Debt Dumpers - 2019

In budget news, I have to up my grocery expenses for the next couple of weeks. Trying a gluten free diet to narrow down some issues. Two things: 1. GF bread products are EXPENSIVE! 2. GF bread is also tasteless and gross.

if you think you might have celiac disease it can be allot less expensive and time consuming to just do the blood test for it. it runs about $100 and will give a definitive answer (and most insurances cover it). one of the issues with trying to figure it out via an elimination diet is that to truly eliminate it takes allot more than just looking at foods-there's beauty products (lipsticks, lip balms), prescription meds and otc meds/supplements among the many things we routinely use that contain gluten. lots of things we put in our bodies that we never think of having gluten do so it can take allot of time, effort and money. most people WILL initially feel better b/c they tend to cut way back on foods if they see any indicator of gluten so it's almost like the initial 'going on a diet' effect but as they start finding substitutes they either feel the same as they did before or worse b/c they may end up with nutritional and fiber deficiencies.

dh had a doctor who was insistant he had celiac and pushed to try elimination. dh was adamant he did'nt (grew up vegetarian with a HIGH gluten diet and never had issues) so we insisted on the test instead. in less than 48 hours we had the results and avoided buying a bunch of overpriced/nasty (to us) tasting foods.

if you think you might have celiac disease it can be allot less expensive and time consuming to just do the blood test for it. it runs about $100 and will give a definitive answer (and most insurances cover it). one of the issues with trying to figure it out via an elimination diet is that to truly eliminate it takes allot more than just looking at foods-there's beauty products (lipsticks, lip balms), prescription meds and otc meds/supplements among the many things we routinely use that contain gluten. lots of things we put in our bodies that we never think of having gluten do so it can take allot of time, effort and money. most people WILL initially feel better b/c they tend to cut way back on foods if they see any indicator of gluten so it's almost like the initial 'going on a diet' effect but as they start finding substitutes they either feel the same as they did before or worse b/c they may end up with nutritional and fiber deficiencies.

dh had a doctor who was insistant he had celiac and pushed to try elimination. dh was adamant he did'nt (grew up vegetarian with a HIGH gluten diet and never had issues) so we insisted on the test instead. in less than 48 hours we had the results and avoided buying a bunch of overpriced/nasty (to us) tasting foods.

The blood test isn't very accurate. The only true way to test for celiac is with an intestinal biopsy, done during a colonoscopy/endoscopy.

The blood test frequently gives a false negative result.

That said, with insurance, this procedure is usually covered 100% for diagnostic purposes. I had it done 2 years ago at age 39 due to some worsening IBS symptoms. My doctor wanted to rule out Crohn's, Celiac, and cancer. I didn't pay anything, not even a copay. I was thankfully cleared of anything serious being the root cause of my issues. I can confidently eat gluten to my heart's content.

if you think you might have celiac disease it can be allot less expensive and time consuming to just do the blood test for it.
The blood test isn't very accurate. The only true way to test for celiac is with an intestinal biopsy, done during a colonoscopy/endoscopy.
I have a close friend who has diagnosed celiac disease after a couple of hospital stays, so I'm familiar with the testing. And I really don't want a colonoscopy. So, I'm trying a diet modification. I'm only on day 2 and haven't had any of the issues I was having before. I do know that at one point, I'll have to try gluten to test the theory. It's just a self-diagnosis at this point. And it's due to the fact that my 30+ year doctor suddenly closed his office after a medical emergency of his own and the walk-in clinic is a joke.

All this to say that I'm glad that my celiac friend has the actual diagnosis so that if this is the case, she can point me to the more tasty options.

I have a close friend who has diagnosed celiac disease after a couple of hospital stays, so I'm familiar with the testing. And I really don't want a colonoscopy. So, I'm trying a diet modification. I'm only on day 2 and haven't had any of the issues I was having before. I do know that at one point, I'll have to try gluten to test the theory. It's just a self-diagnosis at this point. And it's due to the fact that my 30+ year doctor suddenly closed his office after a medical emergency of his own and the walk-in clinic is a joke.

All this to say that I'm glad that my celiac friend has the actual diagnosis so that if this is the case, she can point me to the more tasty options.

I had a coworker who was gluten sensitive and the one thing she brought for lunches that my DH and I started eating because its healthier is Banza pasta. It's not healthy per se, but healthier than regular pasta and is gf. Its chickpea based and pretty easy to find, I have gotten it at Walmart and Target.

A colonoscopy isn't really a big deal at all. I found it quite relaxing (because I was out cold, LOL!). When you suffer from digestive "issues", the prep for a colonoscopy is NBD, plus, not to be TMI, but I felt quite nice being all cleaned out for those couple days. For once, I didn't have intestinal cramps, gas, bloating, etc. I wish I could do the "prep" once a week...

Plus, it was a relief knowing I didn't have any major issues. The truth is, if you DO have celiac or any of the inflammatory bowel diseases, you want to know that, as they have the potential to cause long term serious issues if not controlled or medicated properly.

I got a lot of relief from my issues by following the low FODMAP diet. It is very possible that you are sensitive to the fermenting of wheat or other culpable food sugars in your intestines, rather than wheat protein (gluten). It is an important distinction to make. Maybe look into it. Start with the Monash website, as they are the ones who developed the diet. It will help you pinpoint some triggers, and you can modify your diet as necessary going forward. Find yourself a gastroenterologist. They are much better at handling these things than a general practitioner.

my concern with the gluten free trend is i've seen too many people who jump full force into it w/not so great long term results. it's fine if you keep track and make sure you still get the vitamins and nutrients you were getting from the foods that you eliminate but you also have to watch out for the higher sugar (calories) and carbs that many gf substitution products contain. i've known a few too many people who felt awesome the first month or so (and were thrilled w/ some fast initial weight loss) but i think that's because most of them couldn't stand the taste of the substitutes so the really just eliminated or greatly reduced some items in their diets that they probably should have cut back on anyway. where it gets scary for me is when they go for a check up and find their blood work shows them dangerously low in some areas/high in others (and women start seeing brittle nails/hair thinning or loss).

like any other dietary change, ya gotta do your homework.

A colonoscopy isn't really a big deal at all. I found it quite relaxing (because I was out cold, LOL!).

when i had mine the minute the meds hit me in the iv i was out like a light. any other anesthesia i've had there was a couple of seconds between it hitting my system and going under-that time ZERO. i asked afterwards what they used-propofol. it was at that moment that any doubt i had over weather michael jackson could have, as his convicted doctor claimed-woken up a bit and gave himself more exited my brain entirely. that stuff doesn't make you sleepy such that you can do anything-it entirely knocks you out.

when i had mine the minute the meds hit me in the iv i was out like a light. any other anesthesia i've had there was a couple of seconds between it hitting my system and going under-that time ZERO. i asked afterwards what they used-propofol. it was at that moment that any doubt i had over weather michael jackson could have, as his convicted doctor claimed-woken up a bit and gave himself more exited my brain entirely. that stuff doesn't make you sleepy such that you can do anything-it entirely knocks you out.

Yep. I've had several surgeries and procedures an this was the most enjoyable by a LONG shot, anesthesia wise. I also loved how quickly I felt normal after the procedure. It was like, 15 minutes after waking up and I felt absolutely fine. No weird dizziness or hangover sensation.

My mom delayed getting a colonoscopy for ten years because she was terrified to be put under after a bad reaction to anesthesia almost 30 years ago. I had tried multiple times over the years to explain to her that I was sure she would be fine and wouldn't die while getting a colonoscopy. After one of my coworkers with no family history was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, I put my foot down and insisted that my mom get one. As suspected, she did absolutely fine with the propofol. Woke up afterwards in a snap and wasn't groggy at all. She said it was just like she closed her eyes and opened them back up a second later, it felt so fast to her.

I have to have a colonoscopy & endoscopy every year (gastroparesis, IBS, and gerd), the worst part for me is the prep. That stuff tastes nasty - so I buy Orajel & cover literally my entire mouth & tongue before drinking it. I know it's weird, but someone gave me that advice after like the third year & it saved my life, lol. Since you drink 2 doses, you do it twice & by the time your done drinking it, it's mostly worn off. DS 24 has his colonoscopy this Friday (finally!!) to see what is going on with him, but its his second so he knows what to expect. His first one was to establish a baseline since I have so many digestive issues, & I'm adopted (no medical history), so both my kids had one. I have lupus so it's possible that has caused a lot of my problems, but hard to know so tests are something I'm used to. I also take a lot of supplements since my diet is very restrictive, but my blood work always comes back great so I must be taking the right vitamins!

That stuff tastes nasty - so I buy Orajel & cover literally my entire mouth & tongue before drinking it.
This is what scares me about it most. I barely could drink the stuff for the diabetic pregnancy test. It was awful. I have a bad gag reflex, so I'll definitely remind myself about the Oralgel if it comes to that, @Scoobie . Thank you!

Taking on a new, necessary, debt today as the youngest spawn gets her braces on.

My heart goes out to you. I'm in the same boat. Received news last week that my dad's tumors have doubled in size and spread to the lymph nodes in his neck. They meet with the radiologist tomorrow for the chance of the single option for comfort, not cure. Mom said that if the appointment doesn't go well (meaning, the radiologist says no because of Dad's other issues), they will go to Aulani before the end of the year. They've never been to Hawaii. I told her that I'd help her arrange the trip. Mom sent me a text yesterday evening (which is funny because we live next door to each other). What she didn't say in the text spoke volumes as to the hourglass of my dad's life.

:flower3: :hug:

best wishes to anyone in california about to be impacted by the power shut down. i can't imagine the havoc it will cause people's budgets between food loss let alone businesses and schools shutting down for days on end (nothing like unpaid leave or no available childcare or fuel to get to work if it is open to wreak havoc on a budget).

you are in our hearts and prayers.

This is what scares me about it most. I barely could drink the stuff for the diabetic pregnancy test. It was awful.
Oh, yes. It is quite possibly the worst thing I have ever had to eat or drink, ever. Once every year, of course, lol. Niko (DS24) will be gettin' his on Thursday, woohoo! He starts his delicious broth and gatorade diet 5pm today. And will probably use the entire tube of Orajel I have at the ready. He can sip his gatorade cocktail while he comforts our cone wearing furbaby. Looking forward to and dreading Friday at the same time - hoping for answers about Niko, praying it isn't too bad. Right now I am t minus 2 hours and 6 min. to fastpass time (4 am here on the west coast, Wa. state), watching the conehead trying to maneuver corners. You think she would get the hang of it eventually. But, no.

Ugh. I broke down and purchased an iPhone 11 this morning. My 7plus now barely holds a charge in addition to all my other issues. I feel super guilty about it. It turns out that I won't have a lot of long term savings this year outside of my retirement (which I have done well on) but at least my car and credit cards will both be at $0 by the end of the year. I will call that a win and try harder next year to save more.

best wishes to anyone in california about to be impacted by the power shut down. i can't imagine the havoc it will cause people's budgets between food loss let alone businesses and schools shutting down for days on end (nothing like unpaid leave or no available childcare or fuel to get to work if it is open to wreak havoc on a budget).

you are in our hearts and prayers.
I haven't been paying attention because I haven't been following the news lately, and also I'm on the east coast outside DC. Now need to go check out the news. We have a few members on here in CA. Well, hope the best for you all, going to take a look at the news channels online.

Ugh. I broke down and purchased an iPhone 11 this morning. My 7plus now barely holds a charge in addition to all my other issues. I feel super guilty about it. It turns out that I won't have a lot of long term savings this year outside of my retirement (which I have done well on) but at least my car and credit cards will both be at $0 by the end of the year. I will call that a win and try harder next year to save more.
I wouldn't worry any on it. If you'll be paid off on the car and credit cards anyway by end of year, that is a win.

I haven't been paying attention because I haven't been following the news lately, and also I'm on the east coast outside DC. Now need to go check out the news. We have a few members on here in CA. Well, hope the best for you all, going to take a look at the news channels online.

It's really only a small portion of northern CA. I live in So Cal and had no idea what people were talking about. I think the power company up there is shutting down because of what happened last year with the Camp Fire, which they determined was caused when high winds knocked down powerlines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter