DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Thanks pkondz, really up in the air here on what to get. Kind of waiting for Doc to chime in...
Wasn't expecting that...was trying to stay out of it so the other guys could chime in.

I've made my feelings about windoze very clear. I'm not a mac fanboi, but what I do like about them is they just work. Bought one for wife years ago because she kept crashing her system and then calling me at work thinking I could fix it. After several unsuccessful tries to tell her I have to be at the system vs over the phone, I finally gave up and got her the mac.

If you're just surfing and email and such, a low end PC with Linux would work as well. What I love about Linux is I can do more with a low end PC than most folks can do with wondoze on a high end PC. What I mean is Linux is way more efficient and not a memory/cpu/disk hog like windoze.

There are several variants of Linux that are user friendly even for a non IT person and I'd be happy to help you. Not trying to convert you, but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised in what you could save in both hardware and software costs.

Edit:
One of the main reasons I don't like wondoze is they've designed it to try to do everything and when that happens, it tends to do all of them poorly. It also makes it much less secure and more prone to viruses and attacks. Both mac and Linux are much less prone to viruses/trojans/etc. and don't require you to reboot constantly.

Last edited:
Wasn't expecting that...was trying to stay out of it so the other guys could chime in.

I've made my feelings about windoze very clear. I'm not a mac fanboi, but what I do like about them is they just work. Bought one for wife years ago because she kept crashing her system and then calling me at work thinking I could fix it. After several unsuccessful tries to tell her I have to be at the system vs over the phone, I finally gave up and got her the mac.

If you're just surfing and email and such, a low end PC with Linux would work as well. What I love about Linux is I can do more with a low end PC than most folks can do.with wondoze on a high end PC. What I mean is Linux is way more efficient and not a memory/cpu/disk hog like windoze.

There are several variants of Linux that are user friendly even for a non IT person and I'd be happy to help you. Not trying to convert you, but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised in what you coukd save in bothhardwarwas e and software costs.

Edit:
One of the main reasons I don't like wondoze is they've designed it to try to do everything and when that happens, it tends to do all of them poorly. It also makes it much less secure and more prone to viruses and attacks. Both mac and Linux are much less prone to viruses/trojans/etc. and don't require you to reboot constantly.

Thanks Doc, is the hardware for Linux the same as windows?

Thanks Doc, is the hardware for Linux the same as windows?
Yes sir...many people mistakenly equate PC with windows. PC can (and does) run MANY different operating systems with windows being just one.

Again...with Linux, you can use much cheaper(slower or not top end) hardware. There are many mom and pop shops that put PCs together for low cost and are great for this purpose. On the other hand, if you get higher end hardware, then Linux will run even faster.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lot of money. And a LOT of money to lose. Yet... that's a lesson that, after saving for a decade or decades might save her tens of thousands. Might be a bit more cautious in the future.
I guess... better to lose $5,000 now than $50,000 in 20 years.

Wow. I'm sorry she's going through this. It's probably the hardest thing to do as a parent--sit back and let them feel the consequences of their own decisions. Let's hope it brings positive results. We all know failure is the best teacher.

As I read recently, "Don't be afraid to start over. You aren't starting from scratch, you are starting from experience." If you went through the pain you might as well learn the lesson rather than having to repeat it. I know some people who never learn from their mistakes.

We're planning on driving to Ohio this weekend to visit my brother's family and their newborn. A bit nervous about it considering all the virus numbers are climbing again.

Safe travels

Top O the Mornin Dads! Low key weekend around here. DS spent a day starting to move into his studio apartment for last year of school. Me and Mrs went out to dinner for first time since this mess started, all good with distancing and process and nice to see our bartender / server friends. Have a good, short week for most of us and stay safe out there.

A return to the past with WDW Top 5 for the day ........... List the Top 5 attractions you want to see receive an update

And a terrible ending. Back in January, you may remember dd turned 18 and moved out to rebel against my harsh rules of cleaning her room, washing clothes, and working a job/ school or working around the house. I knew things were bad as she'd been hanging around my house more. Earlier in the week, her phone was disconnected. She finally burst into tears today and admitted that her thug roommates had conned her out of $5000 of her savings - all of it- in 5 1/2 months. She's broke. I paid her phone bill as her HS graduation present and moved her back home. All her stuff is in the garage, with a spraying of alcohol. She can wash and clean all of it tomorrow, and until then, she's on the couch. The thugs weren't home when i moved her out, she called them on phone to meet to explain, and i guess they didn't expect for me to be there. It wasn't a long conversation, but they are still alive. I'm home with a Mich Ultra pint and a cigar. I guess there could be a lawsuit, but she was never on the lease and everyone paid in cash. I told her this was her do-over, and she lost a lot of money and learned a hard lesson.
Sorry to hear about all the issues but as others have said, she's safe and back home and hopefully learned a tough lesson
Well, I am back at work today. Trying to dust off 6 weeks worth of cobwebs.
Relieved that there will be some money coming in again. But still wishing I could win the lottery because I would much rather sit on the couch all day instead of an office chair.
Not entirely sure how much work I will get. It should be at least a couple weeks, but maybe a bit more. Future planning doesn't go that far ahead these days.
Nice to hear some good news, hope it it proves to be good for you
Evening, the car shopping didn't go as planned, went looking for a Mustang Bullitt, ended up with a Challenger SRT. Both Ford dealers said they had one, but when I got there they didn't have one but could get me one. Drove through Dodge dealer and I spotted this.
View attachment 504691View attachment 504692View attachment 504693
Nice and congrats!
After visiting 3 building supply stores, I have re-posted.
Glad you got that straightened out. Sounds a bit like a Clark Griswold story
Evening guys. Spent the day at the beach with my parents and my kids.
A lot of work to organize, pack, unpack, pack again and unpack and put away at the end of the day. But everyone had a good time, so I'm happy. Exhausted and ready to pass out... but happy.
Sounds like a great day

DO NOT buy HP. They used to be good and low cost, but now they're just crap.
Seconded. The missus has one for work, and it is an absolute piece of proverbial.
Then again, it looks like everyone else here thinks Apple is produced by the minions of Satan, so what do I know?
I was a mac fanboy, we've had almost every version of their desktops over 25 years. Doc and your good self are totally right, they are pretty intuitive and I have never had a virus succeed in the Macs, although they were pretty well protected. But over here now they are £1000 for the entry level machine. That's just too tasty for what they are, for me.

Yes sir...many people mistakenly equate PC with windows. PC can (and does) run MANY different operating systems with windows being just one.

Again...with Linux, you can use much cheaper(slower or not top end) hardware. There are many mom and pop shops that put PCs together for low cost and are great for this purpose. On the other hand, if you get higher end hardware, then Linux will run even faster.

Thanks Doc!

A return to the past with WDW Top 5 for the day ........... List the Top 5 attractions you want to see receive an update
Kinda tough since many of the changes I haven't liked...nostalgia, ya know?

First one not hard---
Space mountain. Hurts my back now. Not sure if it's just wear and tear on the cars or me just getting older.

Speedway. Electric cars would help get rid of fumes, but still keep the joy for little ones.

Jungle cruise. Some of the animatronics could be better now.

Spaceship earth...oh wait, they already are.

IASM - gut it and replace instead of SM :sad:
Nah, guess we can't count that one since some of you crazy folks like it.

Peter Pan flight...the tracks are showing their age I think. Not bad, but I can feel the clicking in joints.

Do they use bluetooth?
If so, if you get a pc/laptop with a bluetooth adapter, should work.

That is an option, kind of leaning linux or apple. Seeing that with windows you need a large hard drive to hold the operating system, and that is where the major cost is with the hardware.

If you want cheaper, but easy and still full sized keyboard:

https://smile.amazon.com/ASUS-Ultra...cript=1&keywords=laptop&qid=1593438710&sr=8-4
More than enough for what you want and ASUS makes good stuff. My go to for motherboards for many years.

Or if you want larger screen/keyboard...
https://smile.amazon.com/ASUS-VivoB...cript=1&keywords=laptop&qid=1593438710&sr=8-3

I like those, but if I go with a laptop, I'm looking for something with an i7 core, and a large screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter