DDP, 6 People, 5 Nights, 4 TS Character Meals: AMA

TigerlilyAJ

DIS Veteran
So, my family of six, 4 Disney adults (2 old enough for alcohol), 2 children, just returned from our trip, where we had the DDP for five nights/six days, Jan 1-6, 2020. I did not keep strict track of our QS or snack charges because I knew our four TS meals, one being CRT and taking two TS credits per person, would account for so much of our total DDP costs that we would come out ahead.
I know this is not the review board, but I want to say that I enjoyed all the TS meals' food, even ones others here sniff at, like CRT.
We dined at, in order, Storybook Dining dinner (Snow White, Evil Queen, Dopey, Grumpy), CRT lunch (Snow, Jasmine, Ariel, Aurora, along with Cindy), Garden Grill breakfast (Chip, Dale, Mickey, Pluto), 1900 PF HEA dinner (Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia, Drizella). (Later, we ate OOP at the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno.)

JAN 2020 ActualTotalMinus AlcoholMinus TipMinus Tip+Alcohol
GG299.16270.53240.29225.78
Storybook432.34361.08369.83325.89
HEA 1900 PF428.01361.08343.78325.89
CRT473.66418.91473.66473.65875

We paid 2019 DDP prices, or about $360/day, which is more like $370 under current 2020 prices, or $1800 total for 5 TS meals, 5 QS meals, and 10 snacks per person. In the spreadsheet above, you can see that the total price for the 4 TS meals, taking 5 credits per person, was $1633.17. However, that includes the tip, which everyone pays OOP, on or off a plan. So without the tips, our total was $1427.56 covered by the DDP. So $375 remained to account for the QS meals and snacks.
To be conservative, I also did the costs of the meals minus the costs of drinks that people NOT on a dining plan would pay extra for, namely alcoholic drinks and nonalcoholic specialty drinks. These were listed as separate charges on my receipts, but still included with our dining credits. (But the extra charges did make our automatic 18% gratuity larger. So, you can think of the specialty/alcoholic drinks being 82% off, rather than wholly included. But the tax on them is included, saving an additional 6.5%.) If I assumed that off a dining plan, I would not let anyone get a specialty drink for extra cost, the meals would have cost $1351.22 before tip. So $450 remained to account for the QS meals and snacks.
For the record, we adults had alcohol at all four meals and were always offered a second soft drink, tea, or coffee. The kids were offered specialty drinks, and also were able to get a second soft drink or milk once they had finished the fancy drinks, which did not come with fee refills. So we all were well hydrated at these meals.
As for our 5 QS meals, well, only a couple of them were six people eating at one time. Another two were five people, and and the "not hungry" person would eat later. Again, we adults always got an adult beverage, and the kids always got specialty drinks, like root beer floats at Woody's and Moof Juice at Docking Bay 7. These were always at least $70, so at least $280 for four QS meals for five people, or 20 credits. Three credits got turned into nine snacks. A goodly 90% of our snack credits were $5+. The snacks were things like specialty cupcakes, Star Wars milks (we six shared one of each kind...and that was plenty), SW popcorn to munch at Fantasmic!, Boardwalk Bakery goods (the giant macaroon was a standout for me), ice cream novelties, turkey jerky at Ronto Roasters, peanut-butter smoothies at Landscape of Flavors, Peter Pan floats, Dole whips, and my favorite snack, the pineapple upside-down cake with Dole Whip.
Having done the DDP three years ago with five people getting credits (sixth person under 3yo) and having credits left, I relaxed my general fear of running out of credits, and let the kids basically have whatever they wanted, when they wanted it, including my bottomless-pit teen son, who probably got to use a couple of my snack credits. Neither of us went hungry.
We did a split stay, with our final couple of days spent Club Level at the Boardwalk Inn. So no DDP, since we had the Innkeeper's Lounge, but I did pay OOP for the Bon Voyage breakfast. It was a real letdown to not have drinks included, and we all stayed with the standard included drinks. Mama drank champagne at the lounge instead.
I'm sure there's more I could say, but it's all left my brain currently. AMA! (Ask me anything.)

WOW! You are good! I did a little math per day while we were there, and factored the TS meals against the total cost of the plan, as well as checking the total of the CS meals each time we ordered, and the snacks if I thought of it. I did not want to add it all up but knowing the total cost of the plan and the approximate cost of what we actually ordered was enough for em to knwo the plan was a good choice. My sister and I had two 13 YO girls with us so we ordered alcohol at every opportunity! LOL! We would have without the plan, or at least would have wanted to.

The tip hurt, but it always does. I was a server for a lot of years so I do not begrudge it but Holy Moly, Disney prices are not inexpensive so adding 18 or 20% to the final cost can pinch.

My sister and I had two 13 YO girls with us so we ordered alcohol at every opportunity! LOL! We would have without the plan, or at least would have wanted to.

I have never had alcohol at WDW before this trip, except where it was included at Mickey's Backyard BBQ, because of the cost. Including it in the plan was unexpectedly wonderful. Drinking champagne in Cinderella's castle added to the Special Event vibe of our CRT lunch. The Enchanted Apple at Storybook was just yummy. The QS drinks were sweet and cold, just a bit of fun, except the Grownup's Lemonade at Woody's, which was so good I want to make it at home. Overall, it really added to the feeling of being On Vacation and the ease of having pre-paid. I also really appreciated being able to get a regular drink with the meals so I never left a meal feeling tipsy.

I have never had alcohol at WDW before this trip, except where it was included at Mickey's Backyard BBQ, because of the cost. Including it in the plan was unexpectedly wonderful. Drinking champagne in Cinderella's castle added to the Special Event vibe of our CRT lunch. The Enchanted Apple at Storybook was just yummy. The QS drinks were sweet and cold, just a bit of fun, except the Grownup's Lemonade at Woody's, which was so good I want to make it at home. Overall, it really added to the feeling of being On Vacation and the ease of having pre-paid. I also really appreciated being able to get a regular drink with the meals so I never left a meal feeling tipsy.
I am reassured by this, I definitely want to try some alcoholic drinks with my DDP, but I am so glad they offer non alcoholic AS WELL, this was worrying me, I don't want to suffer in the sun!

Thanks TigerlillyAJ for sharing your chart and review of money spent. I was debating the cost of dining plan versus oop and have priced out our meals using the menus on Alllears.net to get a really good idea on what we would probably spend. I ended up getting "free" dining when the promo came out but we all know it is not technically free and may not be the best for every family. But the more I read other people's reviews, I think that it will indeed work best for us, and may work out a bit better than oop due to the extra snacks that we might get on the plan that we might not get paying oop.

But the more I read other people's reviews, I think that it will indeed work best for us, and may work out a bit better than oop due to the extra snacks that we might get on the plan that we might not get paying oop.
Don't discount the alcohol (unless, of course, you don't drink). I almost never drink while out because of the cost, so every meal, including QS, was a treat. I'm also not much of a pop drinker, so having the alcohol, often mixed with Powerade in the cocktails at QS offerings (Docking Bay 7, Satulii Canteen, for example), was a nice alternative.

Man, the sticker shock on some of those meals! This is why we get the dining plan. It just makes you feel better when on vacation. You can still break even or even save a little bit of money if you pick the right places.

Man, the sticker shock on some of those meals! This is why we get the dining plan. It just makes you feel better when on vacation. You can still break even or even save a little bit of money if you pick the right places.

I just did the math and Akershus would be $342 for our group! Or we can spend like $10 more for that day and have the dining plan. I added costs for our sit down meals we've chosen and assumed $4 per snack credit. We only have to average $9 per quick service credit to make it worth it. And that's assuming no alcohol since they didn't list prices on the menu in a lot of places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter