresh food items for Tgiving, finish itinerary and start packing. After xmas we will also be on a self imposed tighter budget (as every year) after spending with reckless abandon for the holidays and Orlando trip. So sorry about your dad, that must be so difficult for him to come to terms with, which will also make it harder on his loved ones - sending prayers to you and your family. Happy your DH is getting his foot taken care of, though, and Ins. is cooperating (that can be a nightmare). Sounds like good things are coming your way - enjoy the rest of the year and look forward to a brighter tomorrow!!

And that temp. swing is something I'm a little more concerned about this trip (7 days!!! Til Orlando!) Last Dec. I was cold 90% of the time,

even if it dips into the 50's it's going to feel comfortable as compared to here-we are in the low to mid 30's for highs this week and when we head for the airport next sunday we are looking at about 17 degrees. we've got some long sleeve stuff packed for evenings but will be happy to leave the heavy coats at home. i'm almost done packing, need to call and confirm a couple of things and concentrate on the odds and ends along w/house cleaning (want to come home to a clean house so all i have is last minute holiday shopping and of course a big trip to the grocery store).

No travel planned here, staying home and cooking, and turning on the Macy's parade. DH wanted to smoke a bird again this year in his smoker, but was outvoted as the rest of us prefer the oven baked type, but letting him inject it with a base and set overnight in the fridge. Went on a very insanely crowded Costco run today, and not planning on Black Friday shopping. There's really nothing anyone wants, except for me, I'd like new Airpods. My current pair that I bought when airpods first came out, are recently having issues maintaining a connection, going out on one side after about 30 minutes.

Happy holiday to all those on here, and to those that haven't posted in a long time, but maybe still read along!

I'm expecting DW to to kill my budget as well - cheers! So glad you enjoyed your DL trip, you guys deserve a nice getaway. What's up with Oga's? Is it lame?
Oga's was WAY too crowded and WAY too expensive (in my opinion, even by Disney standards). I had a reservation and we didn't even get a table (standing only) OR to the bar. We were told to line up behind people at the bar and "wait until there's space to move forward." What the what? Our barkeep was so-so. Took our order between the people in front of us (who drank SO SLOW), charged our card, and never helped us again. We had to ask a different bartender for a second drink (that's right, we tried three to try and make it better). Maybe it's just because I'm not a bar type of person. AT ALL.

I'm pulling off the surprise of a lifetime today. My daughter's friend is flying in to spend Thanksgiving with us and my daughter doesn't have a clue. Best of all? I'm making her drive to the airport (2.5 hours away) to pick up "my friend" because there are no rental cars. :rotfl2:

Happy almost Thanksgiving friends! I hope that whatever your plans may be, they go off with minimal issues! I'll be cooking my first ever turkey tomorrow....so fingers crossed for me haha.

And to those of you who are black friday shopping....may the odds be ever in your favor! I will be trying for a few select things from walmart.com when the sale starts in a few hours.

hope everyone has a safe and sane holiday-emphasis on the safe portion. winds are nuts here today and yesterday a last minute decision on our part to travel to an alternate location to retrieve some thanksgiving items saved us from being in the thick of a 70 (you read that right-seventy) car pile up on the freeway:scared::scared::scared: thankfully no deaths or serious injuries but many totaled cars.

gobble gobble.

We were supposed to fly out this morning to go to Disney but we are in a blizzard so all flights are cancelled. Can’t get a flight out till Thursday! We are driving out tomorrow to Denver and flying out of there at 12:46 am Monday. We didn’t get travel insurance through Disney so we go or lose all the money we paid.

We were supposed to fly out this morning to go to Disney but we are in a blizzard so all flights are cancelled. Can’t get a flight out till Thursday! We are driving out tomorrow to Denver and flying out of there at 12:46 am Monday. We didn’t get travel insurance through Disney so we go or lose all the money we paid.
Yikes! Hopefully Denver isn't going to be a bad drive.

Hope you made it okay! I live in Denver and we got about a foot of snow last Tuesday and then high winds that closed some roads yesterday. :(

Safe travels for your flight tomorrow (I am sending pixie dust to make sure you get your flight!!). We fly into Minneapolis/St/Paul Tuesday am, will probably be thinking of you if there is snow! Won't be on that day, will be on planes allll day (why do we always get 30 min. layovers?). Our drop off at the airport is on the opposite end of the airport to the Orlando terminal - we'll be running.

Safe travels for your flight tomorrow (I am sending pixie dust to make sure you get your flight!!). We fly into Minneapolis/St/Paul Tuesday am, will probably be thinking of you if there is snow! Won't be on that day, will be on planes allll day (why do we always get 30 min. layovers?). Our drop off at the airport is on the opposite end of the airport to the Orlando terminal - we'll be running.

Inlaws are flying out tomorrow. Their flight is still on time. You should be fine Tuesday as we are entering a dry, clear spell.

Splurged and bought myself an Insta Pot at Target last Friday. $50.23 delivered. Merry Christmas to me!!!
Shamefully I know nothing about the perks of the Insta pot. I know that it's a big hit and see it advertised, but that's the extent of it. Behind the times, I am! Actually, I have zero counter space, so I don't look into kitchen counter appliances more than a peek. I'd love a Nespresso, the dual Keurig/coffe pot, a new toaster oven, a toaster, I can go on! I told DH to please not buy me anything for the kitchen, despite when I'm impressed over a kitchen appliance commercial :) and he knows I love coffee.

But not one more inch of counter space, and no cabinet space either. Our next home whether we rent or buy, a larger kitchen, better/modern bathrooms, and closets are going to be something I have at the top of my list.

I haven't been on here since before Thanksgiving. Just so much going on. We had a great holiday with just me, DH and DD. The meal from Boston Market was delicious and we would definitely order it again if we stay home for Thanksgiving. So much easier than cooking everything from scratch.

We didn't do much in terms for Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping. There was a giant Olaf doll in the Target ad that DD saw and really wanted, so we went on Thursday evening to buy it. She loves it and every time she sees it she runs at it, says, "Uug" and gives the doll a huge hug. I also bought us an air fryer for an amazing price which we have used every single day since we bought it. DH loves it. And then we bought 3 Echo Show 8s. One for us and one to give to each set of parents so that they can video chat with DD.

I had the frozen embryo transfer on Monday. Everything went well with the procedure, so now it is just a waiting game until my blood draw on Dec. 11 to verify pregnancy. I am way more nervous this time around than I was last time. Not really sure why, but I think it is likely this feeling that we got so lucky the first time around, how could we be that lucky again?

It is now just 11 days until we head back to WDW. If work doesn't kill me before then, I will be so glad for the trip.

I haven't been on here since before Thanksgiving. Just so much going on. We had a great holiday with just me, DH and DD. The meal from Boston Market was delicious and we would definitely order it again if we stay home for Thanksgiving. So much easier than cooking everything from scratch.

We didn't do much in terms for Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping. There was a giant Olaf doll in the Target ad that DD saw and really wanted, so we went on Thursday evening to buy it. She loves it and every time she sees it she runs at it, says, "Uug" and gives the doll a huge hug. I also bought us an air fryer for an amazing price which we have used every single day since we bought it. DH loves it. And then we bought 3 Echo Show 8s. One for us and one to give to each set of parents so that they can video chat with DD.

I had the frozen embryo transfer on Monday. Everything went well with the procedure, so now it is just a waiting game until my blood draw on Dec. 11 to verify pregnancy. I am way more nervous this time around than I was last time. Not really sure why, but I think it is likely this feeling that we got so lucky the first time around, how could we be that lucky again?

It is now just 11 days until we head back to WDW. If work doesn't kill me before then, I will be so glad for the trip.
I just want to give you cyber hugs while you wait for results.

So I figure now is as good a time as any for my end of year update. I'll have to come back with my 2020 goals later though.

My beginning of the year financial and personal goals and what I/we accomplished in purple:
  • Pay off the last $5235 in credit card debt that we have (all currently at 0% interest) ..... Paid off all previous credit card debt in June! (But did add $2000 in credit card debt when we bought our new sectional.)
  • Pay off DH's student loans $3340 ..... Paid off DH's 1st student loan yesterday! Currently owe $1625 and should hopefully have it paid off by March/April. That's a difference of $1715!
  • Save $2000 in our emergency fund ..... Not quite, by the end of the month we'll have $1650. We had some small set backs with my parents needing money.
  • Increase mine and DHs retirement contributions (not sure by how much, but any little bit helps) .... I increased my 457 plan from $50/mo to $100/mo when my raise kicked in in August. I increased DH's Roth and 401k by 1% each with the raise he just received.
  • Exercise more and lose some weight ..... Bought a bike/elliptical combo and diligently used the last few months with the exception of the last few weeks. I got kinda lazy with the holiday and now i'm sick. I plan to continue this though once i'm not sick.
  • Travel out of the country this year for my 30th birthday and our 5th wedding anniversary .... this did not happen, but we have a cruise planned for Nov 2020!
  • See my best friend at least twice, if not more .... This did happen! Saw my bff in May and then again in August.

Overall i'm pretty pleased with what we've managed to accomplish this year. I can't wait to knock out more debt next year! Once I get my goals aligned for next year, i'll be sure to come back and post them.

I'll join @pblack in an end of year update! I will have new 2020 goals by the end of the month!

2019 Goals:
  • Pay off my car loan - Done!!!
  • Add at least an additional $2k to my emergency fund (likely more because I'll probably throw at least half of my tax return to it) - Done!!! I'll be JUST over $2000 by the end of the month.
  • Add 1.2k to my Christmas fund by year end --- DONEZO. Also, mostly spent because I'm almost done Christmas shopping.
  • Up my 401k to 8%. I am currently at 7% (employer match). I'll increase with my annual raise. --- DONE
  • Increase my HSA saving contributions --- DONE
  • Add 1k my vacation fund Can I call this done? In total I saved that much, but also I went on vacation and used it....it's now down.
  • Pay off remaining consumer debt (less than 4k) -- This will be DONE mid-month. I've already scheduled the LAST payment.

I did better than I thought I did, but still wish to make much more progress in 2020.

I also had a goal of eating healthier and exercising more. The eating healthier was a big ol FAIL, but I am at 450.4 running miles so far this year. I should hit 500 by year end if I get all my runs in. For reference, last year I had 52.1 miles.

I had to search for my 2019 goals:

Plans for 2019:
  1. CC #1 - pay off ASAP. This will be my go-to card for regular expenses, as the point return is good. Until it's paid off, I will not use it. - Done!
  2. CC #2 - Stay on payment schedule. It'll be paid off in June. I'll post a banana dance when that is done. - Banana dance posted
  3. CC #3 - Just received an offer for a 0% transfer, but will call them and see if they will match the BoA 0 fee. If not, I'll be applying to BoA to roll it to 0% in the next two days. - This is the card we used for the DL trip and will be paid off
  4. Car loan - scheduled to be paid off in December 2019. Banana dance on that day. - Weird, that I miscalculated this. It's scheduled to be paid off in March.
DH is on board. We are horrible with budgets, but we've had a steep learning curve. I'm thrilled we are making progress instead of going backwards. We've stopped living paycheck to paycheck. We have a baby savings. We have bumped up our 401(k) contributions. It's okay that some people don't agree with that method, but I watched a friend retire and hardcore fail because he hadn't planned on unplanned expenses. We are too close to retirement to not contribute. - Still going strong on the 401(k) contributions. Also started a vacation fund bank account on an account with a $200 bonus that'll post in April. Also ended up repaying $3k in unexpected vacation costs. Overall, extremely happy to still be moving forward.

Going to think about the 2020 year. Will check the balances of anything outstanding at the end of the month. We still have the student loan to pay off. I keep reminding my kids that it's not worth having it hang around for decades. Would really like to get into the CC churning next year, but would rather be in a solid financial spot for a year or two. We'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter