DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Morning all. Have to work this week with daily 144 mile commute. Ugh. And, I'll miss World Cup matches.

Back home from a real nice trip. It’s as hot here as it was in FL so got that going for us :headache: Looking forward to getting back to work this week and catching up, yea right. Seems like all is well around here - cheers

Welcome home. Now get to work.

Odd weekend for me. I heard about 2 untimely deaths. First was a neighbor from my youth who was several years younger. I remember when his parents adopted him as a toddler and watched him grow up. Hadn't seen him in 25 years but he passed away unexpectedly at 47. The second was a gentleman from another forum I visit occasionally. He hadn't posted in a couple of weeks and I just found out he passed away in a hiking accident at 50 or 51. His secretary has been trying to reach out and finally managed to get access to his account to let us know.

A reminder that I need to update my notebook where I keep my passwords and logins and see what else I need to check on just in case.

Sorry to hear about your friends. As for the travel, it won't be anytime soon before we stop traveling and wasting time for pointless meetings. What justification would you have for five layers of management drawing terrific salaries?

So you're the one! Pretty cool though. How dramatic was it?

Huh!
I'll just stick to eating pickles. You can have the balls.

The yeti was cool, but didn't make or break the ride. It enhanced the screams of those on the ride, to hear and SEE the yeti. As for pickleball, I was skeptical at first. But, after playing for a short time, it is really fun. If you like playing ping pong or badminton on vacation or a family gathering, then you would enjoy Pickleball as well.

Hey guys, I unplugged for a few days. Took Thursday and Friday off work, so it was nice to have a break from the office...sort of...see below. Lots to report on.

DD11 had her grade 6 "leaving ceremony" Thursday morning. She's off to Junior High next year. I went through those years with on DD. I'm not really looking forward to it again.
Worst thing with the ceremony is that my phone started blowing up right before. I had it on silent and refused to answer it - family comes first. But just knowing something was up distracted me from enjoying the ceremony as much as I should have. I ended up having to leave the school and beeline for the office right after. Spent 3 hours of my "day off" in the office. I took the hours back this morning and came in late to work.

DD19 left for the Dominican Republic Friday. I mentioned this a couple months back. Her and a few friends are enjoying a week on the beach while they are young and *think* they can afford it. We had a chat with her about being careful down there.
Her first flight was to Toronto and she was excited to get WestJet's Frozen plane (a bit strange since it wasn't flying them to Florida though). @pkondz I'll have to try posting this in your TR too. I thought it was funny since you had recently mentioned seeing it. As you will notice in the picture, they were also happy to be escaping the lovely RDF we had all weekend (rain, drizzle, fog)

The rest of the weekend I just spend doing a bit of yard work in between the drizzle.

If anyone needed to catch up, Jeff's leaking and needs to see a urologist.
As for my AC with the dye in the coolant, I have not noticed any red tide in the driveway as of yet. I can only assume the leak is small-ish but I'm sure it's there. At least the AC works for now.
And the urologist would have been cheaper. If only he fixed ACs.

Back to day to day uncertainty - what a great way to run anything.
Not easy for sure. Hope for the best.

Well, I was catching up, but actually reading. Seems like $1100 for brakes is awful expensive. Wish you were down here Jeff...doing brakes isn't hard and even with new rotors and pads, should be maybe $500 parts and a couple hours of work.
It's not cheap, but I had them done before and it was around the same cost.
Parts were $361 for the front and $384 for the back. Mind you that's in Canadian, so that's about $12.56 US.
OK, it's actually $272 and $290 US, so not far off from what you thought. Prices are bound to be a bit more up here, plus it's a Toyota Sienna minivan, I suppose that would make it a touch more.
The thing that kills you is the labor. They charged me 2.5 hours at $135/hour. if I had a shred of mechanical ability, that's where I would save money.

Right. That’s it. I’m calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. Last one standing in the Tambu Lounge after a backscratcher marathon gets to take Princess Leia home. And let me tell ya boys, we aiming for the small exhaust port, right below the main port. Make sure you don’t just impact on the surface.
Nice one.
Although I'm shocked to learn Princess Leia likes it in the small exhaust port.

I'm not sure as it may just be another tactic to curtail my romantic advances.
My wife hasn't come up with this excuse yet. As if she needs something else.

MK: 7 Dwarfs, Big Thunder, Splash Mtn
Epcot: Test Track, Spaceship Earth, ?
AK: Navi River Journey, Dinosaur, Ex. Everest
HS: Slinky, Star Tours, ?
I found the tiers at Epcot and HS hard to work around too.
Maybe Mission Space at Epcot?
I got Muppetvision at DHS, which was basically a throw away.

Big travel day tomorrow as I head off to Yellowknife in the North West Territories for a couple of days of meetings. Need to fly all the way to Vancouver and then back to Yellowknife. This trip will allow my to check another part of the country off my list. I'll check off all the provinces and 2 of the 3 territories.
I have never been to the territories. Would be interesting.
After university I did a few months work for a mining company in northern Labrador, so I've been fairly far north, just not in the Yukon, NWT or Nunavut. I probably never will
Have any of you used rover.com for pet sitting?
Never tried that. We've only had a cat for a year and a half now so haven't had a need to use a sitter. Not sure where I would look for one. I know DW is in a local Facebook group for cats, so she would probably ask for recommendations there.

It enhanced the screams of those on the ride, to hear and SEE the yeti
I have been on EE a few times and I really never notice the Yeti. It seems to go by so fast. I always wonder if I would even notice it moving.

The yeti was cool, but didn't make or break the ride. It enhanced the screams of those on the ride, to hear and SEE the yeti
I bet!
I think now, most people (newbies at least) don't even see the Yeti.
As for pickleball, I was skeptical at first. But, after playing for a short time, it is really fun. If you like playing ping pong or badminton on vacation or a family gathering, then you would enjoy Pickleball as well.
Huh. Might have to look into that. Then again... with my back, my "sporting" days are behind me.
DD11 had her grade 6 "leaving ceremony" Thursday morning. She's off to Junior High next year.
Uh, oh...
I went through those years with on DD. I'm not really looking forward to it again.
Yeah... You know. Might be better. Might not be. Either way...
I ended up having to leave the school and beeline for the office right after. Spent 3 hours of my "day off" in the office.
:sad2:
DD19 left for the Dominican Republic Friday. I mentioned this a couple months back. Her and a few friends are enjoying a week on the beach while they are young and *think* they can afford it.
Ah yes... I remember those days. :)
We had a chat with her about being careful down there.
Good! Been hearing some stories...
Her first flight was to Toronto and she was excited to get WestJet's Frozen plane (a bit strange since it wasn't flying them to Florida though). @pkondz I'll have to try posting this in your TR too. I thought it was funny since you had recently mentioned seeing it. As you will notice in the picture, they were also happy to be escaping the lovely RDF we had all weekend (rain, drizzle, fog)
How cool is that! I'm kinda jealous. :)

Afternoon chaps from an overcast and relatively humid London. Lego towers for another half hour or so.

Nice one.
Although I'm shocked to learn Princess Leia likes it in the small exhaust port.
Apparently it's the only way to get a proper explosion.
And, I'll miss World Cup matches.
Cameroon v England was a fun game to watch for the drama.
she was excited to get WestJet's Frozen plane
That's pretty cool mate
She's off to Junior High next year.
….and the fun begins :thumbsup2

The Frozen Maelstrom is now my favorite at Epcot. Soaring was ruined with the refurb as the buildings bend so bad in some of the seats. Drinking around the world is fun too.

I agree--the new Soarin' is lousy. The curvy buildings pull you out of the illusion, and they were too busy making bad CGI creatures jump out at you to remember to make you feel like you were actually, you know, soarin'.

Odd weekend for me. I heard about 2 untimely deaths. First was a neighbor from my youth who was several years younger. I remember when his parents adopted him as a toddler and watched him grow up. Hadn't seen him in 25 years but he passed away unexpectedly at 47. The second was a gentleman from another forum I visit occasionally. He hadn't posted in a couple of weeks and I just found out he passed away in a hiking accident at 50 or 51. His secretary has been trying to reach out and finally managed to get access to his account to let us know.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that.

Have any of you used rover.com for pet sitting? My MIL used to take care of our pets and house when we left town but she passed away a few weeks ago so we need to figure out a way to get them cared for.

I'm sorry for your loss. Don't have pets, so I can't help you on the pet sitting problem.

DD19 left for the Dominican Republic Friday.

Hope she travels safely. The DR headlines have been...uncomfortable lately.

Parts were $361 for the front and $384 for the back. Mind you that's in Canadian, so that's about $12.56 US.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Reminds me of a bit I saw on TSM a few years ago:

000pHLJw7XNlPEql-0wug6UeNggiyrvB9_NrH-AQlnD7X-XaasM3meKUD74eDE5ssg_dYIIj2YVrDx4P_pOri48E-r1UCB9e7PlCimbYsN8pbJqcDvIiBu9nRFWFJjMokkGCaTqUrwS0OAKg4XiuPJ0aWlFPVwxgpBot3siru8fd45kCg5aW3fWvSiw85mqN0YB0Z1laI7TFMpr4Hff_jKzf2M9-R8VyE1FM8gq0fMUPMUAAOeMkci3ODzncbeZmT9IpDiCtSYt2ngluP7mup87rjMydRTuhc1ZPy8XyFf5QCWfS6uq2NvIwwXQY4YricTN34tj9DIqZXvEk_nOXEjJDdnB_EFZOG3GqsKKPehgQUl0geQvRsAyCu3rGR7NZogRTDaCO_Ih1oqR3-wRCC-rF8l4Agsa52f1Lb-_yJOdyjwHZxlpBy8cqC2gPaqt421NLN-8vE84Ih7QUUif5nglNA0eUexSA85k3qboa2KqBOoSq3wVD8tl4Uh0PzRXa254tlP01qJKbeg1iwygSVE6vwPVyPCKlW3sppRRcMCSIBI9yIGUX4NYvKhmELyFsF_uxdo1cDYYnqKwmJ3xCMd-WXcfi4ic1oF0gvINYRCq1TcFZT8GYs6LdHQREzmHCQL33m1B8qGko3mAKnhKsYhquKZiPzcpc=w1211-h807-no

I found the tiers at Epcot and HS hard to work around too.

The tiers suck. Period.

Well, that was a fun night. Got a call just after 10 p.m. that one of my on-call staff was driving erratically, slurring his speech on the radio, and almost sideswiped a car in his state vehicle. I got to run out in the middle of the night to meet a policeman and then have this guy and his truck picked up and then have him drug tested.

Very uncomfortable. there were conversations about cancelling, but in the end we all decided if you are smart and careful, the risk would be relatively low. They did cancel an offsite excursion and are only staying on the resort for the week.

I know I'd feel better about that arrangement, for sure.

Morning, gents.

Well, that was a fun night. Got a call just after 10 p.m. that one of my on-call staff was driving erratically, slurring his speech on the radio, and almost sideswiped a car in his state vehicle. I got to run out in the middle of the night to meet a policeman and then have this guy and his truck picked up and then have him drug tested.
:eek:
Not good!

Top O the Mornin Dads! Nothing of significance around here so have a good one.
Oh that sucks - nice mess you'll have to clean up over the next couple of days

Not good. I suspect you will have plenty of reports and red tape to sort through

Not good!

Oh that sucks - nice mess you'll have to clean up over the next couple of days

Not good. I suspect you will have plenty of reports and red tape to sort through

The best part was that our policy requires us to call HR before sending the individual for testing. We tried repeatedly to call all 3 listed contacts and no one ever answered the phone, so we did the best we could. Talked to HR this morning and they admitted that their policy for after-hours incidents was to "pray we never get a call". :sad2:

Afternoon brothers from a humid London.

DS had sports day this morning, so over the local stadium for that for cheering on the general running, jumping and such-like.

It was FP day today so it shaped up as.....

Weds/Thursday/Friday at Hard Rock Hotel in the Dark Side doing Harry Potter (with the Hard Rock we get the Express pass thingy)

Arrive Poly Saturday lunchtime, then our MK Greatest Hits (Haunted Mansion, Splash, Its a small World and Peter Pan) dinner on Trader Sams Terrace or the Tambu Lounge
Sunday - Lunch at Homecomin in Disney Springs and a wander/chill (we've never been to ESPN so may go)
Monday MK - Big Thunder, 7DMT and Splash (I cannot get the boy on Space M yet)
Tuesday - Pool hang in the morning, then Halloween Party (do you have to do FP's for the rides?)
Weds - Garden Grill Breakfast, then Soarin/Mission Space/Spaceship Earth and then Food & Wine general gluttony
Thurs - Pool hang in morning, then Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Splash and then the Dessert party for HEA
Fri - Late one in AK to do the late Safari, FOP and Pandora in the dark, and I think some dinner at Nomad Lounge
Sat - Kona Breakfast (our tradition on the last day) stop in to 'bye to the castle and then pick the car up and off to St Petes for a few days to decompress, fly home Friday.

No DHS. Swerving. We'll see Toy Story and SW when it all calms down.

The best part was that our policy requires us to call HR before sending the individual for testing. We tried repeatedly to call all 3 listed contacts and no one ever answered the phone, so we did the best we could. Talked to HR this morning and they admitted that their policy for after-hours incidents was to "pray we never get a call". :sad2:
Good policy. :rolleyes1
The tiers suck. Period.
Particularly for the amount of rides there are at Epcot, it's not like there are a ton to choose from, and you are taking 2 of Soarin/Frozen/TT out. Bad darts.
They did cancel an offsite excursion and are only staying on the resort for the week.
That sounds like a sensible plan.

Have a good day chaps.

Talked to HR this morning and they admitted that their policy for after-hours incidents was to "pray we never get a call". :sad2:
SOooooooo Typical :sad2:
Afternoon brothers from a humid London.

DS had sports day this morning, so over the local stadium for that for cheering on the general running, jumping and such-like.

It was FP day today so it shaped up as.....

Weds/Thursday/Friday at Hard Rock Hotel in the Dark Side doing Harry Potter (with the Hard Rock we get the Express pass thingy)

Arrive Poly Saturday lunchtime, then our MK Greatest Hits (Haunted Mansion, Splash, Its a small World and Peter Pan) dinner on Trader Sams Terrace or the Tambu Lounge
Sunday - Lunch at Homecomin in Disney Springs and a wander/chill (we've never been to ESPN so may go)
Monday MK - Big Thunder, 7DMT and Splash (I cannot get the boy on Space M yet)
Tuesday - Pool hang in the morning, then Halloween Party (do you have to do FP's for the rides?)
Weds - Garden Grill Breakfast, then Soarin/Mission Space/Spaceship Earth and then Food & Wine general gluttony
Thurs - Pool hang in morning, then Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Splash and then the Dessert party for HEA
Fri - Late one in AK to do the late Safari, FOP and Pandora in the dark, and I think some dinner at Nomad Lounge
Sat - Kona Breakfast (our tradition on the last day) stop in to 'bye to the castle and then pick the car up and off to St Petes for a few days to decompress, fly home Friday.

No DHS. Swerving. We'll see Toy Story and SW when it all calms down.
Nice over two week excursion you got there. No to FP for MNSSHP. For desert party are you doing the one where you partake of the deserts and then go sit in the hub to watch or stay seated in the terrace to watch?
Morning Guys,

Recovering from a ling day of travel, about 14 hours total and 4 time zones in one day. Landed about 10:30 pm local time last night and this is what it looked like.

View attachment 411631

Pretty cool but I don't think I will get a good viewing of the Northern Lights on this trip.

Have a good one all.
Not sure how to fall asleep when it's that light out at 10:30? Safe travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!