DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Is that the sequel to Moulin Rouge? ;)

I know you're joking, but I just stopped and thought about it...
Technically it's the sequel to episode 3, but yet the prequel to episode 4.

I'm just glad it was (WAY) better than the force awakens. I'm a big SW fan, but I was thoroughly disappointed with the force awakens. Seemed like just the same plot with different characters and much more unbelievable/unreasonable elements. I almost didn't go see rogue one because that (force awakens) was so bad to me. I realize I may not be in the majority...dunno...maybe I am...just thinking out loud. On the other hand, my DS convinced me to see rogue one because he said he felt it was the best one ever and I'm glad I did.

Big night tonight. Descendants 2 premiere on Disney channel . DD has been talking about it for months. She's 9 so it's a big deal for her. Of course I'm watching it with her. I've already picked out the snacks (wings and mozzarella sticks, a few chocolate raisins to balance it out). Yes it's a Friday and I'm looking forward to watching a kids movie, but considering my 17 year old is barely home these days, it's nice to just spend time with your kid. Plus any excuse to sit my butt on the couch, eat junk and drink a few adult beverages is fine with me.

We had a wonderful dinner at Kona with Dan, his wife, and two children. He has a terrific family. Or, excellently disguised
Sounds great. Liking the "convention" pictures. Enjoy!

I'm just glad it was (WAY) better than the force awakens. I'm a big SW fan, but I was thoroughly disappointed with the force awakens. Seemed like just the same plot with different characters and much more unbelievable/unreasonable elements. I almost didn't go see rogue one because that (force awakens) was so bad to me. I realize I may not be in the majority...dunno...maybe I am...just thinking out loud. On the other hand, my DS convinced me to see rogue one because he said he felt it was the best one ever and I'm glad I did.
I agree with you on Rogue One, I didn't have too high hopes for it but it was well done.

I actually enjoyed TFA though. I get the criticism and I kind of agree, it just didn't bother me. I guess I was just happy it wasn't the prequels again.

'Morning all...
Well, everyone on this continent at least. some of ya' have been up a while.
Let's get through this one and declare it the weekend.
and the sooner the better.

Was the career path Independently Wealthy Philanthropist. That's the one I keep hoping for.
That's the one we all want.
But as the Stones say...

Oh, and while I'm at it, good to see you drop in sir.
Always like it when long time members drop by for a spell.

I have a couple of stand up indoor / outdoor oscillating models picked up at Home Depot last year. I have a couple of outdoor outlets for the grill and suck things. Run an extension cord under the mulch to get power away from the house to plug these in. When it's just me they are not oscillating so I can stay pretty comfortable. In addition we have a couple of smaller ones that are used for house boats and campers and such that sit good on the ground or patio furniture end tables. If I remember I'll post a pic or two later.
Simple and straight forward; got the idea.
Mostly I was curious to see if you'd come across something specifically designed for deck/patio use that I was unaware of.

Give me a break, it was past my bedtime. Good comeback though.
It's usually the spell checker that hobbles me like that.
Well, that or booze.

Booze is a better excuse.
Certainly the side effects are more enjoyable.

Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing well. I was stuck in a conference in Des Moines, Iowa all week, and got home a day late due to flight delays. That's a weird city. The whole town basically shuts down after 5 pm.

We do the high speed internet and wifi for the family with Netflix. No cable tv, just new digital antenna. I found that i hate watching commercials. So, i miss sports, but nothing else.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll tinker with some of the searches later on.

I took a quick look at the current 100-films list though - and surprise, surprise - nothing in their top-20 was recent and few of them were even from the past ten years (A complaint I've had with films for quite some time now).

Haven't tried Netflix yet. I do have Amazon Prime (mostly to get free shipping) but I have used it to watch some movies and a couple of TV shows. The kids are Dr. Who fans (I just can't get into that one) and they've watched quite a bit there.

I keep thinking I should cut the cord but I'm too weak to lose out on live sports. That's where they got me.

I agree with you on Rogue One, I didn't have too high hopes for it but it was well done.

I actually enjoyed TFA though. I get the criticism and I kind of agree, it just didn't bother me. I guess I was just happy it wasn't the prequels again.

I liked both. I do understand the criticism that TFA was basically A New Hope with different characters. But I think that was somewhat intentional--I think they were trying to send a message to everyone burned by the prequels that, "Hey, we're back to being Star Wars again." What I liked about it was the new characters, the old characters (seriously, this was the first time Harrison Ford was awake in a movie in about 20 years), and just the sense of fun and adventure that was back.

Rogue One started slow, but that third act was fantastic. And maybe the best Darth Vader scene ever.

We had a wonderful dinner at Kona with Dan, his wife, and two children. He has a terrific family. Or, excellently disguised Mi6 operatives. :lmao:

Kona is a great dinner glad you guys got to meet up.

Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing well. I was stuck in a conference in Des Moines, Iowa all week, and got home a day late due to flight delays. That's a weird city. The whole town basically shuts down after 5 pm.

I keep thinking I should cut the cord but I'm too weak to lose out on live sports. That's where they got me.

I liked both. I do understand the criticism that TFA was basically A New Hope with different characters. But I think that was somewhat intentional--I think they were trying to send a message to everyone burned by the prequels that, "Hey, we're back to being Star Wars again." What I liked about it was the new characters, the old characters (seriously, this was the first time Harrison Ford was awake in a movie in about 20 years), and just the sense of fun and adventure that was back.

Hope you had fun in Des Moines Did you get a chance to eat at the Machine Shed or Zombie Burger?

Sigh with sports at least you haven't cut the cord for a manly reason. We still haven't cut the cord because Rach want to be able to watch hallmark movies. Recently we've been watching the Donna Reed Show of amazon for most of our family viewing. We bought season 2 on DVD so we can watch/listen to it on the way to Florida.

I agree that they were very purposeful in making TFA so close to the a New Hope. I think it was resetting to set a new foundation based on the successes of the original movies. I think it bodes well for all the things that are to come.

You weren't the only one. I was so disappointed in TFA that i didn't go see Rogue or Rouge in the theater. Parts of the prequels were ok. I liked that Jedi used their powers, and the light saber battles were excellent, especially that double from Darth Maul.

Hey guys,

Rogue One started slow, but that third act was fantastic. And maybe the best Darth Vader scene ever.

Followed your trip on Facebook, if you can call it that. My home.town isn't much better, although i think out streets stay open to about 10, which is still paat my bedtime.

Hey guys,

Ouch. Was it the "let's see how bored we can be after the conference" conference? :lmao:

BTW: Good to have you back!

Haven't tried Netflix yet. I do have Amazon Prime (mostly to get free shipping) but I have used it to watch some movies and a couple of TV shows. The kids are Dr. Who fans (I just can't get into that one) and they've watched quite a bit there.

That was really the only thing I missed (well okay discovery channel also). I've been watching games on reddit streams and although it can be problematic at times, it's way better than paying the cable companies. I guess the main problem I have with cable companies is they were INVENTED/ADVERTISED to get away from commercials. It started out that way and then they started doing commercials too. So, let me get this straight, I pay you to supposedly get commercial free viewing and you're getting revenue from advertisers? No thanks!!! Same reason I have multiple ad blockers on my browser...I want the content, not the ads. Maybe it's just me.

I liked seeing Solo, liked seeing Luke. Too bad we couldn't have seen Leia without it being CG :sad:
Things I didn't care for (sorry, it's a longer list) and hoping it doesn't start a war on here:
Kylo Ren - Darth wannabee and if you're going to want to be menacing, don't take off the mask
Stormtrooper defector - No way he can even begin to battle against Kylo Ren and not be toast in 2 seconds
I can see the girl because she's already demonstrated she has force ability albeit not under control yet
The sun killer - I can handle the death star, but a planet that sucks up the power of the sun, no!
Also, that will kill every planet in the system (no sun, planets die) not just storing the power to kill one planet they want to target.
The battle with the fighters had multiple instances/maneuvers where there was NO way that could've been done
BB8 - The idea of a rolling droid just didn't sit well with me. What advantage could that have over other droids that would result in it being designed to begin with?
I cannot see a metal ball being able to get any kind of traction/momentum on anything other than a very flat, very tacky surface.
Seems like there were a couple other things, but I think I've successfully managed to forget enough details of it

Agreed...that scene left me breathing wow multiple times.

I figured out a way to prevent both girls from asking for stuff while teaching them to budget money. We gave them a $50 limit on their Magic Bands. Now, they don't want to spend money on anything. :lmao:

That looks like a group planning on gettign into trouble.
Looks like they just drug Norm out of the pool for the photo, or he found a way to have a sweat ring start at the bottom.

My girls wanted to go to the quiet salt water pool. We had just gotten out of the water to eat lunch when i checked my phone and saw everyone else was at Lava. So yes, i just got out of the water and went over for the convention.

Seems another fight broke out over on the FB group. Should we try to start some infighting over here?

Sorry Cj I just couldn't resist that one.

Hey, I would have played that card. Kind of funny.

ig night tonight. Descendants 2 premiere on Disney channel . DD has been talking about it for months. She's 9 so it's a big deal for her. Of course I'm watching it with her. I've already picked out the snacks (wings and mozzarella sticks, a few chocolate raisins to balance it out). Yes it's a Friday and I'm looking forward to watching a kids movie, but considering my 17 year old is barely home these days, it's nice to just spend time with your kid. Plus any excuse to sit my butt on the couch, eat junk and drink a few adult beverages is fine with me.

Never seen Descendants and have no desire to see it. But then again my kid is in her twenties. Sounds like a good evening you have planned.

It's usually the spell checker that hobbles me like that.
Well, that or booze.

Booze is a better excuse.
Certainly the side effects are more enjoyable.

I invoke my 5th Amendment rights on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.

Followed your little saga getting out of Iowa. I admit I am a bad person because I chuckled a bit. How was the corn?

I'm right with you. College football is coming up and my Saturdays are spent with my skinny butt placed comfortably on the couch.

I liked both.

Same here.

Sigh with sports at least you haven't cut the cord for a manly reason.

Man card confirmed. A side note, what are you running Marathon Weekend?

I figured out a way to prevent both girls from asking for stuff while teaching them to budget money. We gave them a $50 limit on their Magic Bands. Now, they don't want to spend money on anything. :lmao:

Very good idea/plan. I think I will steal(err borrow) that one. :thanks:

Always funny how that works.

Seems another fight broke out over on the FB group. Should we try to start some infighting over here?

Some people just need to let it go or deal with it privately.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Have a good weekend all, even the guys at DaWorld, jealous. In case Dan does not make it to call the day (at DaWorld) Rob has pretty much called it, so unless Dan has a better idea I say we hit Trader Sam's Grog Grotto and join the rest of the fellas.
On an unrelated note...

4 days until FP selections.
Good luck, hope you get everything you want and when you want them
Rouge One is now on Netflix. My entertainment tonight,
Not a bad plan.
Big night tonight. Descendants 2 premiere on Disney channel . DD has been talking about it for months. She's 9 so it's a big deal for her. Of course I'm watching it with her. I've already picked out the snacks (wings and mozzarella sticks, a few chocolate raisins to balance it out). Yes it's a Friday and I'm looking forward to watching a kids movie, but considering my 17 year old is barely home these days, it's nice to just spend time with your kid. Plus any excuse to sit my butt on the couch, eat junk and drink a few adult beverages is fine with me.
Even a better plan, sorry CJ his includes his DD so tops you just a bit
'Morning all...
Well, everyone on this continent at least. some of ya' have been up a while.
Best idea so far!

I'm ready, let's go...too early yet?

I guess Dan is too busy budgie smuggling with Norm to call it this weekend. And I have no where to go but my couch tonight. But that's OK. I'll get to Trader Sam's one day...

I liked seeing Solo, liked seeing Luke. Too bad we couldn't have seen Leia without it being CG :sad:
Things I didn't care for (sorry, it's a longer list) and hoping it doesn't start a war on here:
Kylo Ren - Darth wannabee and if you're going to want to be menacing, don't take off the mask
Stormtrooper defector - No way he can even begin to battle against Kylo Ren and not be toast in 2 seconds
I can see the girl because she's already demonstrated she has force ability albeit not under control yet
The sun killer - I can handle the death star, but a planet that sucks up the power of the sun, no!
Also, that will kill every planet in the system (no sun, planets die) not just storing the power to kill one planet they want to target.
The battle with the fighters had multiple instances/maneuvers where there was NO way that could've been done
BB8 - The idea of a rolling droid just didn't sit well with me. What advantage could that have over other droids that would result in it being designed to begin with?
I cannot see a metal ball being able to get any kind of traction/momentum on anything other than a very flat, very tacky surface.
Seems like there were a couple other things, but I think I've successfully managed to forget enough details of it
No wars on this page :)
I can't disagree with anything you said. All perfectly valid. I guess for me it's like Mark said, I was just glad to have some fun and adventure back in the franchise, instead of midichlorians, monologues on sand, and council meetings (I don't care how many ET's you sneak in there, that was not fun to sit through).

I figured out a way to prevent both girls from asking for stuff while teaching them to budget money. We gave them a $50 limit on their Magic Bands. Now, they don't want to spend money on anything.
Neat trick. We need MagicBands outside of Disney. Well, I suppose you can put limits on kids bank cards. Until they turn 18 I guess.:eek:

Sound like a good plan to me. My girls are out of town this week so I am going to record it so we can watch it Sunday.

On an unrelated note...

4 days until FP selections.
happy dance time...:dancer::jumping1:

Hope you had fun in Des Moines Did you get a chance to eat at the Machine Shed or Zombie Burger?

I did make it to Zombie Burger. Great place! Really good burgers. Plus beer-battered fries and I had a Cinnamon Toast Crunch milkshake. Took 5 years off my life, but it was worth it.

Sigh with sports at least you haven't cut the cord for a manly reason. We still haven't cut the cord because Rach want to be able to watch hallmark movies. Recently we've been watching the Donna Reed Show of amazon for most of our family viewing. We bought season 2 on DVD so we can watch/listen to it on the way to Florida.

Well...um...I'm sure the Hallmark Channel has some quality programming too.

I agree that they were very purposeful in making TFA so close to the a New Hope. I think it was resetting to set a new foundation based on the successes of the original movies. I think it bodes well for all the things that are to come.

I'm sure it also had to do with the fact that Disney paid $4 billion, so they were playing it VERY safe with their first foray into the Star Wars world.

Followed your trip on Facebook, if you can call it that. My home.town isn't much better, although i think out streets stay open to about 10, which is still paat my bedtime.

Too many people stay out late anyway. And get off my lawn!

Ouch. Was it the "let's see how bored we can be after the conference" conference? :lmao:

BTW: Good to have you back!

Thanks! Good to be back.

And yes, there was a lot of time spent hoping HBO was showing a good movie in the hotel room. I did get to see an Iowa Cubs AAA baseball game one night.

If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. No judgment.

For me, I don't think too hard about realism in Star Wars movies. I mean, there's no sound in space, you wouldn't actually be able to dodge laser beams being shot at you because they'd travel at the speed of light, the Force is made up and has completely arbitrary rules depending on the scene, etc., etc. If they have a cute rolling robot, cool. It's fun.

I have my own opinions on the FB group lately, but mostly I'm thankful to still have this place. Let's keep it sane.

Followed your little saga getting out of Iowa. I admit I am a bad person because I chuckled a bit. How was the corn?

That was just what I needed--more airplane headaches. I skipped the corn in favor of burgers, milkshakes, pulled pork, and beer. I do not regret this decision.

I'm right with you. College football is coming up and my Saturdays are spent with my skinny butt placed comfortably on the couch.

::yes::

Pro football for me. Plus my beloved hapless Philadelphia sports teams.

Thanks! Good to be back.

And yes, there was a lot of time spent hoping HBO was showing a good movie in the hotel room. I did get to see an Iowa Cubs AAA baseball game one night.
That would've made the whole week for me. I'm a Cubbies fan...I'm sure you couldn't tell from my Icon/status/signature/whatever it's called. :lmao:
I think Schwarber was recalled prior to that, but would've been cool to see some of the other guys that either are or were sent down to Iowa.

If you didn't like it, you didn't like it. No judgment.

For me, I don't think too hard about realism in Star Wars movies. I mean, there's no sound in space, you wouldn't actually be able to dodge laser beams being shot at you because they'd travel at the speed of light, the Force is made up and has completely arbitrary rules depending on the scene, etc., etc. If they have a cute rolling robot, cool. It's fun.

Ya know, although I've been a Disdad longer than my number (since I didn't know about Disdads until recently), I'm glad I found y'all. Good group of guys here. Some folks get really ridiculous if your opinion isn't the same as theirs and I've always thought there are much more important things in life to worry about than whether I loved/liked/disliked/hated a movie. Although I'm late to the party, good to be associated with y'all!!!! :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!