DCL Confessions

Our "confessions":
We only take longer cruises and can't understand taking a 3 or 4 day.

Our biggie happened on our first DCL. We realized my wave phone was missing on our disembarkation day. We saw the cruise director and my husband talked to him, explaining that we were sure it was on the ship, lost in a theater or some such. We left the ship and were not charged for it. Later my husband pulled out his suit for his navy reunion which was at the end of our trip. There was the wavephone in his pocket! We felt so bad. We called DCL and mailed it back to them as soon as we got home. (I felt vindicated that I had not lost the phone.)

We've never gone to Palo and can't see paying the upcharge when we love the food in the MDRs.

I had the audacity to sit on my husband's knee, in a bar, well after 11 at night. Was then lectured that "don't y'all realise that this is a Disney Cruise"?! Guess that public displays of affection are frowned upon by some, whereas arguements are not!

We have played Cards Against Humanity on more than one occasion it was on Deck 11 and in the bars, they let us stay after close as long as we wanted. I could only imagine what would have been said...

Some people have Disney blinders. I honestly laugh whenever the subject of Hawaii cruises come up and the responses lean towards, "well, I'll go to Aulani instead", as if there is no other option. My goodness! In the entire Hawaiian islands you can't think of anywhere else to go but a Disney property???? We travel extensively. Sometimes it's with Disney. Most times it isn't. All are wonderful. I feel bad for those that think only one certain brand (whatever that brand might be) can make them happy. I guess that's my Disney confession.

Edited to add:
For the record, we own three Toyotas :-) - a Highlander, a Tundra and an FJ Cruiser.

I've never taken a Disney or Carnival cruise - just my 2 cents on Aulani: we stayed with a friend who grew up and lives in Oahu, then hopped to Kauai. We had 2 meals at the Aulani, the character breakfast and the dinner at their signature restaurant, and I would 100% stay there if money is no object. It's a gorgeous hotel, similar to AKL in Disney World, and doesn't feel overly Disney themed at all. The service and food at both meals was great. The Four Seasons next door would probably be the only comparible option in terms of quality (obviously, for a price).

My DH doesn't like cruise ships, and would probably only really enjoy something small like one of those pricey National Geographic ships for Alaska, but our kids are too little, thus considering Disney.

We have a Ford Explorer.

My confession is that I did not think Palo brunch was anything to rave about. I LOVED spending three hours with my new friend I met on our cruise group board and that was awesome! I liked everything I tried — we even ordered the chicken parm and grape pizza but, again, not that memorable. I think if guests live somewhere without access to nice restaurants or high end resort brunches, then I can understand why many would really enjoy the opportunity to have brunch at Palo.

Our server was very kind. It was enjoyable but def not a must-do in my opinion.

I have two confessions:

(1) I let my two year old eat a whole cupcake at the Vista café because I really wanted to get the Tobleron-tini they have there, right before it was DH's turn to watch him (he gets sugar crazy).
(2) We forgot said two year old's lambie snuggle toy in the disembarkation rush -- gotta love DCL service, as they mailed it to us!

I found a tube of H2O lotion from our last cruise 2 years ago in a pocket of a seldom used suitcase while packing for this next cruise!
I learned to hoard the shampoo, etc. from reading disboards!
I read disboards way too much!!

Confession. I dont sleep on cruise ships at all. i love going on the boat and i live for my next cruise but i cannot sleep. I usually fall a sleep for like an hour and i wake back up and stay awake until 4 am. so what i like to do is walk around the boat. its quite and a bit eerie but i have gotten use to it over the years. typically its me and whomever is vacuuming the atrium. so if you are ever awake late and cant sleep come find me lurking the halls! wow i am a weirdo.

3. I judge everyone negatively who compares/likes Carnival over Disney. It's like comparing the dollar store to Bloomingdale's.

That's okay, I judge everyone negatively who thinks that Carnival is like a dollar store or the Walmart of the Seas. It's a great cruiseline with better food than DCL, a better variety of evening stuff (especially for adults), beds that still split apart (thank goodness), and a great fun atmosphere including other cruisers who are welcoming and friendly. I think that people who can't see that are snobs who can only feel better about themselves by putting other people down.

That's okay, I judge everyone negatively who thinks that Carnival is like a dollar store or the Walmart of the Seas. It's a great cruiseline with better food than DCL, a better variety of evening stuff (especially for adults), beds that still split apart (thank goodness), and a great fun atmosphere including other cruisers who are welcoming and friendly. I think that people who can't see that are snobs who can only feel better about themselves by putting other people down.
So....are you confessing you like Carnival better or that you don't like people that like Disney better or both?
Is it possible to not agree and still be nice?

So....are you confessing you like Carnival better or that you don't like people that like Disney better or both?
Is it possible to not agree and still be nice?
I think maybe the point was that people who act snooty and look down upon Carnival cruisers/product in a judgy way aren’t so nice. The choice of verbiage appears to mirror and play on words chosen by the person she quoted. So while, yes, it comes off harsh & maybe not so nice, mirroring what the original person said is a way of reflecting their attitude back at them.

:rotfl: You're in good company here. :goodvibes

IRL I think people think we're crazy to sail DCL (and no, it has nothing to do with price). It's funny how judgmental people get over how other people choose to travel or spend their own money.
Exactly. If Disney is someone’s thing, that’s cool. If throwing in non-Disney cruises is someone’s thing, that’s cool, too. The fact that there’s something for everyone is a very good thing. Nobody should be treated adversely for differences in opinion &/or perspective.

Exactly. If Disney is someone’s thing, that’s cool. If throwing in non-Disney cruises is someone’s thing, that’s cool, too. The fact that there’s something for everyone is a very good thing. Nobody should be treated adversely for differences in opinion &/or perspective.

Yes! And think about it, if no one wanted to go and cruise with other cruise lines, we REALLY couldn't afford DCL!!! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter