Day Trip To Paris

PigSoldier

to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand wav
Hi all! :)

We've decided to take advantage of the 4 for 3 nights offer, and have a day trip to Paris while we're there, and, naturally, I have a few questions :teeth:

We quite fancy seeing:
  • The Louvre
  • The Pompidou Centre
  • The Champs Elysee
  • Notre Dame

How many of them do you think it would be possible to fit into a day? Which would you choose to do? What's the best order to do them in?

Has anyone got any recommendations food wise? We're not exactly fussy eaters, but nor are we fond of foie gras and snails, would we be best off sticking to croissants and crepes all day? (Which would suit me fine :teeth: )

And finally, shopping! I'm keen to get some good shopping done, where's the best place to go?

Thankyou very much in advance! :)

Wow, that's a lot to see in one day! :flower:

I'd save the Champs Elysees for the evening. It's better when it's lit up at night, plus most of those other attractions are closed at night. But I'd try to eat somewhere else. Many of the restaurants on the Champs Elysees are chain restaurants that have the same sort of thing you can get at home.

I love both the Louvre and the Pompidou Centre, but unless you just want to run in and out, it'll be hard to see both of them plus go to Notre Dame and get shopping time in. If you decide on the Louvre, perhaps you go to their website in advance and select certain parts to visit in advance. The place is huge, so that can come in handy. If you go to the Pompidou, you can probably see it all, as long as you don't linger too long.

Try to get your Louvre admission ticket in advance (you can buy it from their website). The lines to get in can be long.

When will you be visiting? During the summer months, the line to climb up to the top of Notre Dame can be long (but the views are amazing, the bells are great to see, and who doesn't love the gargoyles? :teeth: ). You may have to limit your visit to the inside of the cathedral itself.

For food, don't be nervous. I'm really not a fan of "exotic" things, but I've never had a problem eating in Paris. Heck, I eat too much in Paris. ;) My biggest advice is to avoid McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and other places of the like. If you want fast food, you can have it at Disneyland or at home. Avoid places that advertise their tourist menus very prominently- they tend not to be as good. If possible, if you go as little as 2-3 blocks away from the major tourist destinations, the food quality gets a lot better.

For shopping, well, Paris is the best. If you decide to go to department stores, Au Printemps & Galeries Lafayette are my favorites, plus they are both right next to each other. Also, try to go to Monoprix- there's one on the Champs Elysees that's open pretty late if you don't get to one during the day.

Here's my idea for an itinerary based on what you'd like to do:
Louvre in the morning. Get there early (like as soon as it opens)
Notre Dame
Lunch
Pompidou
Shopping
Dinner (they tend to eat pretty late in Paris)
Champs Elysees

If you decide which neighborhoods you will be in for lunch and dinner, I can check which restaurants we liked around there. :sunny:

One final thing: the Louvre and the Pompidou are each closed one day a week (Monday or Tuesday). Check in advance! Also, avoid Paris on a SUnday, as the shops are closed, and it's more difficult to visit Notre Dame when there is a Mass in session.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter