Deals and discounts

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!
I'm trying to plan a February trip to both Universal and Disney. I have been lurking on this forum and everyone constantly says how much more affordable Universal is than Disney. I think I must be doing something wrong because I'm just not seeing that. Can anyone point me the cheapest way to get the following?
-2 nights hotel stay
-2 days of tickets to 2 parks (no desire to do the water park)
- express passes

There are two adults and two kids under ten. We want to stay some place that is clean with a pool that preferably has a water slide (but no slide is not a deal breaker). We have to be able to quickly walk to or easily (hopefully for free) get to the parks because we will not have a car. We don't care if it's on or off site as long as it meets this criteria.

Anytime I price this out, it is costing about $2,000. I just think it's crazy because the other 6 days of our Disney portion is costing $2,000 to stay on property with tickets.

Where can I go/what can I do to get all that I want for cheaper? Or should I give up bc that is the best I'll do?

Thanks for all of your help!

Edited: typo

Hi you have a two night hotel stay but only two days of tickets. If you stay at one of the deluxe hotels (Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay or Hard Rock) with express pass for one night, you get the express pass for the check in day and the check out day. You can check in as early as 7:00 am to get your tickets and go to the park. Your room probably won't be ready but you could leave your luggage at the desk. You could just do the one night and stay somewhere cheaper the night before. The three deluxe hotels are amazing and are worth what you are paying. Are you staying at a value in Disney for that price? To be honest you can't compare the two types of hotels for the price. The two children will qualify for the children rate and if you want to save the money you do not have to do park to park. The park to park ticket will let you ride the Hogwarts Express.

The express pass is an amazing option and it is a whole different experience when touring a park. However, you can stay on-site at Cabana Bay Beach Resort which is their value tier really reasonable with early entry but no express pass.

I have done a split stay with Disney and Universal and have enjoyed it very much. I find the park tickets cheaper than Disney.

Good luck

Hi you have a two night hotel stay but only two days of tickets. If you stay at one of the deluxe hotels (Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay or Hard Rock) with express pass for one night, you get the express pass for the check in day and the check out day. You can check in as early as 7:00 am to get your tickets and go to the park. Your room probably won't be ready but you could leave your luggage at the desk. You could just do the one night and stay somewhere cheaper the night before. The three deluxe hotels are amazing and are worth what you are paying. Are you staying at a value in Disney for that price? To be honest you can't compare the two types of hotels for the price. The two children will qualify for the children rate and if you want to save the money you do not have to do park to park. The park to park ticket will let you ride the Hogwarts Express.

The express pass is an amazing option and it is a whole different experience when touring a park. However, you can stay on-site at Cabana Bay Beach Resort which is their value tier really reasonable with early entry but no express pass.

I have done a split stay with Disney and Universal and have enjoyed it very much. I find the park tickets cheaper than Disney.

Good luck

Thank you for this! The pricing I got was for Cabana Bay, and for Moderate (POR) at Disney. This is why I am confused as to why people say Universal is more affordable than Disney.

Is there a site people use other than directly through Universal? Are there codes to use? Is there something in February that causes prices to dramatically rise at Universal?

Thank you for this! The pricing I got was for Cabana Bay, and for Moderate (POR) at Disney. This is why I am confused as to why people say Universal is more affordable than Disney.

Is there a site people use other than directly through Universal? Are there codes to use? Is there something in February that causes prices to dramatically rise at Universal?

If you are including the express pass in your price comparison, it isn't a fair comparison. Disney hotels do not give you the same express deal. Universal's has no constraints, it is unlimited and you use it whenever you want. Check out the Royal Pacific for prices that include the unlimited express pass for free.

What are your dates? If it is around any school holiday in February, prices will be higher. Booking directly, not with a package, is the best. You can buy discounted tickets at undercover tourist, or buy one seasonal pass (same price as a 3 day ticket) and then get annual pass discounts on your hotel. These discounts won't come out until late fall for February dates.

Take some time and browse through these forums for good tips on how to get the best bang for your buck.

If you are staying for 6 nights at WDW with tickets for 5 days for 4 people at POR for under 2K, that is pretty amazing. Even for 5 nights for under 2K is amazing.

One thing to remember is that as you add days onto your tickets, the cost for those days over 2 is minimal. It is the initial couple that are so pricey.

Last edited:

Yes, it would help to know what 2 days you are trying to book for. There could be a big difference in cost depending on the dates (like if you're trying to book on President's day weekend).

I'm looking at the last weekend in February (23-25).
I think I might try to get an AP and try that way. Then buy the other three tickets on Undercover Tourist. All of the other threads I'm reading don't seem to have many other solutions for discounts...

Anytime I price this out, it is costing about $2,000. I just think it's crazy because the other 6 days of our Disney portion is costing $2,000 to stay on property with tickets.

well @damo told about the express/FP comparison, but there is also another factor

you're comparing 6 days at Disney's vs. 2 days at universal.
the first couple of days are the most expensive at both resorts.
At universal you'd get a room discount for 5 nights (assuming 6 days is 5 nights in your calculations) and you don't get a room discount at Disney's.

A 5 days park to park ticket at Universal costs $294.99 (no waterpark)
A 5 days hopper ticket at Disney's costs $473.93

A 6 nights stay at POFQ (moderate) in february costs $1576 (rack rate)
A 6 nights stay at ASMo (value) same period, costs around $750
A 6 nights stay at Cabana Bay Beach (and I personnally consider it superior to POFQ in terms of ammenities) for the same period costs $741

so, a 6 nights at a moderate, 5 days of park, at Disney's, for 2A+2C costs around $3400
the same stay at a Disney value with 5 days of park will cost around $2700
the same stay at Universal (value/mod) with 5 days of park costs around $2000

so yes, compared like for like, Uni is significantly cheaper than WDW

Now, Disney has specials and deals, like 15% off accomodation if your dates are eligible, and it helps close the gap.

but if you want to make a comparison in price with Universal hotels offering Express Passes (or purchase express with a lower category hotek) you need to compare this with a Disney Deluxe hotel.
and there again, Uni is significantly less expensive than Disney's

but if you're only doing 1 or 2 nights, and 1 or 2 days at universal, you're getting the sticker shock (you'd get it with Disney too)
the first couple of days are the killers. The more you stay, the less it costs (per day)

I see pricing that weekend being comparable between Disney and Universal.

Disney At Coronado Springs (Moderate) + 2 Day Park to Park tickets = ~$1700
Universal Sapphire Falls (considered Moderate) + 2 Day Park to Park tickets ( = ~$1700

Unlimited Express Passes is the "Upcharge" here as this is something not offered at Disney for comparison sake.

So staying at RPR which includes the Unlimited Express is the added $300 difference, and you can make the decision if that perk is needed/worth the added amount.

Hey, everyone! Thank you for the comparisons. I didn't mean to offend anyone by comparing unfair vacations between the two. I'm just trying to enjoy two days at Universal for less than the $2k I'm seeing.

I guess I should have been more clear in what I was asking for- are there any ways to get discounts besides AP and using UT?

I don't think anyone took any offence (at least I didn't). I think for most we just wanted to flesh out the full details for comparison so that if someone else happened to read this thread, they had the full story for comparison sake.

I think the same level of rigor on the details would be asked if a thread like this (but in reverse) were posted within the Disney planning forums.

Hey, everyone! Thank you for the comparisons. I didn't mean to offend anyone by comparing unfair vacations between the two. I'm just trying to enjoy two days at Universal for less than the $2k I'm seeing.

I guess I should have been more clear in what I was asking for- are there any ways to get discounts besides AP and using UT?

No offence taken. We always like to clarify on this forum. It helps newcomers. The others savings is the stay more save more for stays longer than 2 days. There really aren't many discounts for short stays other than the AP discount.

No offence taken. We always like to clarify on this forum. It helps newcomers. The others savings is the stay more save more for stays longer than 2 days. There really aren't many discounts for short stays other than the AP discount.
Thanks! Still going with the last weekend in February (23-25) but could maybe be a little flexible with the weekend after.

universal posters are never offended when comparisons are done.

like damo and others stated, we just want to have the poster be aware of the facts.

the largest expenses for either the darkside or motherland stays will be those 2 days of lodging and ticket.
look at the comparison charts chmurf posted
TommyJK and damo also made a fine point.

I still want to know the secret of your great deal at POR!!!

I wish I had something good to tell you, but I just booked it online. Just looking now and the rates are way up. So maybe I just lucked out with timing? Sorry I couldn't offer up anything better!

OP, I too am looking at three nights, two days the first weekend in January...have been watching for awhile now. Disney is much more affordable but not preferable. I've done all the comparisons and realize we will probably just have to bite the bullet and book. I'm hoping for APH rates but won't know about that for a few more months. Of course, it doesn't help that for some reason that weekend airfare has sky-rocketed to boot so DH keeps asking if a long weekend is really worth the money (he'll be there for a work event prior). I know if we don't meet him there, it'll be ages before I can coax him into going again!

OP, I too am looking at three nights, two days the first weekend in January...have been watching for awhile now. Disney is much more affordable but not preferable. I've done all the comparisons and realize we will probably just have to bite the bullet and book. I'm hoping for APH rates but won't know about that for a few more months. Of course, it doesn't help that for some reason that weekend airfare has sky-rocketed to boot so DH keeps asking if a long weekend is really worth the money (he'll be there for a work event prior). I know if we don't meet him there, it'll be ages before I can coax him into going again!

four years ago i scored an ap rate in december for early january but began the stay on a weekday

this year did get the ap rate for jan 31 and following dates in february.
booked that trip in december

Prices are weirdly expensive for that weekend. I guess it is still considered part of the Christmas break?

Prices are weirdly expensive for that weekend. I guess it is still considered part of the Christmas break?
I'm guessing it's because it's the last weekend of The Harry Potter Xmas.

I just want to say thanks again to you, Macraven, Schumigirl and a few others whose insight and experience has been so invaluable. The boards here have helped me plan a previous successful vacay and hopefully my next one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter