DDA Chapter 27

Oh, and we did take a quick vacation this year. We stopped to visit Matthew in Lake George, NY where I also ran a half marathon. Then we drove through Vermont and New Hampshire to spend a few days in Maine. We went to Baxter State Park and then Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. I thought about you as we went through Vermont, Deb. I don't know how close to you we were. I couldn't remember where you live. We were on Route 4, I think.

Oh, and we did take a quick vacation this year. We stopped to visit Matthew in Lake George, NY where I also ran a half marathon. Then we drove through Vermont and New Hampshire to spend a few days in Maine. We went to Baxter State Park and then Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. I thought about you as we went through Vermont, Deb. I don't know how close to you we were. I couldn't remember where you live. We were on Route 4, I think.

You were probably within 10 minutes of us. We are 10 minutes from Quechee, VT and less than 2 hours from Lake George. We haven't gotten over to Six Flags in a while. Maybe we could meet there sometime. They have a nice indoor waterpark for a winter getaway.

Hunter started his Junior year Monday, Colby starts 5th grade tomorrow and Nick gets dropped off at College on Sunday. Our house is an absolute madhouse right now. We didn't do any vacation this summer as we all were working. I managed to survive being Director of Venture's Summer camp for our Rec Dept. 80 kids and 20 employees. It was a lot of 10 hour days, but it helped with the college fund.
WOW. I bet you were perfect for that job!

:woohoo:congrats on the 1/2!

Loving the old photos. I remember that Beetles shirt.

We enjoyed the resorts this year but not so much the parks. Not loving fast pass +. I also wasn't up for fighting with the others to get to the parks at rope drop. We pretty much did the 3 rides we had fast passes for & that was it. Just about every ride had long lines now that they all have fast pass lines. The parks seemed more crowded too but we were there in early Aug not late Aug to use our APs before they expire.

I think it might be time for a Disney break. I have other plans for my bday next May so I really shouldn't go in the fall because I don't have tickets. That said I did book a bounce back for next Aug "just in case".;)

Good morning, DDA! :sunny:

I also get excited to see updates to this old thread. I cannot believe how "old" your kids have all gotten. :eek: Ours were pretty much grown when we started our first DDA thread so the changes there are not so huge. Kristin is now 28 and has been applying for new jobs; banking has just about done it for her after 6 years. Kathrin will be 36 in October (that's almost as old as some of you are ;) ). She and her long-time boyfriend became engaged in Paso Robles, CA last month. They were on vacation and he surprised her with this gorgeous ring.

30a888c4-6bfa-459c-9b41-387bcd06da1a_zps7d7ee7d8.jpg

There are no immediate plans for a wedding, but you can be sure I will let you all know when there are!

We have traveled a lot this summer. I had a student chosen to play in the Yamaha National Junior Original Concert so had the opportunity to go back to Phoenix in June. Then, Kathrin and I surprised Bob with a small mobility scooter for Father's Day and it has changed our lives. Besides being able to go downtown and grocery shopping and to the docks to see the river we have been to a Washington Nationals game in DC, to the Outer Banks, to Punxsutawney for my 45th HS Reunion (and to see his 97 year old Dad), to Boston for a re-certification seminar (and we got to see my brother and his family, my sister and BIL and Kathrin). In two weeks I had driven over 2000 miles so I am still recovering!

I am headed to WDW with a DIS friend for a long weekend next month and then Bob and I return for our annual Food & Wine Festival trip from October 31-November 9. Kristin and her room mate will join us for most of that trip and we have other friends who will also be there the same time. It will probably be the highlight of our year's travels!

I hope a few of us will start to post on here again. I really do miss hearing from you all; facebook doesn't always "share" what you post on there and some of us aren't even on facebook!

I hope you all have good days. :goodvibes

I forgot to mention that as Bob and I were watching a Nationals game on TV earlier this month, we saw a familiar face right behind home plate! Jen and her uncle were at the game. :) I had. been in the DC area that day and we just missed each other. :(

She posted a picture on facebook of her view and I knew exactly where she was sitting
We texted back and forth and I sent her a picture from our TV :rotfl:

351e9d27-7032-4d4c-9380-b9437876067a_zps92eba422.jpg

Chris was on TV at a Red Sox game a couple of weeks ago. He had seats on the third base line. My SIL saw him on TV. :rotfl2:

It's great to see everyone here, yes it has been a long time and I can't get over how everyone's kids have grown. I bet I wouldn't recognize yours Bernadette. Congrats on the 1/2 Beth, you are an inspiration.
Today was spent at doctor visits, I started off at my pulmonologist, just a regular visit, and left there to meet my daughter at her ob-gyn, she was disappointed that she is still dilated at a 1, she is so ready, but our little man is not. He scheduled her for induction on the 15th so that is the date unless Nathan decides to come earlier. I hate to see her miserable but I would rather that than risk health issues with the baby. After her appointment I had to go to physical therapy, things are going ok it's just going to be a long process.
We booked a trip in November for Richie's 50th birthday, we really can't afford to spend Disney money with me not working, but he really wants to go. We cut corners by spending two nights at his brother's (he lives in Orlando) and staying at All Star Movies, (we are going to miss OKW) and making it a shorter trip.
I hate that we arrive on the 10th Elin and will just miss seeing you.
I'll have to make a point to check in here more often.

It's great to see everyone here, yes it has been a long time and I can't get over how everyone's kids have grown. I bet I wouldn't recognize yours Bernadette. Congrats on the 1/2 Beth, you are an inspiration.
Today was spent at doctor visits, I started off at my pulmonologist, just a regular visit, and left there to meet my daughter at her ob-gyn, she was disappointed that she is still dilated at a 1, she is so ready, but our little man is not. He scheduled her for induction on the 15th so that is the date unless Nathan decides to come earlier. I hate to see her miserable but I would rather that than risk health issues with the baby. After her appointment I had to go to physical therapy, things are going ok it's just going to be a long process.
We booked a trip in November for Richie's 50th birthday, we really can't afford to spend Disney money with me not working, but he really wants to go. We cut corners by spending two nights at his brother's (he lives in Orlando) and staying at All Star Movies, (we are going to miss OKW) and making it a shorter trip.
I hate that we arrive on the 10th Elin and will just miss seeing you.
I'll have to make a point to check in here more often.

I keep hoping all your doctor visits will have better and better outcomes for you, Debbie. :hug:

And I am so sorry we will miss seeing you and Richie again! I am glad you are going to have the opportunity to spend some time for his birthday in a place you both love. :goodvibes

So fun to see so many updates on this thread! I try to keep up on facebook, but that's not always possible!

Things here have been pretty rocky for a while. Financially, we haven't been doing well, and I am looking for jobs. The good news is that Alan finished his grad school, and is now a Master! His employer was scared that he would leave and find something better, so they are trying to sweeten the pot for him with more of the documentary filmwork that he loves to do, instead of the day to day crap (he's spent the last 2 days working on a story of a baby thrown in the trash).

Now that he's done with his schooling, he wants me to finish my Master's. So, starting October 1st, I will be in an intense year-long program to get my Master's of Education in Instructional Design. So, I may not be able to do a ton of posting, but I'll try to check in when I can! I'm excited but nervous to do this! Keep your fingers crossed for me. I will also be substitute teaching in our local district, and I've applied for a job at a local library. It's only part-time, but that with the subbing would really help us out, financially.

Katie is a Senior this year, and is actually enjoying her life, right now. This last year was the worst year of my life as a parent, and I hope never to go through that again. Katie was subjected to some of the most vicious bullying from a teacher in the drama department at her school, and that trickled down to the rest of the kids in the department. When they saw how he was treating her (and getting away with it), they felt justified in treating her the same way. It was awful! Kids who she thought were her best friends turned on her and hung her out to dry. She kept it hidden from us for a while, but we clued in... after her 3rd suicide attempt! She's now in therapy, and out of that department. I had some long talks with the principal and superintendent and the upshot is that he is on "probation" while he takes extra training, and has supervised classroom visits throughout this year. It was HORRIBLE!!! I'm so glad that she is liking her classes this year, and has found a creative outlet in her Guitar class, her AP Art class, AP English Lit, and Science Fiction and Fantasy writing class.

The other kids continue well. Jacob is a 9th grader, the twins just started 7th grade, and Timmy started Kindergarten. It's definitely a time of change for us all!

We have a Disneyland trip planned for June as a graduation present for Katie. Should be a lot of fun!!!

Thanks to all of you for your words of support when Alan's mom died in July. It was very kind, and meant a great deal to us!

Glynis, I'm so sorry to hear that Katie had to go through that. I pray that things continue to go well.

Glynis... my heart is sobbing for Katie and you. NO ONE has the right to bully. And for a teacher to instigate it is so unforgivable. I cannot believe he is only on probation! I would have been after his job. You are a strong woman.

Best of luck with your Masters work. And kudos for holding down the fort while Alan was finishing his. you all will be better for all of this. I am hoping for a much better yera for you all. :hug:

Just checking in, another day at therapy, my range of motion is doing great so we are starting to introduce some strength training.
We don't have any real plans this weekend but we need to spend some time with my mil, she has been doing great but after her last visit with her doctor she seems to be getting depressed. She finished her radiation and thought she would be able to skip chemo, he told her this time he thought he will be giving her a strong chemo that will make her very ill, she's wondering if it will be worth it. I don't know what to tell her, I did say I would hate to see her give up without a fight.

I am glad things are going well for you in PT, Debbie! I also hope your MIL listens to you... no one should give up without a fight!! :hug:

So I came across a thread where people were decorating their magic bands, some of which were outstanding. I decided I needed to give it a try, I ordered some Disney temporary tattoos and received Hello Kitty, is there something I don't know, does Hello Kitty belong to Disney? And no, I won't be wearing a Hello Kitty magic band, I was thinking Tinkerbell.

Glynis so sorry to hear about what Katie went through last year. Glad she is having a better school year. Good luck on your masters.

Wow Glynis you've been through a lot. I'm with Elin though that teacher would be gone. I'm glad that Katie is getting help and feeling better. I know that what we went through with Nick during his "dark" time was so scary and he never attempted suicide. He is doing well on meds and though I worried about him taking them at college he is and she says he is doing well. They hide things well, but I've learned to pick up on the little things. We still kick ourselves for missing his anxiety disorder for 7 years and that is what led to his depression. I'm here if you ever need anyone to bounce things off of. hugs

Okay Ladies and Tom and Chris :) I am planning a home skills lesson plan for my girls. Would you all be willing to look at it and let me know if I have missed anything?

We finally bit the bullet and booked a WDW trip. We haven't vacationed there since 2010. We have points to use so we are bringing the camper and staying at Fort Wilderness for 23 night. July 16th - August 8th. If anyone plans to be there during that time frame we'd love to meet up!

We finally bit the bullet and booked a WDW trip. We haven't vacationed there since 2010. We have points to use so we are bringing the camper and staying at Fort Wilderness for 23 night. July 16th - August 8th. If anyone plans to be there during that time frame we'd love to meet up!

Bummer we are planning Oct. need to decide where I want to stay. Going for Virginia's Birthday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!