DCL Confessions

We once delayed the start of a private crew party in the pub. We came in late in the evening, carrying our drinks from the bar next door because they were starting a dance party there and it was too loud to talk. We sat in the back of the pub and were talking and wondered why no one came to ask us if we wanted another drink. We kept seeing crew members poke their heads in from the side door and then go back out. Finally someone came over and we asked if they were closing and they said they had stopped serving an hour ago because they were having a crew party. But they were not allowed to ask guests to leave so the party had to wait until guests cleared out.

I had no desire to take a cruise because I thought I would hate it. All I had heard about was small rooms and tiny bathrooms/showers, and thought that doesn't sound very luxurious. DH convinced me to do a 4 night cruise on the Big Red Boat for our honeymoon by telling me we could go to WDW too. Well, 23 years later we are coming up on cruises #23 and 24 (with only 3 of those being Non DCL), so I guess I do like cruising after all...and DH created a monster. :rotfl:

Also when traveling with a group we were allowed to stay in Wavebands, well past the closing time. Our waiters set us up with drinks before they left, extra limes, bottled water, etc... and told us we could stay as late as we wanted, which we did. We closed the door when we left. :goodvibes

I had no desire to take a cruise because I thought I would hate it. All I had heard about was small rooms and tiny bathrooms/showers, and thought that doesn't sound very luxurious. DH convinced me to do a 4 night cruise on the Big Red Boat for our honeymoon by telling me we could go to WDW too. Well, 23 years later we are coming up on cruises #23 and 24 (with only 3 of those being Non DCL), so I guess I do like cruising after all...and DH created a monster. :rotfl:

Also when traveling with a group we were allowed to stay in Wavebands, well past the closing time. Our waiters set us up with drinks before they left, extra limes, bottled water, etc... and told us we could stay as late as we wanted, which we did. We closed the door when we left. :goodvibes

Wavebands is a bit of dated reference now.

I took someone's lounge chair to watch a Patriot's game on the Funnel Vision. It had a ship towel on it, nobody around the chair knew who's it was. The only people in the pool were kids. I watched it for 45 minutes and finally moved the towel aside and sat my fat behind on it, enjoyed the game.

Wow..been holding that in for a long time. :P

I took someone's lounge chair to watch a Patriot's game on the Funnel Vision. It had a ship towel on it, nobody around the chair knew who's it was. The only people in the pool were kids. I watched it for 45 minutes and finally moved the towel aside and sat my fat behind on it, enjoyed the game.

Wow..been holding that in for a long time. :P
Read an excellent tip last night for taking a chair being held with just a towel. After you remove the towel, if possible, move the chair. Even if it’s just a really short move, move it. It further confuses the towel person if they should return. I thought that was a great idea...and kinda funny!

Read an excellent tip last night for taking a chair being held with just a towel. After you remove the towel, if possible, move the chair. Even if it’s just a really short move, move it. It further confuses the towel person if they should return. I thought that was a great idea...and kinda funny!

Good point, but I'd even be perfectly willing to give the chair back if the towel "owner" returns. @Disney1fan2002 was smart to watch the chair for a while. It was unlikely they were coming back, and if they did, he/she could have easily returned the chair to them and taken another one. There are usually quite a number of chairs with towels on them where the person doesn't come back for a very long time, if at all.

Confession. I dont sleep on cruise ships at all. i love going on the boat and i live for my next cruise but i cannot sleep. I usually fall a sleep for like an hour and i wake back up and stay awake until 4 am. so what i like to do is walk around the boat. its quite and a bit eerie but i have gotten use to it over the years. typically its me and whomever is vacuuming the atrium. so if you are ever awake late and cant sleep come find me lurking the halls! wow i am a weirdo.
OK, I don't do this every night, but I do this on the last night of a cruise. I'm always bummed that we are leaving the next morning, and don't want to feel like I missed anything, so I walk all around the ship taking photos until 2 a.m. or so.

OK, I don't do this every night, but I do this on the last night of a cruise. I'm always bummed that we are leaving the next morning, and don't want to feel like I missed anything, so I walk all around the ship taking photos until 2 a.m. or so.
Upon realizing our last night is at hand, DS and I raced around to do two Midship Detective's games at midnight.

Upon realizing our last night is at hand, DS and I raced around to do two Midship Detective's games at midnight.
I thought Midship Detective quit working at a certain time each night so as to not have people running up and down stairs and hallways disturbing people late at night. I could be wrong though.

I thought Midship Detective quit working at a certain time each night so as to not have people running up and down stairs and hallways disturbing people late at night. I could be wrong though.

I remember it shutting down too. Maybe someone forgot to turn it off if it's done manually?

I checked some Navigators and they show it as ending at 11PM.

Last edited:
It was either close to midnight or after midnight that we finished the last one. Others were doing it, too, so at some stations, we had to wait. Maybe it's different on the last day?

I have copies of Navigators from a seven day cruise on Disney Fantasy for Sat Sept 16 2017 to Sat Sept 23 2017 and the listed hours for Midship Detective Agency are:
Sat Sept 16 11:30am-10pm
Sun Sept 17 9am-10pm
Mon Sept 18 9am-10pm
Tues Sept 19 9am-10pm
Wed Sept 20 9am-10pm
Thurs Sept 21 9am-10pm
Fri Sept 22 9am-10pm

Maybe they do different hours depending on the cruise, ship, time of year, ect.

Last edited:
I have copies of Navigators from a seven day cruise on Disney Fantasy for Sat Sept 16 2017 to Sat Sept 23 2018 and the listed hours for Midship Detective Agency are:
Sat Sept 16 11:30am-10pm
Sun Sept 17 9am-10pm
Mon Sept 18 9am-10pm
Tues Sept 19 9am-10pm
Wed Sept 20 9am-10pm
Thurs Sept 21 9am-10pm
Fri Sept 22 9am-10pm

Maybe they do different hours depending on the cruise, ship, time of year, ect.
What can I tell you? I know we were doing it after 11:30 on the last night, because DS13 missed the goodbye at the Edge to do it. There were others doing it with us, too. But I went to my Navigator for that night and it says it's only available until 10pm, too. I guess it's possible that we started it before 10pm, so they allowed us to finish it? I don't know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter