DDP for kids

NYEmomma

DIS Veteran
It's been over 16 years since we've gotten the dining plan, but now all of our kids are old enough that we don't have to worry about them not being able to sit through meals and the price comparison I've done this time comes pretty close to a wash, I'm considering getting DDP for our trip.

One thing keeps tripping me up though and making me second guess myself. The kids dining plan.

It says that a non-alcoholic specialty beverage and dessert are included. Is that ONLY beverages and desserts on the kids menu? And does that include beverages that come in a specialty cup? It seems like most of the kids desserts are either a scoop of ice cream or a cup of fruit and that just doesn't appeal to my kids' sophisticated palettes -- the crave fancier types of sugar. :rolleyes:

Or do I have my understanding of DDP for kids COMPLETELY wrong?? (totally possible)

It's been over 16 years since we've gotten the dining plan, but now all of our kids are old enough that we don't have to worry about them not being able to sit through meals and the price comparison I've done this time comes pretty close to a wash, I'm considering getting DDP for our trip.

One thing keeps tripping me up though and making me second guess myself. The kids dining plan.

It says that a non-alcoholic specialty beverage and dessert are included. Is that ONLY beverages and desserts on the kids menu? And does that include beverages that come in a specialty cup? It seems like most of the kids desserts are either a scoop of ice cream or a cup of fruit and that just doesn't appeal to my kids' sophisticated palettes -- the crave fancier types of sugar. :rolleyes:

Or do I have my understanding of DDP for kids COMPLETELY wrong?? (totally possible)

Not sure about the specialty cups, but part of the reason we skipped the dining plan on our last trip was because at TS restaurants with a menu, the menu they order from HAS to match the ticket they have (so a Disney child ticket must order off the kids menu, a Disney adult ticket must order off the adult menu). Our issue was the reverse - we had a 10 year old who wouldn't touch the items on the adult menus with a ten foot pole. Paying OOP meant he could eat what he liked and not be held to the dining plan restrictions.

This won't matter when you are at the buffets, you are charged based on your age but everyone has access to the same food. And at QS locations, there is no differentiation between adult and child credits so they can just order what they want - the only thing that would matter with QS is that anyone 21+ can order an alcoholic beverage if they are available.

I think you're pretty much stuck with the kid's desserts when at a restaurant with a menu. We eat at largely buffets/dinner shows/places were every gets the same thing though.
The drinks though, I can help with. Souvenir cups are a no go. They can get the drink that comes in the souvenir glass at most TS places just in a regular cup. The servers at all of the places we ate at over Christmas made a point of showing our kids what they could have out of the drinks from the bar book on the table. They had some crazy cotton candy drink that looked like straight sugar at Artist Point, a virgin strawberry daiquiri at Ohana, etc. They had lots of slushies at QS places too. There wasn't much in the way of limits.

It can't hurt to ask about getting the adult dessert. At CRT my niece really wanted the chocolate clock dessert from the adult menu, and they brought it to her no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!