DD Eczema..travel in June

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
We are looking at going to Disney the last week of June with the grandparents. However, my DD has eczema that flares up in the heat. Besides the usual topical hydrocortizone, Benadryl, and oatmeal baths..are there any tips to prevent outbreaks while at Disney? We will do early mornings at the park, and then afternoon A/C time and pool time.
Thanks!

Does it get bad when she sweats? How about keeping gold bond powder on hand to help keep sweat at bay? The cooling sensation might help in the heat too. How old is she?

The chlorine in the pool may be rough on her skin, too. We have to moisturize my son before he swims, make sure to rinse him after then moisturize again. We use liquid talc in the summer behind his knees and on his armpits.

Wicking fabrics may really help her, or they might remove too much moisture from her skin. My son can only wear natural fabrics against his skin without a flare up. If her eczema has any other triggers besides heat (food allergy, reaction to fragrance/chemicals, etc.) I would try to see where I could minimize exposure. I've read about people bringing sheets from home because they knew they were washed in a 'safe' detergent.

I have same issue. My only suggestion is to stay out of the pool as much as possible. Chlorine really abuses my skin. A good moisturizer is also good to have.

Good luck!

If you try the gold bond do the aerosol spray instead of the powder, but beware they are scented in case that bothers her.

This is what works for my daughter.
Stay very well hydrated
Cool mist humidifier in the hotel room - the AC dries the air so much
Apply aquafor every night before bed
Apply light cocoa butter lotion in the morning
light weight, light colored, long sleeve shirts might be good if she starts to flare
She only showers every other day, sponge baths in between

Every Gold Bond we've tried stings her :( But I know a lot of others love their products
Working Hands in the tin is GREAT for keeping up good skin, but it stings VERY BADLY if the skin is flaring (for my daughter, anyway)

The pool doesn't bother her at all, but we do make sure to rinse off when we get out and put on a good lotion afterwards.

Don’t sit on the sidewalk or pavement. The stuff they use to clean it may set her off.

Make sure none of her clothing is tight enough to rub. No cuffed socks.

Also consider that sun protection is a must when outdoors, as the humidity and pavement just magnify the intensity of the sun. If sunscreen irritates her skin, bring loose clothing that covers. Including a hat.
You can plan park activities like shows that are indoors during the day, in addition to your wise plan of taking breaks during the heat of the day. Lunch might be a good time for a character meal so you can spend those cooler morning and/or evening hours in the parks or pool.

I would recommend Emuaid Maximum for exzema. I buy it from amazon, not cheap but it works and you can avoid benadryl and steroid creams. my son is older now but suffered terribly from exzema for many years.

my daughter uses emuaid for another skin condition, but check reviews on the product.

allergy dr told me most kids that have food allergies also have exzema, your child should probably get allergy tests, you never know.

my son is very allergic to fish

good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter