Debt Dumpers - 2018

Cute car! I have seen the Yaris on the road and it seems tiny, since we still have the (tall) boys at home, it wouldn’t work for us (yet). Is it gas-efficient? Not that I will be in the market for a new car for quite a while, we have bought two new-to-us cars in the last 18 months!

Lol,,yes I have a couple of sons who are quite a bit taller than their 4 foot 11 inches mom.
She is driven mostly inner city with occasional trips out of town.
She is very gas efficient and I am paying half of what I was to drive my Ford SEL Focus and I love it.
Winter driving in snow is not the greatest though,,I called in a couple of snow days last year as I knew it wasn't safe to drive.
Great car and price for what I need and I hope to get many more years out of her.
Love my Yaris.
Hugs Mel

Another Toyota owner here.
I have the Toyota Yaris Hatchback, while I bought her used she is a little gem.
That's a cute car! It would be too small for me but I love how economical this seems.
I also had a car savings account, but used it to buy DD her car. I have to restart mine as my car will likely need some major work or a replacement in the upcoming 5 years.

I'm trying to fight hard not to buy a new computer right now. I've been eyeing some HP and Lenovo as this one I use is a dinosaur and we had the other crash completely. I need a logical way to fight off this purchase in my head. I mean, I could just charge it, but.....I probably just need to set aside money specifically for it and do this in six months.

Another Toyota owner here...
I've had my Sienna for 12 yrs. and still going strong. My only gripes are:
1. The cable for the electric sliding doors broke on one side and Toyota wanted $2200+ tax to replace it. Um, no thanks. It was still $400 just to disconnect it from the motor so it could be used manually.
2. The split 3rd row seating mechanism that makes the seats fold down flat into the floor broke on the smaller section. So I can fold the wider section flat but not all of it. :headache: They couldn't even give me an estimate; just that it would cost about $1 million/hr to troubleshoot.

At one point when my siblings and I were still living at home, we all had Toyotas. My brother had a Camry, my sister had the MR2, and I had a Supra.
I LOVED that car and sold it while very pregnant to get extra $ toward a dp on our house. :sad1: I still miss it.

That's a cute car! It would be too small for me but I love how economical this seems.
I also had a car savings account, but used it to buy DD her car. I have to restart mine as my car will likely need some major work or a replacement in the upcoming 5 years.

I'm trying to fight hard not to buy a new computer right now. I've been eyeing some HP and Lenovo as this one I use is a dinosaur and we had the other crash completely. I need a logical way to fight off this purchase in my head. I mean, I could just charge it, but.....I probably just need to set aside money specifically for it and do this in six months.

Hi Hon,,,It seems nowadays things are being built to NOT last.
I have a 3 year old slimline Acer desktop and I am just waiting for it to go Poof!
The last time my computer HP went Poof I financed (credit card) and said never again,,so I am now saving Airmiles and will use them to get the next one.
My sons say the Lenovo is a better product than the HP but I figure they are all being built to NOT last so hey whichever one is the cheapest at the time I need it is getting bought.
I find it hard nowadays to go without a computer,e-mail home and work,banking,bill paying,even staying in touch with family.
This is the one I will probably get.
5,920 Airmiles --so far I've saved 5335 Airmiles.
HP Slimline 270-a029 Desktop PC
1331661272_270-a029.jpg

If the one you have is still working then I would be tempted to set aside for a few months and then purchase. Christmas is a great time to get deals on electronics.
Hugs to you
Mel

I'd start putting aside a little. We have an electronics category that we put money in each month. I use it for gadgets and batteries and computer ink, but it still builds up for when we need a new computer next. DH keeps asking if I want a new computer... he has a Surface Pro for work (the actual computer one that's about $2k) and keeps asking if I want the tablet version :scared1: I like bigger screens anyways. I have my MILs old laptop now, which is maybe 3 years old. It runs fine, I think DH just thinks the processor isn't good enough for me - we bought a lower one when we bought this laptop for her originally, I probably would have went with the higher one. I had to tell him again the other day that it's fine and I don't want to buy one until it dies.

Now I would like to get a cheap tablet to put on my Verizon plan, since I broke the screen on the one I had several months ago... It's only $5 to have one on there and have data on it, so I like it to take on trips in case we need a little bigger screen. Plus I like to use it for music and ebooks while traveling and at work everyday. But the one where I broke the screen... half of it doesn't respond any more :(

If the one you have is still working then I would be tempted to set aside for a few months and then purchase. Christmas is a great time to get deals on electronics.
Hugs to you
That's an excellent idea. I may relook this in November and see what sort of deals will be out. I have been thinking of the Lenovo Ideacentre All in One 520 which is now back in stock after being out of stock so I am fighting myself not to purchase! We are a two computer family, and we had a laptop and my HP, but laptop died and the HP is a real pain most of the time, always locking up, taking forever to open things spinning and spinning so it gets extremely frustrating. It's fine if you are just surfing the web and have no more than 3 browser windows open, but trying to do an Excel file or create a document, or have too many tabs open, it locks up and then I have to reboot and this is pretty much a standard thing not a once in a while occurrence. I bought it in 2012. I just replaced the family laptop with a Dell desktop, and so we do have one good functioning computer in the house. The new Dell is really for my DH and the kids, I don't feel like it's mine even though I bought it, but I bought it more for the family in general use with the idea of I'll keep using my HP. I am more attached to my HP because I wasn't really digging the laptop and didn't really ever use, but anyway.....

I also have an iPad I was given for Christmas in 2012. That also will eventually need replacing as I can't really do much on it. Scrolling down results in "a problem encountered" and locks up. So, anyway, it's fine for a quick email check (newest emails only, scroll down and get the "problem encountered" white screen) or to watch a movie from. We have enough electronics around here, just that they have about completed their lifecycle. I'm just fighting my wants right now....:)

Another Toyota owner here...
I've had my Sienna for 12 yrs. and still going strong. My only gripes are:
1. The cable for the electric sliding doors broke on one side and Toyota wanted $2200+ tax to replace it. Um, no thanks. It was still $400 just to disconnect it from the motor so it could be used manually.
2. The split 3rd row seating mechanism that makes the seats fold down flat into the floor broke on the smaller section. So I can fold the wider section flat but not all of it. :headache: They couldn't even give me an estimate; just that it would cost about $1 million/hr to troubleshoot.

At one point when my siblings and I were still living at home, we all had Toyotas. My brother had a Camry, my sister had the MR2, and I had a Supra.
I LOVED that car and sold it while very pregnant to get extra $ toward a dp on our house. :sad1: I still miss it.
The door thing happened to our Oddyssey on both sides toward the end. It was a pain but it did allow us to hang onto it a little longer. I know if DS hadn’t been in his accident we’d probably still have it this summer, but I can tell you I am way less nervous about him driving an eight year old Camry than a 14 year old falling apart minivan.

I've have great results with Dell for desktop computers. Usually, mine age out before they die. $400-600 gets me more than I need. I don't have much need for a laptop because if I'm on the go, I'd use my phone or tablet. That's just me. (Dh prefers a laptop.)
I agree that Christmas is a great time to buy and also back to school time. It's much easier to transfer your files if you buy the new one before the old one dies.:thumbsup2

For a while I was saying how I don't mind waiting a while to replace my 12 yr old car. Now Subaru is offering 0% financing on 2018 Outbacks. So I promised myself I would only consider it if I can find the exact one I want. (6 cyl with certain color combination). I searched online inventory at several dealers and of course I found one about an hour away. Dh has been on a side job for a few weekends but he is planning to take some days off work to finish it up so maybe we'll take a ride out next Saturday. I'm trying not to get excited cuz I know how I get once I smell that new car smell... :cloud9: I am so weeeak. I only have $4k saved for a car but I'd probably steal the $5k set aside for Christmas and start over with saving for Christmas.
I know I'm being bad but we typically have a snowball of $2500/month. Even with a car payment, I could still get Christmas saved in 2.5 months, end of October.

My original plan was to increase my retirement contributions by about $2k/month just for Sept-Dec 2018 to reduce our tax burden and this one little phrase derails me: 0% apr......

The door thing happened to our Oddyssey on both sides toward the end. It was a pain but it did allow us to hang onto it a little longer. I know if DS hadn’t been in his accident we’d probably still have it this summer, but I can tell you I am way less nervous about him driving an eight year old Camry than a 14 year old falling apart minivan.

AAA does wonders for your peace of mind. I think back to my late teens and early 20s of driving all over with no phone and no roadside assistance, and we were all ok. I thought nothing of driving to the shore through miles and miles in pine barrens alone at midnight in a 20 yr old car.

Breaking down on the side of the road sucks but we've all been there. It's only scary if you're driving in a bad neighborhood. :scared1:

AAA does wonders for your peace of mind. I think back to my late teens and early 20s of driving all over with no phone and no roadside assistance, and we were all ok. I thought nothing of driving to the shore through miles and miles in pine barrens alone at midnight in a 20 yr old car.

Breaking down on the side of the road sucks but we've all been there. It's only scary if you're driving in a bad neighborhood. :scared1:
Yeah, we have AAA but I still worry. He’s my baby, you know? Even if he is almost 18!

Hope you're able to resist the temptation!
I'm trying! We usually get a new car every 10 years so that we never have 2 car payments at the same time and keep taking turns. So it's been my turn since July 2016 and I have to say it feels great to have 0 car payments. Not having to pay any interest though makes it so tempting. It would make it easy to pay it down in 4 yrs without the worry that I need to pay it down faster to lower the interest paid. It would be a small dent in my snowball so I could still put an extra $1600/month into retirement.

I saw the commercial for it. I've never had a Subaru but they seem like good cars.
I never did either but they caught my eye now that they don't look like station wagons any more. My inlaws had one for years and loved it. My neighbor's mom love hers. Two of my neighbors have one and they both say they will buy another for their next car. A lady at my train station has the exact one I like and of course I had to ask her what she thinks of it, any problems with it, etc. She said she loves it and it's great in the snow.

One of the reasons I'm even considering it is because driving in the snow stresses me out so much and no matter how much snow it is, I have to get to work. This is life working at a hospital. Sometimes we sleep over though I haven't had to since my kids were born but before that I did it often. When I bought this minivan in 2006, our kids were 6 and 9 and we wanted more space for extra stuff, bikes, friends, etc. At the time, dh didn't have to go to work on snow days or he could go in late so he would drive me to the train in his 4 wheel drive truck. Within a few years of buying my car, his work started calling him in when it snows to repair the plows (he is a welder) It turned out to be great OT sometimes for continuous days at a time when it's big snow so he doesn't want to miss out. Who doesn't like 30 hrs of OT in their paycheck?
Driving in the snow tortures me and it's getting worse as I get older and I swore my next vehicle will have AWD or 4WD. I drove dh's truck in 18" a few years ago and never slid even a little bit. I was amazed. Tore through the snow like a hot knife through butter.
So putting $ into savings is very appealing but so it the idea of not stressing about driving in snow.

I'm torn. I will go read more Mr. Money Mustache. He is good for keeping my spending in check.

This part about buying stuff to make you happy is spot on!

"You may recall me cautioning you in this long-ago MMM Classic, to avoid buying yourself fancy sh*t, because the thrill of every new life upgrade – whether it is a nicer dishwasher or a faster Mercedes – always wears off, and your overall life happiness returns to exactly where it was. It’s quite an un-intuitive result, but if you watch yourself over time, you will notice it is uncannily accurate."
copied from this:
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/04/10/hacking-hedonic-adaptation/

Although in this instance, I think my "Happiness Bump" might go back up every snow day. :cloud9::drive:

Last edited:
Cute car! I have seen the Yaris on the road and it seems tiny, since we still have the (tall) boys at home, it wouldn’t work for us (yet). Is it gas-efficient? Not that I will be in the market for a new car for quite a while, we have bought two new-to-us cars in the last 18 months!
We have a Yaris as well and the cabin is actually surprisingly large. I'm 6'4" and I fit better in our Yaris than in most other cars. We had a loaner a couple weeks ago (first substantial maintenance in almost 10 years) and I kind of felt like I had to fold myself into it, not so with our Yaris.

DH got a new car last year, a Honda Jazz (you guys call it a Fit over there) and it is fantastic. He wouldn't look at it but everyone I spoke to commented on the amount of room and once he had a test drive he was totally converted. Super fuel economy too. I have the 4WD for the family and even though fuel is ok, it still chews through so much more by comparison.

Happy Friday, everyone. I’m currently at the mechanics fixing my brakes and tires. Lots of money to be spent right before a Disney World vacation...
And my Friday was nearly as costly! DD's Honda (my old gal) is having some issues. Battery cost $150. Then the DH called me on the way home from his day at work saying that the alternator had gone out in the truck. We YouTube'd that fix and it took us 2 hours and 3 trips to town, but the price for a mechanic to replace it was over $400.
Don't slap yourselves. No education is ever a waste of money.:thumbsup2 Yes, it's an "invisible" thing when it doesn't end with a degree but in a way it partly shaped him into the person he is now.
Still would slap myself. We dorked around while he was in school. Should've looked forward instead of at our shoes. He never wanted to be a teacher, but it was a convenient track for him to take. We will be saddled with this loan for a LONG time. And we will pay it off. Eventually. And it's a great teaching tool for our kids, if anything.

I was going to spring for the Halloween party on my work trip next month, but I don't think it's in the numbers now.

Hope you're able to resist the temptation!

I totally did!! :thanks:

I just read an article about how dealerships advertise specials to create a sense of urgency to get you to buy. All the while, there will be one incentive after another, and a never-ending stream of newly built cars to choose from.
I'm gonna stick to my plan and maybe buy a leftover after Jan 1. I did this with my Supra and got $7000 off the sticker price of $30k. I didn't even test drive it. Just drooled all over the showroom and left with it. :lovestruc (Really though, my dad and I had searched every Toyota dealership and finally found the color combo I wanted.)

I totally did!! :thanks:

I just read an article about how dealerships advertise specials to create a sense of urgency to get you to buy. All the while, there will be one incentive after another, and a never-ending stream of newly built cars to choose from.
I'm gonna stick to my plan and maybe buy a leftover after Jan 1. I did this with my Supra and got $7000 off the sticker price of $30k. I didn't even test drive it. Just drooled all over the showroom and left with it. :lovestruc (Really though, my dad and I had searched every Toyota dealership and finally found the color combo I wanted.)

Yep there's always going to be a deal at some point each year with the dealerships you can jump on with. So, even if you didn't do the 0% now, I'll bet in 6 months or so you'll see it again, when you are more ready to take it on. You'll probably feel better sticking to your plan of waiting it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter