dealing with headlice

I vacuumed the couches every day and removed ALL pillows. Basically I removed anything that could transfer lice and that also meant less to clean every day. I also washed all hair related items (brushes, combs, clips) through the dishwasher or poured boiling water on them every day. Removed all hair from the brushes every day and everyone had their own brush, absolutely no sharing.
Besides laundering the sheets every day I also had everyone sleep at alternating ends of their bed every night in case I missed any. And absolutely no sharing of pillows. I was a maniac!
My hubby was also not very good at going through my hair and I was lucky that my friend/neighbor was wiling to do it.
Are you drying the conditioner in your hair? I know those suckers can hold their breath in damp situations, the key is to suffocate them. Once the nits are laid they take 6-9 days to hatch. Once hatched, they take 7 days to mature and then they can lay eggs. If you are doing the conditioner every night and it is killing any ones that may have hatched that day you should theoretically break the cycle in 16 days, assuming you are missing the nits and they are having time to hatch.
You really need to get someone to go through your hair.
I had a dream that I was at the hair salon and I saw Nit Picking on the menu for $30. I thought that was pretty cheap!

~Laura

I dont know how to get rid of them...

But to prevent them from coming.... ive heard that if you buy Peppermint extract at the grocery store and put a few drops in your shampoo/conditioner bottles that the scent repells them. Not sure if it works but is worth a try once you get rid of them!

I read on many sites that lice dislike the smell of teatree oil. You can buy organic teatree shampoo and conditioner at most drug stores.
You can also buy just the oil and add a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner. I forgot that I had also used this shampoo and conditionr while we were delousing and for a few weeks after.

We have the same problem here in the UK !:lmao: The most common treatment is the hair conditioner one. We just buy the cheapest conditioner from Asda (Walmart) smother the hair in it and then leave it on for 10 minutes. Buy a very fine tooth nit comb. Now these are quite flimsy so we all opted for the ones you buy in a pet shop used for removing fleas from pets. They have metal teeth and are slightly finer. Comb through the hair. The eggs will come off easily and the live ones will not be able to move because of the conditioner.
Repeat the next day.

This has been by far the best way to get rid of them without the use of chemical based products.We have all been nit free for months at our school.:cheer2:

I work at Family Court and often have Ed. Neglect cases that result from headlice. We had another one recently and I learned of a new treatment product that actually dissolves the "glue" that holds the nits on the hair. It also uses no pesticides. Our local county Health Dept. gives this stuff rave reviews. It is available over the counter and can also be purchased online and at many beauty salons.

Fairy Tales Lice Good-Bye™ Mousse is a revolutionary new product to help remove lice and their eggs (nits). This is a nontoxic, pesticide free, enzyme based shampoo that is safe and effective. It has been clinically proven to dissolve nit “glue” to help parents remove lice and nits from the hair more efficiently. 1- 4 oz. bottle per order.

Eliminates Both Lice and Their Eggs (Nits)
• No harmful chemicals
• Non-toxic
• Clinically proven
• Safe for repeated applications
• 1 Plastic Egg Removal Comb Included

Make sure all stuffed animals are bagged and put away.

So so sorry. Dealt with this some years ago as well. DD came home with a full head of lice. Gave to DS, DH & yes to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!:sick: :sick: :sick:

It was bedlam for what seemed forever. I couldn't take it anymore and called pediatrician. He gave my dd medicine of some sort (can't remember the drug) but honestly I believe this is what eventually killed them all off.

with the boys it is so much easier but with girls it is a horor show. I washed and washed and washed forever.

Good Luck...I will be thinking of you tonight..

hope tomorrow is better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter