DCL V RC to Alaska

We sailed Disney to Alaska in June and would do it again. It was a phenomenal cruise.

We sailed with Disney in 2017 to Alaska and are doing it again (slightly different itinerary, doing ISP as well) in 2019. We briefly considered switching to Celebrity for the same itinerary (same dates too, one day earlier than the Wonder) but decided not to make the switch as our kids still LOVE the clubs/lab, Edge, etc. It was only $900 cheaper to sail Celebrity, not worth it for us (now I know it would be worth it for others, that's just us).

I’m looking at prices of Alaska with other lines and they all seem to be quite expensive

Is Alaska known to just be quite expensive. Balcony’s seem deer to with most cruise lines

I’m looking at prices of Alaska with other lines and they all seem to be quite expensive

Is Alaska known to just be quite expensive. Balcony’s seem deer to with most cruise lines

Yes. Limited season, popular destination, limited ship numbers...

And excursions will be expensive also.

I was also wondering if my partner is pregnant during this cruise would there be many excursions she can’t do or will there still be lots to pick from in Alaska.

She really wanted to do the dog sled, can someone pregnant do that lol

Depending on how pregnant, she may not even be allowed to board. Definitely find out the rules for the lines you're looking at, and plan your trip or your procreating appropriately. :)

A good place to compare lines is Cruisecritic. The site is undergoing a refurbishment at the moment, though, which was supposed to be finished yesterday but seems to be behind schedule. Keep checking there. LOADS of BTDT info on all the different cruise lines, and about Alaska.

Yeah seems to be may to sept. Why is it such a limited season. Just to cold the other months ?
I'd say it's a mix of being too cold/bad weather, ice jamming the waterways and ports through the winter to early May, less daylight, and a bunch of shops closed for the season. (I know one of our tour guides pointed out the 1 place that would be open in the winter, the rest are only open for the tourist season.)

Depending on how pregnant, she may not even be allowed to board. Definitely find out the rules for the lines you're looking at, and plan your trip or your procreating appropriately. :)

A good place to compare lines is Cruisecritic. The site is undergoing a refurbishment at the moment, though, which was supposed to be finished yesterday but seems to be behind schedule. Keep checking there. LOADS of BTDT info on all the different cruise lines, and about Alaska.

I think RC it’s up to 6 months and she defo won’t be over that so should be ok

Yeah seems to be may to sept. Why is it such a limited season. Just to cold the other months ?
Besides the weather - ships are sailing elsewhere in the spring and fall.

Dog sledding usually involves a flight (plane or helicopter), and it’s one of the most expensive excursions because of the flight. Check with the tour operator regarding pregnant passengers.

Besides the weather - ships are sailing elsewhere in the spring and fall.

Dog sledding usually involves a flight (plane or helicopter), and it’s one of the most expensive excursions because of the flight. Check with the tour operator regarding pregnant passengers.

Aww that’s a shame. So you can’t do dog sledding with out getting a flight. I thought it would have been nearby at one of the ports

Aww that’s a shame. So you can’t do dog sledding with out getting a flight. I thought it would have been nearby at one of the ports
In the 'summer', the dog sledding is done on the glaciers, which can only be reached by helicopter/plane--and can have a lot of cancellations if there is fog. You can do dog-cart rides without a flight. The dog team pulls a wheeled cart (ours seated up to 6 people in 3 rows) on a dirt track. Still not sure if it's something that's safe while pregnant...it's a pretty bumpy ride with dirt/pebbles coming at you, lol. We loved our ride, but yeah, our kids who were in the front row of the cart got the pebbles coming at them. We did the dog-cart ride up at Caribou Crossing Trading Post in the Yukon--it was part of our Chilkoot Charters excursion from Skagway--Bus up to the Yukon with various picture stops, short shopping stop, then a longer stop for lunch/dog cart/museum, etc, then the White Pass Scenic Railway back to Skagway. It was a fantastic excursion!

In the 'summer', the dog sledding is done on the glaciers, which can only be reached by helicopter/plane--and can have a lot of cancellations if there is fog. You can do dog-cart rides without a flight. The dog team pulls a wheeled cart (ours seated up to 6 people in 3 rows) on a dirt track. Still not sure if it's something that's safe while pregnant...it's a pretty bumpy ride with dirt/pebbles coming at you, lol. We loved our ride, but yeah, our kids who were in the front row of the cart got the pebbles coming at them. We did the dog-cart ride up at Caribou Crossing Trading Post in the Yukon--it was part of our Chilkoot Charters excursion from Skagway--Bus up to the Yukon with various picture stops, short shopping stop, then a longer stop for lunch/dog cart/museum, etc, then the White Pass Scenic Railway back to Skagway. It was a fantastic excursion!

Sounds amazing that

Yeah not sure if it’s a good idea while pregnant if it’s really bumpy

I just hope there’s still lots of excursions she can pick from ‍♂️

What excursions would be suitable if pregnant
The excursion I mentioned in Skagway through Chilkoot Charters can be done without the dogcart ride--it's an 'add on'. The rest of that excursion is fine. Caribou Crossing Trading Post has puppies to hold and petting zoo type animals, as well as taxidermy animals in the 'wildlife' museum (we didn't have time for that due to the dog cart part.) Skagway also has the Klondike Gold Rush National park--free walking tours, etc. The White Pass Scenic railway is there--we really did prefer having the bus/train combo as I really don't need to be on a train that long!

In Ketchikan, there are various tours to see totem poles, and the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show was near the ship docks.

Juneau--lots of people go whale watching from here...but if I had morning sickness already, the last thing I'd want to do is get on a smaller boat where you'd actually feel the waves. We took a 'glacier' shuttle bus to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor center. The Mt. Roberts Tramway is near where the cruise ships dock/shuttle drops you off--best to wait until that day though to make sure it's nicer weather to actually 'see' stuff from the top! I think there are a variety of other land excursions here as well--visits to gardens, etc.

I was also wondering if my partner is pregnant during this cruise would there be many excursions she can’t do or will there still be lots to pick from in Alaska.

She really wanted to do the dog sled, can someone pregnant do that lol
We did great excursions, they weren't crazy expensive, and I think they would all be doable by a pregnant woman. Here is a link to a post in which I described our excursions on our Alaska cruise this June:
Alaska - what is the difference?

Last edited:
We did Alaska on DCL in August 2017 and on NCL in July 2018. We hands-down preferred DCL to NCL but we are fully Disney people. There were certain things we enjoyed (like the 'free' Unlimited beverage package) but overall we just felt bored on NCL. We love the Disney shows, trivia, movies, animation sessions, etc. and just couldn't find much to match that on NCL.

BUT considering the price difference for Alaska I would 100% recommend giving another line a try. I know you are looking at RCL not NCL but I don't regret giving another line a shot, and who knows you may end up loving RCL more than DCL. Different people like different things so I say give it a shot!

We sailed with Disney in 2017 to Alaska and are doing it again (slightly different itinerary, doing ISP as well) in 2019. We briefly considered switching to Celebrity for the same itinerary (same dates too, one day earlier than the Wonder) but decided not to make the switch as our kids still LOVE the clubs/lab, Edge, etc. It was only $900 cheaper to sail Celebrity, not worth it for us (now I know it would be worth it for others, that's just us).

I find this again and again for my family. That it just isn't worth the $1000 or less price difference to switch. I really want to get a balcony for Alaska and since I don't mind taking DD out of school we might be able to afford it for our 2020 trip. Also because it will just be the two of us I want to be extra sure that she will have fun in the clubs and that the entertainment will be appropriate. I also don't want to have to buy a drinks package just so she can have hot cocoa. Will any of that make sense to people who sail multiple lines? Probably not. But it works for us.

We are late 20s/early 30 with no kids

I'v looked up prices for ovation of the seas to Disney for the 7 nights and there is only about 400 of a difference for middle of May

I just don't no what we should go for

We aren't long of the symphony of the seas and there was loads to do, but we also love the Disney magic. We loved the night life on royal but that won't matter as much if she's pregnant

Aghhhh don't no what to help. What u think

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter