Debt Dumpers - 2019

that means anyone who planned on paying off their entire balance with gift cards at the end would have been stuck unless every place they went to accepted those same gift cards. we don't do the gift card payment method for vacation so not an issue for us-but there were plenty of unhappy campers at the front desk when it was sprung on people hours before it happened.
Hope you had a good trip! Yes, I can imagine how mad one would be if they only had the gift cards for their payment method, or went through all the extra pre-planning of gathering gift cards along the months prior planning to pay it that way. I don't do it either, I put ours on a credit card. But, I gather gift cards, and particularly on the DIS, paying with Disney gift cards is a very popular method of payment.

Hope you had a good trip! Yes, I can imagine how mad one would be if they only had the gift cards for their payment method, or went through all the extra pre-planning of gathering gift cards along the months prior planning to pay it that way. I don't do it either, I put ours on a credit card. But, I gather gift cards, and particularly on the DIS, paying with Disney gift cards is a very popular method of payment.

we used a credit card for everything as well but with their crazy system situation while we were there their norm way of sending you an email attachment of your accumulated charges resulted in blank attachments yet when you went to do check out by phone they wanted a voice acknowledgement that you agreed to all the charges. i went to the front desk and got a printout that showed incorrect billing charges so we had to leave having checked out but our charges being 'reviewed once the system gets finished updating'. it's 4 days later and it looks as though everything has been corrected and posted to our credit card.

it had to be sheer madness after we left b/c there were obviously some large corporate groups checking in for holiday events-you can bet the participants were planning on doing charging to their rooms :scared:

Hope those in Orlando are having a good time and maybe enjoying some good weather compared to home! I'm interested to hear any review of RotR if you went! I'm starting to read over on the Theme Parks board, and just wow it's a lot to wade through.

Tomorrow I am trying to get on SW in the morning when the new flight schedule opens and hoping the points aren't outrageous. We already have April WDW flights, need some for later in summer now.
We are here now, did RotR a few days ago. We're big Star Wars fans, but more of the original 3 than the later stuff (but the next 3 were also ok). So, my adult boys and I enjoyed the ride, but not enough to get up at 3am to do it again this trip, lol. Also, it's a ride for all ages - and my boys still like FoP better.

Also, went to Uni before being here at Disney (renting points to stay at AKL Kidani, love it!) and rode Hagrids - got lucky one morning and we were on and off by 9:10am. Also went to the Orlando Informer event Fr. and Sat. at Uni - Hagrids open both nights, very cool at night!

We are here now, did RotR a few days ago. We're big Star Wars fans, but more of the original 3 than the later stuff (but the next 3 were also ok). So, my adult boys and I enjoyed the ride, but not enough to get up at 3am to do it again this trip, lol. Also, it's a ride for all ages - and my boys still like FoP better.
Can't wait to ride RotR. Curious what our reaction will be! We go in April. Not waking up that early to ride it though, hopefully things will iron out by then with some normal park opening times.

Thanks, @dayvewc! The threads seems to get started earlier and earlier each year now so I guess there is already a 2020 thread up. I think you were the originator of the first debt dumping thread, right? I hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

@Dentam No, I came in on the second or third year, I think. But I have been here for a LONG time. Hope you have a great Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well!!!

We still have a few days left to post in the 2019 thread!

Closing out updates for me for December 2019:
I tracked with the Santa's Bag app really well for Christmas, as long as entries are updated as changes happen it works well. I like the overall snapshots for everything and no paper tracking necessary.

No Christmas travel plans, best wishes to those traveling! I see on the news two cruise ships got into it in Cozumel, would hate to have that happen over Christmas. I don't really feel like reading on it to see whether that cruise was going to be over Christmas or not as in when they started their cruise, but that could definitely ruin a vacation either way. We are doing a cruise later in 2020! On RC, has nothing to do with this crash just mentioning it :)

Beginning of January need to purchase park tickets for April WDW trip $1200 for park hoppers, and not stocking up paying for those with Disney gift cards as I can't use them where I'm purchasing from.

Can't wait to ride RotR. Curious what our reaction will be! We go in April. Not waking up that early to ride it though, hopefully things will iron out by then with some normal park opening times.
Still in DW, so won't do debt updates until end of year, but I really hope you don't have to get up early to ride by April. Although, FoP is still seeing 3 hour and more waits, and that ride has been open for quite awhile.

Happy New Year everyone!! Now that the holiday rush is done, I spent the day checking my budget! Went over budget on the Orlando Dec. trip, but knew it was a possibility. Too many new things I hadn't anticipated until later in planning. So, will spend the first few months now paying that off while putting more in savings and paying down last cc. Also will be working more on selling on ebay - had to kick my bro out due to his drug use right before xmas (traumatic, but trying to look at the positive side - he was with us for more than 10 years, I took care of him as he is bipolar and is an addict). He knew the consequences, and now I won't have the rent money he normally paid to go towards debt. But, I get that room, and my house, back so we are ripping out the carpet, repainting, and putting in shelves to store my ebay inventory. DS 24 also wants to set up his leather working station in there (will get it out of the garage!) so he's really excited. And the room will be CLEAN - had no idea how disgusting he is (had some idea, but thought I was being strict with him about cleaning, not strict enough. EW.) I'm on a solid 2 year program for the CC, end of 2021 pay off is the goal. But, when we get extra that will go towards it so could be paid off sooner. Will be skipping Orlando this year (I say that every year, dangit!), unless we can get FD in Dec. If not, the money I would've spent on that trip can to the CC - so either way its a win for me. Hope you all had a great start to the new year!!!

Last edited:
I never posted goals for 2019 because it was a year of many changes and unknown amount of expenses: daughter graduating from high school (and all those Senior Year expenses), not knowing where she would go to college and how much it would ultimately cost, daughter going off to college (and all those dorm room expenses plus tuition/fees/room/board/flights), and I knew I was having major back surgery mid-year and would max out out of pocket expenses plus possibly be out of work without pay for some of the leave (ended up having a second major back surgery of 2019 on Dec 19th because the first one did not heal correctly). I ended 2019 with no additional credit card debt, paid off a (very) little, and cash flowed all medical co-pays and out of pocket expenses that were over my flex plan amount and cash flowed all of daughter's college so far. I am going to count it as a win, and hope to make more debt dumping progress in 2020.

I ended 2019 with no additional credit card debt, paid off a (very) little, and cash flowed all medical co-pays and out of pocket expenses that were over my flex plan amount and cash flowed all of daughter's college so far. I am going to count it as a win, and hope to make more debt dumping progress in 2020.

that is a spectacular accomplishment. you accrued no more debt despite increased expenses yet managed to pay off some existing debt-that is a HUGE win.

congratulations:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Are gift cards NOT working at the resort? Was going to pay some of our resort $ in gift cards

Are gift cards NOT working at the resort? Was going to pay some of our resort $ in gift cards
We were in DW up until Dec. 24, my GC worked every where. Also paid for my DP, MM, and xmas tickets online with GC. What problem are you having?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!