Debt Dumpers - 2019

Scoobie

Mouseketeer
btw-since you do this every year, is it just sticker shock for me having not traveled back to orlando for several years or are the flights from washington to mco higher in cost this year?
They started going up last year. For 20+ years I paid about the same at around the 2 month mark (from $510 - $590 pp). Last year, could not find anything under $700, and I always start looking about 5 mo. out. Ended up paying $712pp for Dec. at 2 mo. mark. So this year I started looking in Jan. and found $588pp, but that was in Feb. for our Dec. trip. I did buy them, but you REALLY have to be sure your going, or get trip ins.
halloween? i would love to decorate but no one would see it
I do all that decorating indoors for my special needs son - its tradition sooooo I end up doing it every year. And I have a lot. My younger DS24 still loves it, too, and they both live with us as DS24 is also still going to college.
i'm just hopefull that we don't get massive amounts of snow while we're gone
We don't get much snow where we live in southeast Wa., but have been getting more the last couple of years.
my special needs son is 22 and is a gamer as well so it' largely video games, gift cards to buy video games, anime books and this year-d&d stuff)
That is my son to a T! He's 27 now, but shortly after he graduated HS he started going to community college and took 2 yrs. of japanese, then learned more on his own - he watches anime in japanese online. He's a huge DW fan, but I told him he'll have to translate when we go to Japan to visit Disney and Uni parks (lol, he won't even talk, but we tell him this anyways). Younger DS24 is a DM (Dungeon Master) and runs campaigns with a bunch of friends that DS27 joins, so that allows him to play. DS27 plays a lot of Final Fantasy, DS24 plays a lot of WoW - and they both play a lot of other games. They are also huge Harry Potter fans so going to Uni every year before DW is a given - we all have the robes, wands, ties, scarves, and sweaters that we bought there years ago (I bring them every trip) and wear them the whole time. It's a lot of fun. If you'll be there Dec. 13 or 14, a website called Orlando Informer has a private event in Uni at night that is fantastic - we did it last year and it was a highlight, doing it again this year. It is in the middle of our Disney time, but we just Uber over from our Disney resort for the evening and Uber back. Worked really well last Dec.!

Scoobie

Mouseketeer
Well I think that sounds like an excellent tradition. We just haven't ventured to Universal Orlando yet. I've been to CA Universal back in, I don't remember, maybe 2004. You stay a good amount of time, too, love that!

Next Thursday will be a decision day for us on WDW in spring, Southwest extends their reservation booking schedule to 13 April. Have to see what rates look like, points for flights, schedule, etc. Next, waiting to see if Disney renews the Salute tickets for 2020 which typically has been announced end of September, and unlikely will have room discounts during the time frame I'm looking at, as they weren't available last year during the week we went.
Thanks! We've tweaked what works for us over the years, and although we've been to the parks in CA. since they are so much closer, the boys are bigger fans of Orlando so we just go there now. Although, we have been to DL Paris as well (they still prefer DW). Now trying to plan an asian tour of Dsiney parks, would like to hit the 2 in China and end up in Japan - and also Uni in Japan. I keep saying"maybe next year", then something comes up that has us back in Orlando. Your lucky you can fly SW, I've read people can get great deals through them. We don't have SW, so no real airfare deal to be had.

jen7233

DIS Veteran
Thanks! We've tweaked what works for us over the years, and although we've been to the parks in CA. since they are so much closer, the boys are bigger fans of Orlando so we just go there now.
Orlando seems to me more of a destination, as you get engulfed in the parks there, particularly with WDW and then Universal and Sea World so close. So have they been to both Universal Hollywood and Universal Orlando? I've been to Hollywood, not yet Orlando.

Now looking at a possible DL trip late next year with DD and grandchild.

• pblack

DIS Veteran
    Happy Friday friends! For some reason I stopped getting notifications for this board and just had to go through the last few days worth of posts. 🤔

Nothing new to report on my end as of right now, but we did find out on Tuesday that DH's sister is pregnant. This will be the first grandchild for DH's parents.

Scoobie

Mouseketeer
    have they been to both Universal Hollywood and Universal Orlando
    Yeah, we live much closer to CA. than Orlando. When they were growing up we went to all the parks in Ca., and most in Orlando until they were done with some. The two of them went to Ca. without me (sniff) for a Blizzard (video game company, DS24 plays World of Warcraft) convention that I wouldn't have much to do at, last Oct. While there they hit the halloween party at DL and Halloween Horror Nights at Uni - then we all went to Orlando in Dec. They prefer both parks in Orlando, but the Ca. ones will do if they are going to be there anyways (we have a lot of family there as well).

Last edited:

Scoobie

Mouseketeer
    Update on DS24: He has had 3 Dr. appts now, they think it's Crohn's disease. Not going to look up too much until they are sure, though. Also, he was diagnosed with Psoriasis
    Update, again: Finally got him an appt. with a gastro next week - hard since he is a new patient and they tend to put them waay out. Our Dr. put a rush on it under the circumstances and they obliged! Otherwise we could've been looking at 2-3 mo. That would've sucked. And he got the psoriasis med filled and started, but will have to wait longer to get into a rheumatologist - but I'm ok with that since the other issue is more pressing. Fortunately, we have quite a bit left on our FSA account (money set aside for medical through employer) and will be able to use that before paying anything out of pocket. Also, I have a question for everyone: Those of you that purchase Memory Maker, are you still going to get it? Box cameras instead of photographers reeeaallly bothers me, but our trip is in Dec. and I've read its at like only 9 places so far? So I'm torn, I do like the ride photos and we don't get as many character pics as we used to (plus I take all the pics with my own camera, but not ride photos!). But this decision is really bothering more than some of the other bad decisions Disney has made lately. Pics (and interactions with characters that photographers catch!) are literally THE memories for these trips. Way more important than parking fees and straws taken away (although those irked me). And it's quite a chunk of money. I still have time to decide - what does everyone think?

ruadisneyfan2

DIS Veteran
    Checking in here! I've decided to kick out my car loan instead of paying off the cruise. The car is at 4.99% and the cruise is at 0% until July. The 2% BT fee is already paid so why not take full advantage of that 12 month offer? I should have the car paid off by mid-late Dec. I owe around $5700 on it.

I just found flights to Rome for $359.80 RT including tax on Norwegian Airlines. This is for next March which is a little chilly there still but it's not much more for April & May. Paris is also super cheap with them.
    I'd love to surprise dh with tickets to see Bocelli in Italy if I can coordinate great flight prices with tour dates.
    He would so love that. :cloud9: That might even earn me the Goddess-Wife of the Year Award. :worship: lol. I'm not even a huge Bocelli fan. I mean, he's talented, but it might not be so easy for me to sit through a whole concert. Dh would do it for me if roles were reversed.
    I gotta get my head out of this spending mentality. We can afford any of these things but not while still paying off our last round of "must-have" fun. It can't ALL be a must have. This is how we get buried up to our necks in debt.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates