DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Less than a week and I can book my ADRs. This is getting super real guys.

We've been trying to get this trip going for 6 years now. Something always came up...unemployed for 6 months, wife unemployed for 9 months after that, came within a stone's throw of losing our house, massive health scare where I ended up in the hospital, my FIL having multiple health scares. But now, only 6 months away. It's hard to believe.

That said, Be Our Guest breakfast or lunch. Which would you recommend, and do we need ADRs for them?

(yes, I'm back with no rhyme or reason. Thus is the nature of the Turkey that Lurks.)
TL

We've been trying to get this trip going for 6 years now. Something always came up...unemployed for 6 months, wife unemployed for 9 months after that, came within a stone's throw of losing our house, massive health scare where I ended up in the hospital, my FIL having multiple health scares. But now, only 6 months away. It's hard to believe.

That said, Be Our Guest breakfast or lunch. Which would you recommend, and do we need ADRs for them?

(yes, I'm back with no rhyme or reason. Thus is the nature of the Turkey that Lurks.)
TL
Welcome back TL, we don’t need a rhyme or a reason.
Sorry to hear about your troubles but looks like you are coming out of the other side. Are we out there the same time then? I’m there Aug 24?
On the Be our guest front, breakfast is pretty poor, I’d do the lunch. It’s not fantastic, but it’s better than breakfast....

No. First “day”. Evening shift tomorrow, short change to a day shift on Sunday, day shift Monday and short change to night shift Monday night.
I have probably said it before, but that’s brutal. I used to do shift work, but would adjust to night or day and stay on it for a week or two. I was also away from home so time was somewhat meaningless anyway.

Filed my taxes. Owe $1038 to KGB, er um, IRS.
Not good. I’ve got a couple months to go before filing. I’ve always had a refund of some amount.
I sometimes have been smart and used some of it to pay down the mortgage.

Any suggestions for either the Dark Side (never been) or St Petes Beach gratefully received.
It depends on your kids. Most rides at Universal are more intense than Disney. My youngest hated everything besides Suess Landing last time we were there when she was 7. She also thinks Harry Potter is stupid, so that’s a big reason we skipped it last trip. Hopefully your kids will enjoy it more.
For the love of god, go out out to Citywalk to eat. Inside the parks is dismal. Have a decent breakfast, get snacks in the parks during the day, and get out for supper. I liked Hard Rock Cafe. Heard great things about Toothsome Chocolate Emporium.

Morning all, found out that I got a raise at work but it put me in a different tax bracket so I bring home less now while making more.
I would say congrats but it doesn’t sound as good as it should.

I know the feeling. I had life things keep me away for four years. I finally went back last August. I hope you have a great time. Absence does make the heart grow fonder.

TL

Welcome Back Turkey Lurkey! :wave: Do lunch and get a ADR for it...

Morning gents.
Two more day shifts and a night shift then days off.

I'm not sure if breakfast will get you in the park earlier... if it does, it might be worth it, if that's the goal.
Otherwise. Lunch. And definitely get an ADR, unless you enjoy standing in hour long lines. Don't be overly surprised if you can't even get an ADR for early in the trip, but try later (if your schedule permits)
For example, I just tried to make an ADR for BOG on August 16th for lunch. The only time available is 11:05. But there was a time.

The French onion soup there is really quite good (probably the best thing on the menu IMHO.)
The braised pork gets good reviews although I've found it to be a bit hit or miss. The carved turkey sandwich gets good reviews too.
And while "The Master's cupcake" gets all the fanfare (Because it has the "Grey stuff" on top), and it is pretty good, I'd probably pick something else for dessert (Lemon meringue cupcake for me. Yum!)

Hope that helps... and welcome back!

Morning all. Scheduled holiday from work this AM (President's Day Weekend). Our furniture is falling apart and I may go try to stimulate our economy somewhere. I was hoping to wait until both dds are out of the house.

But nothing beats a cold Coke out of a glass bottle on a hot day, no?

All of their mates to get a bit richer? I do agree with you, Govermental debt is a strange one. Due to the rates in the Marshall Plan in the second world war, the UK paid its last instalment to the US in something like 2010. If we didn't pay it, were you going to repossess London Bridge?

Yes, McDonald's cokes. I don't know if it is the same worldwide, but coke ships out differently, McDonald's stores it differently, and it is mixed differently. I agree that a cold coke out of a glass bottle or a cold beer out of a glass bottle on hot days taste terrific. However, not as good as McDonald's for Coke or draft beer at right settings.

As for the debt, I've reached some similar conclusions. Since we are borrowing from future generations, are they time traveling back to collect? As Penny on Big Bang theory said time travel is impossible because people from the future would already be here. So, if no one is going to collect, then why pay any taxes at all?

That said, Be Our Guest breakfast or lunch. Which would you recommend, and do we need ADRs for them?)
TL

Glad you survived thru all that. As for BoG, I didn't care for any of them. I'm glad we tried it, but we won't return. The food is not that great, ready crowded, and wasn't worth the ADR. Columbia Harbour House is our go to at MK. Still, from your options, I would also pick lunch for the reasons given as I don't think that will get you in park early.

Last edited:
The French onion soup there is really quite good (probably the best thing on the menu IMHO.)
The braised pork gets good reviews although I've found it to be a bit hit or miss. The carved turkey sandwich gets good reviews too.
And while "The Master's cupcake" gets all the fanfare (Because it has the "Grey stuff" on top), and it is pretty good, I'd probably pick something else for dessert (Lemon meringue cupcake for me. Yum!)

Agreed on the soup. I think I went with the Monte Cristo last time, and it was decent.

We ended up getting 4 desserts and splitting each among the 4 of us last time. Worked pretty well.

Trying dinner on the next trip - we'll see if it's worth it.

Morning Guys,

Hope all is well with everyone, haven't had a chance to check in for a few days. I had a few minutes before heading out to another of the venue and thought I would pop in.

Canada Games got underway for real yesterday with the actual competitions getting underway, today all the first week sports start up. Red Deer has been good so far but it is freaking cold!!

Declan's high school basketball career came to an end yesterday. They lost a close one in the provincial semi-final to our cross-town rival. I'm told it was a great game so I'll go with that.

Have a good one all!

giphy.gif

Morning all. That weekend lasted 2 seconds. Now it's time for a 500 hour week. This year has started just so extremely slow.

Declan's high school basketball career came to an end yesterday. They lost a close one in the provincial semi-final to our cross-town rival. I'm told it was a great game so I'll go with that.
!

Congrats on the end of the career. Any future plans?

Thanks, it could be worse. The upper respiratory crud going around finally caught up with me but this is a relatively quiet week in the office so I'll survive as long as we don't get washed away. 4.5" of rain in the weekly forecast on top of already saturated soils.

We have a similar forecast here - lots of rain on already soggy and river filled areas. The county was giving away sandbags a few weeks ago for residents to try and prevent flooding. Good luck.

Morning, gents.

The upper respiratory crud going around finally caught up with me

Sorry to hear that. Hope you start feeling better soon.

4.5" of rain in the weekly forecast on top of already saturated soils.

That doesn't sound good!

That weekend lasted 2 seconds. Now it's time for a 500 hour week.

Funny how that works.
And by funny I mean "son of a bitch!"

The county was giving away sandbags a few weeks ago for residents to try and prevent flooding.

That doesn't sound good either. Never a good thing when the sandbags come out. Was the county giving away the sand too? As in "Here's the bags, there's the sand to fill them with."
or are they already filled? Or... ?

I'm not sure if breakfast will get you in the park earlier... if it does, it might be worth it, if that's the goal.
Otherwise. Lunch. And definitely get an ADR, unless you enjoy standing in hour long lines. Don't be overly surprised if you can't even get an ADR for early in the trip, but try later (if your schedule permits)
For example, I just tried to make an ADR for BOG on August 16th for lunch. The only time available is 11:05. But there was a time.

Hope that helps... and welcome back!

Interesting that so many are recommending lunch, I had heard that breakfast was a better bang for your buck. We have been leaning towards lunch, just because, but my eldest is a picky eater and I'm not sure if there is enough choices for her on the adult menu. (I know she can pick from the kids menu, but we don't want her to know that, otherwise all she'll eat is chicken nuggets the whole trip.)

Welcome back TL, we don’t need a rhyme or a reason.
Sorry to hear about your troubles but looks like you are coming out of the other side. Are we out there the same time then? I’m there Aug 24?
On the Be our guest front, breakfast is pretty poor, I’d do the lunch. It’s not fantastic, but it’s better than breakfast....

We're hitting ground at MCO on the 21st, will be there for about a week.

Glad you survived thru all that. As for BoG, I didn't care for any of them. I'm glad we tried it, but we won't return. The food is not that great, ready crowded, and wasn't worth the ADR. Columbia Harbour House is our go to at MK. Still, from your options, I would also pick lunch for the reasons given as I don't think that will get you in park early.

The only reason we're going is that the oldest dd is super into Beauty and the Beast, and we figured this would be "her" special meal (Wife's getting Akershus Breakfast, I'm getting Ohana Dinner, and we're letting our youngest decide between 1900 Park Fare, Garden Grill, or O'hana Breakfast). If it weren't for that I'd pass altogether on that restaurant. (Plus, it's a quick service credit, so that's a bonus.)

TL

I've been making the Grey Stuff at home for a while now (found a good recipe online), so the allure of the Master's Cupcake holds no power over us. lol

TL

Top O the Mornin Dads! Getting progress report today on FIL from rehab facility and then later this week they are gonna do a home review to figure out what he needs in terms of equipment and therapy to return home and be safe. Gonna be a bit of a struggle as he thinks MIL is just gonna do everything for him - she's 82 coming off hip surgery (doing great) and she is not a trained care giver. He thinks he's gonna go home and push a button while just sitting on his backside so gonna be some more tough love me thinks.
Right, so the 2019 Orlando trip is all set. 21st August in the Hard Rock at the Dark Side, 24th to 31st at the Poly, 31st to the 5th Sep in the Don Cesar at St Petes. Any suggestions for either the Dark Side (never been) or St Petes Beach gratefully received.
Nice long trip, well done.
Morning all, found out that I got a raise at work but it put me in a different tax bracket so I bring home less now while making more. I spent yesterday working on the van as the snow started. Got about 6 inches of snow.
Invest more in your 401K (if you have one) or to a Roth IRA. Will drop you back down to the lower tax bracket and you'll get more back
Congrats, I think. I'd look into what Doc suggested especially if any increase to the 401k increases company match.
Does being on draft make it taste better?
Yep as long as the lines are maintained and kept clean.

TL
Welcome back and good to see that you are on the other side of some life challenges. Lunch and ADR. Doing lunch there in June as breakfast is pretty weak. More the theming of the place than the food.
Morning Guys,

Hope all is well with everyone, haven't had a chance to check in for a few days. I had a few minutes before heading out to another of the venue and thought I would pop in.

Canada Games got underway for real yesterday with the actual competitions getting underway, today all the first week sports start up. Red Deer has been good so far but it is freaking cold!!

Have a good one all!
Bitter sweet I'm sure for Declan's HS hoops coming to a close. Lots of good memories for you guys to have though.

otherwise all she'll eat is chicken nuggets the whole trip.

hmmm... you're on vacation... at Disney... is that really such a bad thing?

I've been making the Grey Stuff at home for a while now (found a good recipe online), so the allure of the Master's Cupcake holds no power over us. lol

Really! :worship:

Getting progress report today on FIL from rehab facility and then later this week they are gonna do a home review to figure out what he needs in terms of equipment and therapy to return home and be safe. Gonna be a bit of a struggle as he thinks MIL is just gonna do everything for him - she's 82 coming off hip surgery (doing great) and she is not a trained care giver. He thinks he's gonna go home and push a button while just sitting on his backside so gonna be some more tough love me thinks.

Best of luck!

Thanks, it could be worse. The upper respiratory crud going around finally caught up with me but this is a relatively quiet week in the office so I'll survive as long as we don't get washed away. 4.5" of rain in the weekly forecast on top of already saturated soils.

I am sorry to hear all that Shawn... I'm be pring for you and I give you permission to change your avatar back to...

joealb.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter