takemetothemouse

married, mom of 2 (DD 4/16 & DS 5/19)
So I am planning a 10 night stay at WDW next December. I will have 2 adults and 2 children (4 years & 18 months). I have never considered the dining plan because my daughter (4) would definitely not eat enough food to cover the costs. This visit will be different though, I won't have to pay for the DDP for my son (1.5) but he could still share that meal with my daughter.. does that make it worth it? Which plan would you recommend for our family, given the ages of my kids & the length of our trip?

to add:
We will probably do a few character meals but in my experience, for the most part, they aren't worth the extra money..
We're more hamburger & pizza kind.. Nobody in my family is really experimental when it comes to food, especially at WDW when food is sp expensive anyways. We aren't likely to chance pay $25+ for a meal that we may not like..
I want to take a couple days away from WDW and visit Seaworld & Legoland.

If you want to do character meals the regular DDP makes sense. You’d still have a quick service credit per day for pizza and hamburgers. If you’ll be away from WDW for several days it probably wouldn’t make a lot of sense for your crew. We’ve found that even with Character Meals each day (we choose breakfast for my picky 4 yo DGS) it just doesn’t pan out for us. We use more TS than QS but we don’t necessarily order full meals. While we’ve used the plan plenty of times, it doesn’t make sense when it’s just DH, DGS and me.

If you get the standard dining plan across 10 nights, you will have 30 table service credits, 30 counter service credits and 60 snacks to use across your trip.

For the character meals, you will definitely "make out" on the plan; however, you are going to be away from Disney for several nights or won't do TS across the trip, you're going to end up with a lot of extra credits. Based on what you've said, I'm not sure the plan will be right for you. You sound like you'd be at risk of losing valuable table service credits. You've got a lot of time to think about it though. I'd probably think about all the places you'd like to eat, then do the math.

I agree with previous posters. Plan what meals you would do. Crunch those numbers. I've done two trips with someone under 3, and LOVED them getting to do TS buffets for free. Winnie the Pooh characters at Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare breakfast/lunch might go over wonderfully for your kids.
Are those days at Seaworld and Legoland full days? Food at Legoland is not great (except apple fries! And I have not been since Lego Movie "Taco Tuesday" opened), and your kids ages suggest you might be done there in time to get back to Disney World for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!